Suspension Brakes 1st Gen How To: Replace strut springs

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Steve, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #1 Steve, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    We just loaded another How-To in the Library. It's Keith's (k-huevo) excellent DIY guide for installation of suspension replacement springs.

Check it out.

How To: Replace Strut Springs

... and feel free to discuss, comment, suggest, ask questions here in this thread.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Oops, that link went to the wrong page...very embarrassing...thanks for fixing it goaljnky.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Great job to all those involved in adding to the library.

It's nice to know that if you are thinking of doing the mod yourself, it's comforting to know someone has blazed the trail before you and that "expert" is a member of M/A, who would be readilly available to answer questions if you get stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Here are questions for ANYone with info, not just Keith.

About half way through this article there are two pics and associated text about removing the white nylon guide supports/studs to increase camber.

I figure most Gen2 MINI owners have never even wondered what those white plugs are. Of those who've heard there's a link between them and camber and then dug up a little info, many still only learn enough to be dangerous. This appears to me to be a way to increase the camber adjustability even for folks who aren't interested yet (haven't yet caught the bug) in changing out any suspension components. Such folks could probably use answers to basic questions experts might take for granted because the answers are 'obvious' -- questions like:

What is that plug and why did MINI put it there? Which leads to...
    What are reasons why I might want to leave it in there (i.e., downside(s) to removing them)?
    Will I cause myself problems if I pull that plug out but don't want to change the alignment (e.g., to make room for a strut brace)?
    If I pull the plug and then loosen the guide bolt nuts do I have to worry about the camber adjusting itself because it's loose or is there some resistance?
    If I pull the plug and shift the strut over, how much does this adjust the camber?
    Will pushing the assemblies all the way inboard ensure matching camber on both sides or do I need an alignment after?

I can GUESS at the answers to some of these, but I don't have any practical experience with Gen2 MINIs, and there are other Gen2 suspension noobs lurking here as well. I can imagine some folks reading the text quoted above and thinking "Cool, I'm gonna go pop that plug out now and I'll have more negative camber for free!" without knowing the pros and cons.

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #5 k-huevo, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    My Take on Steve's Nylon Stud Removal Questions

What is that plug and why did MINI put it there? It is an index locator for original camber setting. I assume the slots are to allow adjustments for disparity in factory tolerances or damage from mishaps.

What are reasons why I might want to leave it in there (i.e., downside(s) to removing them)? I don’t see a reason to keep stock camber settings for anything other than the drag strip or strictly highway with no off & on ramps. Increasing negative camber allows more even tire wear and improves lateral load traction.

Will I cause myself problems if I pull that plug out but don't want to change the alignment (e.g., to make room for a strut brace)? The guide support nuts will maintain the original setting, and a strut brace will also keep things as they were.

If I pull the plug and then loosen the guide bolt nuts do I have to worry about the camber adjusting itself because it's loose or is there some resistance? If the vehicle has not been raised, the vehicle’s weight will maintain location. Just push back in place if it changes with weight off the wheels.

If I pull the plug and shift the strut over, how much does this adjust the camber? ~ .3 to .4 degrees negative.

Will pushing the assemblies all the way inboard ensure matching camber on both sides or do I need an alignment after? Both sides will move equal distances, but if camber is different to begin with, it won’t correct it. The amount of additional camber change afforded by stud removal only, will not adversely affect toe. However, I recommend all those interested in optimum handling performance, to have a professional alignment performed. In my opinion, one shouldn’t assume the original settings are correct for your goals, or that if handling doesn’t favor one side, all is good.

Front suspension geometries are a little different for the R56 than the R53. Lowering the R56 causes a linear increase in negative camber (plus toe change), augment with stud removal, and the amount of change will necessitate an alignment.

6. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thanks "Steve" and "K-huevo" for this information:Thumbsup: Just getting an alignment is far less $$$ than installation of these components!

7. fastzombie

fastzombie New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Systems Designer
    Hampden ME
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    On the front strut of an R56S, do you need to undo any ball joints? It looks like the pinch bolt for the strut, the sway bar link, and the top three bolts for the strut mount.

Thank You!

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Getting a correct alignment requires some expertise.....for example, the car is supposed to be loaded with weights, some in the front and some in the trunk, before aligning the car.

You also may have to reset the steering angle sensor after it's done, otherwise the steering may try to self correct and cause the pump or electric steering to run excessively.

Take it to the dealer or to someone who has the skillset and machinery to do it right, that's all I'm saying.

9. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

Good to know this stuff is out there, but this time I'm gonna leave it to the peeps at Detroit tuned, thanks to Chad for the good advice. See you guys before MTTS