Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen How-To Seafoam Treatment R55/R56

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by oxybluecoop, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Why wouldn't you add it to the fuel tank?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have an R53 and used SeaFoam one time at 30K. It did do alot of cleaning generating A LOT of smoke. I was able to verify this because my head was removed shortly after.

I do not SeaFoam anymore since I have installed a RMW BVH & Meth Kit runninng VP M1 99.95% Methanol and change my oil every 3 - 5K with Amsoil SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil. :Thumbsup:

Oil is cheap insurance even at $11.00 Qt. :lol:

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    There are more appropriate fuel treatment products with less alcohol content.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've used Chevron Techron before each oil change on all my cars for years. I pour it in the gas tank.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Me too, but more often then the oil change. :lol:

Jim

6. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

I use this on a 1/4-1/2 tank of gas then run it empty (well as close to empty as I dare) then fill up with a fresh tank of 91. Been good so far.

If you have older V8s (like I do) 1/2 can in the crankcase run the engine a bit then do your oil-change. Gets a ton of sludge out. :)

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I used Berryman's spray version of the B12 Chemtool for years, did wonders cleaning off SU carbs & other under bonnet nastiness. Good stuff. :Thumbsup:

Nice sig Redbeard! How many donut runs? My 8 track days are over I'm grooving with those new fangled cd's. :smile5:

8. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm surprised it took you this long to notice Crash. :lol:

No doughnut runs. I'm not in the "Short North". :(

As far as the 8-track... well I've heard they have much better fidelity and a warmer sound. :ihih:

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm not as sharp as I once was.:crazy: Time to head for the Sharper Image place & get on the grindstone. :lol:

I'm not in the short north. Most folks around here are of normal height. :donut1:

10. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Touché salesman... :lol:

11. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #51 Jason Montague, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    SEAFOAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cornut: I looked somewhat askance at all these people's claims about Seafoam treatments until I saw posts by Dr OBNXS and k-huevo. When either of them makes recommendations( for any new comers, these guys are professionals held in high esteem) I listen. So having an R56(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) I injected 150ml/5oz of Seafoam through the Turbo tube ingress vacuum line directly into the Turbo. The engine was at operating temp 220F and engine idling at 750RPM. Engine didn't even sputter, just sucked it right in. No smoke at all from exhaust. Turned engine off and let it sit for 10min. I evacuated 60ml/2oz 'dinosaur snot' from the BSH OCC / BSH crank case PCV block off port(I highly recommend this addition also.Every 100mi I get 30ml/1oz of'snot' that won't be gumming up the engine). Then started her up and got on the rural highway for a spirited 'blow out' drive some what north of 70mph. She coughed and sputtered once or twice and then it was Purr City Lightning Acceleration again. Still no exhaust smoke like others have had, go figure? This ain't 'snake oil', it's exactly as advertised 'miracle engine cleaner stuff.':Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I don't think its recommended you run it through your turbo..... That little fan builds up to a very high RPM and nothing other than air molecules should be hitting those delicate turbo fins.....

13. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Revisit one of the how-tos; SeaFoam is usually introduced in the vent hose to the inlet manifold. I guess no smoke was produced because the solvent pooled in the intercooler rather than burning in the combustion chamber.

I don't recommend SeaFoam through the turbo.

14. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:You know, that dinosaur snot that the OCC is catching which is a tan/yellow oily/watery aromatic petroleum distillate formed under the high heat and pressure of combustion is so corrosive that it eats the rubber stopper off of the syringe that I use to empty the OCC and the skin off of my fingers. Now if that concoction(which normally goes through the turbo unchecked) can do those things just imagine what it could do to one's Turbo if the OCC wasn't there to catch it. As the Turbo has survived that for 57kmi, it certainly will not be damaged by Seafoam cleaning all of that 'stuff' out of there. The directions on the can say:"when used in fuel line,vacuum or induction.........systems.........slowly induce 1/3pt(roughly 78ml)directly into vacuum line." Now with the engine(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) running at operating temp of 220F, 750RPM, and the air intake running at 82F(measured post intercooler), the Seafoam will not remain in the bottom of the intercooler as a liquid. Being a volatile petroleum distillate with low boiling point and low evaporation point,it will rapidly mix with the hot pressurized intake/intercooler air and proceed through the engine cleaning the intake valves and combustion chamber along the way. I've done this twice in 2wks and it has made an incredible difference in engine smoothness and has greatly increased the engine's ability to rapidly gain RPM's. Seafoam-I'm a believer!:Thumbsup:
    Keith,I'm just saying..................

Jason

15. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    In its gaseous state (not the same as vaporized mist) the product can no longer soak carbon deposits to revert them back to a liquid state. As you say the product is petroleum based, that's why smoke is produced after the soaking period per application instructions, oil is burning.

Nothing is magically formed in a catch can, it is merely gas after a phase shift, the greatest proportion of which is water, followed by oil, and tiny amounts of unburned fuel. Some of the water is condensation formed by the cool CC cannister being heated, and not an engine expulsion.

16. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Thanks Keith for coming to MA and putting up with my/our "how come, what if, in my opinion......................................ad infantum." A professional whose a good sport and has a sense of humor, you're a dying breed sir. In support of Keith, EVERYONE that I've contacted including Seafoam themselves have said(as diplomatically as possible)." putting Seafoam directly into the turbo intake line is probably not the best idea that you've ever had and you did get away with it twice but don't do it again.":frown2::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

17. Ender

Ender New Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Battle Ground, WA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    did my first treatment of seafoam and all i half to say is wow i got some smoke after waiting 30mins then drove it around for about 30 mins the thingruns super smooth and my shifting feels smoother also on 1st gear start i dont half to rev the engine to much to get going and 1st to second is smooth also, im impressed ill be doingthis every oil change.
    Idle smoother
    shifted better "dont know why"
    engine noise went down
    and my normal driving mode throttle felt like sports mode.. i didnt think it would do crap but thats everything i noticed..

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Seafoam, nectar of the gods. :D