How-To threads and articles

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Steve, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #1 Steve, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Greetings! There's a little momentum growing lately in the how-to section of the Library. I know you'd like to see it keep growing...everybody loves a strong, easy to use DIY reference section!

How do we make this happen?

I'll start a short starter list of guides we'd like to see. Please post up additional ideas and I'll add to the list. Here's a link to the How To section of the Library so you can see what we already have. So much for the easy part.

Here's the tough part. We need people to write them up. Easy for me to say, I know, but I hope the list will inspire some of us to write about what we know and about things we've done...fingers crossed.

You don't need to stick to the list. If we overlook something, that doesn't mean we don't want it, it just means we didn't think to put it on the list. Bring whatever you have! If you've posted something elsewhere, bring it here too. Don't let the existence of manuals (Bentley, Haynes, etc) hold you back because not everyone owns them and there's always something they leave out...better pictures if nothing else. Have you installed something and the instructions from the manufacturer or vendor let you down? Post up a better guide. There are all sorts of options.

Hey Sponsors, consider adding installation instructions for your products here. You might even get help from members who have suggestions for improving them.

If you have some knowledge on something particular and would like to help but don't feel like you have enough to make a full how-to, post up about that and maybe someone else will volunteer to collaborate.

I know some prefer to load DIY guides in threads here in the forum because others can comment and ask questions and we can all interact, and that's great, but after a while those get to be hard to find. There's nothing wrong with posting the same thing in both places and cross-linking them. The other excellent option is to load your guide in the Library and then start a cross-linked discussion thread in the appropriate forum. Either way, if it's in the Library it'll always be easy to find.

If you're thinking about writing something or ready to post but want advice or help with the process, send me a pm and I'll help you out. In fact, if you have photos and want to put them up in the M/A Gallery (that's our preferred option) I'll set up a dedicated section for you so you don't have to waste your personal gallery space.

Here's a very short seed list; I know we can come up with many more:

Interior:
    Gauge face replacement.
    Changing the gauge cluster back-lighting.
    Adding/removing window tint.
    Rear seat removal.
    Rear seat delete kits.
    Replacing front seats​

Exterior:
    Vinyl application.
    Joey mod.
    Chrome blackout -- any chrome part(s) -- vinyl, paint, whatever.
    Removing/replacing front/rear bumper aprons.​

Engine & Drivetrain:
    Exhaust system replacement -- any
    Pulley​

Suspension:
    Springs
    Dampers
    Coilovers
    Camber plates​

Brakes:
    Pads
    Rotors
    Brake lines
    Bleeding brakes​

ICE, Nav & Other Electronics
    Audio system upgrades:
    full system upgrades
    head unit replacement
    speaker replacement
    subwoofer installation
    any/all wiring/rewiring​

Misc:
    How/where to jack up a MINI.
    AC​

Detailing?

Please massage the little gray cells and post up!

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Steve, might as well add:

Springs
    Shocks
    Full coil overs
    Camber plates
    Control arms
    Drop links
    Bushings
    Engine / transmission bushings/inserts

3. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    These are all good ideas. The info is already out there [or at least in our heads] so it shouldn't be too much effort to consolidate it all in one place.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Brake pads and rotors

They are so easy to do on this car they ought to be required reading for anyone who owns a MINI....

5. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Clutch is another common one that comes to mind.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Great stuff!

There are examples of some of these already in the Library. For example, there are a few new ones (new = less than a week old) on brake and spring replacement, and a couple more waiting in the wings to go in this week. Never mind that though, I know when I go looking for guides and advice I like to find more than one version from different people/perspectives since it's likely weak areas in one will be covered in another. More info = better.

I'll update the list later today. Thanks. Keep 'em coming.

7. skippydog

skippydog New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also if you post a copy of your how-to in the mini cooper speed archive MAKE SURE YOU Point A Link and a Good Description back to this forum to help drive traffic and new members back to this forum. I had a few posts on our site I had to update to point towards the original content on this forum.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Bumping this up from way back when so the folks that have joined the site recently have a chance to see it.