Howdy from Austin, TX!

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by dkdzyn, Dec 8, 2016.

1. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Designing... EVERYTHING, what else is there?
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey y'all,

I'm Darin from Austin Texas. I recently became the 5th owner of an '08 R55 Clubman S in Lightning Blue with manual 6 speed, sports and chrome packages, sunroof, silver roof/c-pillars and hood stripes. Basically the brochure launch version of the type as shown in all of the magazine write ups and ads. I LOVE the look but DO plan on tweaking it some...

It was BADLY abused and POORLY maintained by its previous owner, a shady dealer, and while I got it for a decent price, it wasn't a good enough deal for the thousands of repairs I've put into it over the past four months. But it now runs great, thanks to my local indie Mini mech! That said, I'm thinking of naming it the "Falcon" after Han Solo's ship because I feel like I'm always telling it to "hold yourself together" and it seems like whenever I go to boost (Hyperspace) it drops into limp home mode! My mech thinks he finally nailed the problem today with a new piece of vacuum hose and re-anchoring a sensor which was pinching a vacuum line after the previous owner (the shady dealer) left it unattached and flopping around following a supposed transmission fix.

Here's most of the big stuff I've repaired or replaced on it so far:

Thermostat
    Oil pump
    Oil pan gasket
    Water pump
    Diverter valve
    Serpentine belt
    Valve cover
    Intercooler intake hose mounts
    Transmission slave line
    Heater core feed hose
    Vacuum hose
    Vacuum sensor mount
    Coolant pipe
    Upper club door latch
    hood scoop
    and a BUNCH of fussy interior and exterior trim parts

It STILL needs:

Rotors and pads
    Rear struts
    A bent section of exhaust fixed
    4 new tires
    Turbo oil return line
    Handbrake button, handle and cap
    a bunch more damaged or missing trim

Hence it feels like I own "the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy!" which is sure to fail when trying to make the jump to get away from the Empire! :D

For the past three months it has had a CEL and chime on pretty much for every startup and 1st gear shift. It's kind of eerie not hearing them... I'm like Pavlov's dog now, except I put my hand over my wallet when I hear that "Do, do, doot!" sound! LOL!

Anyway, I LOVE the car and it has become a kind of project car/labor of love for me to work on it. I haven't enjoyed driving this much ever since I traded in my 1991 aqua green Honda Civic Si hatchback. The Clubman is faster by far though!

Attached Files:

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Fine looking motor! Sure glad to hear you've reversed the disastrous results of irresponsible ownership. These require frequent attention to details and in return they will provide unparalleled motoring enjoyment.

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance !! Sharp looking ride !!

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard! Great looking car. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out and enjoy driving it even more.
    I always tell people MINIs are for enthusiasts that enjoy driving and tinkering.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

6. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to MA! I feel your pain. My Mini and I were suppose to take a trip to Texas to visit family this week, but she decided it was time for a new clutch instead.

7. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! It is a kind of car that gets under your skin. I get to park it outside my window at my office and I find myself a little distracted looking at it sometimes. My wife thinks it a money pit, but without it being a true midlife crisis car, it scratches my itch to have something I can customize a little bit, has a fun style and attitude, and makes me smile when I drive it!

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Yup, I'd only admit it here but I've walked back to the garage door more than once and stood there a few just lookin' and dreamin'.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to our world. :Thumbsup:

10. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Driving me crazy literally...

Aaaaannnd now I'm sitting in my mechanics lounge while they do another smoke test on the whole vacuum system for the second time this week! Danged CEL haunts my night and day dreams about the car at this point!

I'll tell more in another thread under 2nd gen Minis where I'm going to ask ya all questions about this vexing issue.

I'm hoping somebody has had some success with the problem of getting a CEL under acceleration and going to limp mode but throwing no codes... Sort of.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Carbon build up