HUGE California Traffic Tickets Fines Effective 01/06/2011

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nitrominis, Jan 16, 2011.

1. carman63

carman63 Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Purcellville, VA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My suspicion is the 'initial' fine vs the 'final' amount. Since each jurisdiction - as I understand it - can levy their own fines, the final amount varies.

@Nitrominis - you said it yourself. In the example you cited, initial fine was $150 but after all the other administrative fees, etc it was over $1K. I'm only saying the INITIAL fines listed are suspect. And again - not a single reputable source has been found.

And no, I'm not a CA resident, so what? If it looks like a hoax, smells like a hoax, it's still likely a hoax.

My .02...

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
  3. carman63

carman63 Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Purcellville, VA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting a link to the PDF. I'd call that a reputable source :D

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My take is that the original post is a bit of a hoax designed by some lawyer to create FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt) and drum up some business. I base this in the fact that individual counties in Cali are free to add even more than the base fine suggests and there is no uniform added by the various counties.

So while the fines in Cali are going up and by outrageous amounts the information provided in the OP can only be used a guideline as to what is going on but not be the defacto amounts one may pay if fined, in fact the fines may even be higher.

These fees that various state, county and local gov't agencies, not only in Cali but all over the US, are getting out of hand. The idea of not raising taxes to balance the budgets and hiding revenue grabs as increased or new fees is going to come around and bite these agencies in the ass at some point. People are not that stupid and will see through this revenue grab.

There are 100's of articles and examples of local gov'ts adding fee's to police and fire responding to incidents of all types. These were once paid for out of the tax base but now if you are in accident there is a good chance that both the fire and police will send you a bill.

There is now a fee for death reviews in Seattle. This was brought to light recently when a new born child passed away an hour after being born. The parents were presented with a $50 fee labeled as "King County death tax".

My prediction is these types of things that nickel and dime us up to and including death are going to eventually cause citizen revolts.

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #25 Jason Montague, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    :Thumbsup: I agree 100%. But when we say this(citizen revolt); the leftists 'spin it' and say that we are urging violence and are responsible for the 'Tucson Shooting Spree.':frown2: It's getting crazy 'out der mit dem English.'

Jason

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #26 Nitrominis, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    This is not the first time Ca residents have seen this kind of VC fines administered. History if you have lived in Ca for 2,3 or more decades is what we as Ca residents have personally experienced in the past. The internet media simply brings awareness to more readers than past media delivery devises.

I would invite anyone to sit 2 hours or more in any of Ca's county traffic court and wittiness how VC violation are currently handled. When you can do this come back here on this thread and report your observations and become a reputable source.