Most liked posts in thread: Humpty

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    No kidding... some of that mess was me pulling out the GP and moving stuff around that had surrounded.... uh I mean "protected" the M5. :) On a fun note, both the boys are into the project so they will be helping in different ways. One of the boys is a serious car dude. At 13 he is saying.. doesn't want a boring car. He has been looking at cars and running them by me. By now he has figured out:
    1. 60's and 70's American iron are too expensive and there is no way I'm going to let him get one of those for both safety and speed reasons.
    2. Loves the old Mercedes for the looks (stacked headlight ones).. so those are a possibility.
    3. None Turbo 944's are pretty cheap and I know how to work on them...
    He has started working and saving money to see if he can get a car when he is 14 so we have time to work on it and get it in good shape by the time he is 16. We will see how serious he is, but that would be fun.

2. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    1/8/2019 - Update.. Garage Cleaning

I was able to get some work done on the garage
    Been working on cleaning up the garage and getting things organized for the engine install. First time in many years the counter top is cleaned off. So I pulled some of the parts I had "stored" under the car to wrap them up and prepare for longer term storage... lol.

88M5 Crank anyone..?

Cam's:

Also setup the quick jacks finally. They have been holding the car in this position via hydraulic for over a week. They are not sitting on the locks, instead right above. I did this to test to see if I have a leak. Nope.. all good and WAY easier than jacking up the car.

@Dave.0
    Just picked myself up a steam cleaner to work the engine bay over before I put the engine back in. Been watching some youtube video's. If you have any tricks let me know... it needs love.

Still more work to do for the garage.. but getting close.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Thats great! Thats my younger son. He was always ready to help with a car or bike. He is 21 now last Christmas’s he asked for parts for his Jeep. We spent Christmas afternoon installing new lights, front and rear finders, running boards and some stickers.
    Shouldn’t Dads blue M5 be on his list? It’s fast, handles great, it’s safe and roomy. Come on what kind of Dad are you?

4. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Will do... hoping to get to that some this weekend when back in town

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    This will be a great build! I know it was fun having your Dad go with you. On a side not......Man I thought my garage was messy!:D

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Like I said - no V8's. My dad was very smart and gave me the hammy down 73 volvo my older siblings had worn out when I was 16. I had access to it as long as my grades were up to snuff. It had no compression in the engine and was slow as all get out. I still managed to get it airborne and on 3 wheels a few times... he is a wise man.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    For steam cleaning the engine bay I would stay away from all electrical connections. I like wrapping them in aluminum foil as it cheap and easy to shape around things. Remember you just need to shield stuff not make it 100% waterproof.

I would also use spray nine or any other degreaser first with a few different brushes before you steam clean and t]dey with towels.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List