Exterior 1st Gen I can't install my 3rd Brake Light pulsar!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    (deep, relaxing breath)...

Ok...so today was a gorgeous day. I gave Schultze a much needed bath and then decided it was time to swap out the OEM 3rd Brake Light for an LED 3rd Brake Light and install my Brake Light Pulsar at the same time.

Read the instructions many times and had all tools necessary.

Pulled out the Bentley...just in case.

Removed the three screws which hold the brake light in place and I was ready to pop out the brake light unit when everything came to a screeching halt.

I cannot remove my brake light unit because of my Cooper spoiler.

Aha...I have my Bentley manual right here...let's read up on how to remove the spoiler.

I was able to remove the rubber plugs which cover the spoiler screws...no problem.

I don't have a tool that will unscrew the spoiler screws! The groove in the screws (visualize traditional flat-head screwdriver) is small...I'm talking 1/8" if not smaller.

So I stop and read the Bentley instructions again.

Damn.

Not only is the spoiler screwed in place with impossible-to-remove screws, but apparently adhesive is also used.

F.M.L.

So...now what?

If anyone has any tips, tricks or advice, I'd be very appreciative...otherwise, it looks like a might need a special session with Way at MOTD to get this installed.

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,801 / 10 / -0
    I hear ya and may be facing the very same problem, which is why I'll rely on someone at MOTD...maybe Fatherdeth can help us out, as he is doing a clinic on wiring lights.

3. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    We had the same problem with Gromie, even tried wiring it into the harness in the boot. Which had the unpleasant result in having the auto lock, lock me in the car !?!?! We put it on the clubby, much easier :)

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Since you have a Bentley manual I assume this is a first gen car and I'm also guessing it's a Justa..

A small aside here, this is where it would really help if you created a Garage, any of us could quickly see the year and model...

Anyway...

Given the above, this is what you are looking at...

[​IMG]

The spoiler has studs in it with a nut in the body of the hatch as a fastener. You don't remove the stud but unbolt the nut. I think it is 12mm.

Once those have been removed take some fishing line and pull that under the base of the wing. It will take time to do, and don't forget there is a stud in there too you have to work around.

No need to replace the adhesive, it will stick again.

5. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Nathan...THANKS!

I will do my best to create my Garage in the very near future. :Thumbsup:

I plan on having the roof wrapped in vinyl, so I might wait until then to do the Brake Light upgrade & Pulsar install.

6. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I found the most awesome fishing line to do this :cornut: This stuff is great, has the diameter of 15lb.,test, but the strength of 65lb. line, plus it braided, acts like a saw blade. Cuts through it like butter :cornut:

DSC02757.jpg

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,673 / 2 / -0
    Wear gloves when you do this lest you saw through your own hide. I have done that & it was not fun.

8. Girliebird

Girliebird New Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Confused. I watched Dan of Grassroots Garage install mine and he didn't touch the spoiler. There is a panel at the top of the back window. He removed that and installed it. I have a R56 MCS.

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:R56 is 2nd generation and much easier. Pop off a panel, top driver's side inside of boot hatch. Cut and rewire, making sure of neg to neg and pos to pos. Tape well.Panel back on and ready to go.:Thumbsup:Alas I have to get another pulsar as mine has burned out after 2yrs.:(

Jason:popcorn:

10. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    When I did my first car I pulled out the rubber cover on the car side that shields the wiring harness going to the boot. Identified the wires and with the help of an assistant pressed the brakes and verified that I had the correct wires spiced in the circuit to the harness putting the small piece of wire on the light side to give enough slack to place the circuit inside attached to the roof after I had verified that it worked. Much easier then trying to remove the wing to remove the light on a Cooper.

11. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    GoMINIGo has installation instructions to print out also.

12. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I have an R50 with a pulsar and I just rattled the 3rd brake light back and forth and pushed and shoved and eventually got it to line up just right so it came out without taking the spoiler off, it was a bit scary as the first time it felt like it might break but it is quite sturdy. It was a pain and I had to do it again to put in the OEM clear 3rd brake light! Almost makes me want to get a different spoiler....