Most liked posts in thread: I may have found it!

1. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Most likely, it's fine. The steering is going to feel tons heavier than any God-awful GM vehicle. Always hated the feel of every GM I've ever driven.

2. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what kind of answers you expect as I or probably most people haven't compared the steering of the Mini to Subaru's or Cadillac's. Your description of a heavy feel leaves it up to each individual reading your post to decide what they think the word heavy means.

The only unusual thought I've ever had about the steering on my Mini is that sometimes I think that turning my steering wheel is like turning the barrel of a micrometer. The steering is so fine and precise.

3. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Retired aircraft mechanic
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks folks, I understand that the feeling will be subjective and I shouldn't have asked that type of question, what feels heavy to me might feel light to someone else. What I will do tomorrow is go to a nearby dealer that has an '06 non-S and see what that feels like to drive around the block. I assume the steering pump and parts are the same between an R50 and R53.... Actually, just sitting still with the engine running and turning the wheel lock to lock will probably answer my question. Thanks for your help!

4. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    That's a beautiful R53 !! Hope everything goes well.

5. Dennis Bratland

Dennis Bratland New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Stay at home dad
    Ballard, Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that the steering assist is speed-sensistive. The computer decides how much hydraulic assist to give you, based on your speed and who knows what else. These cars have algorithms that make them do all kinds of non-linear things. Recent Subarus or whatever also have speed sensistive steering, but the level of assist and how steep the curve is varies depending both on the mechanics of the car and the way it's programmed. Mechanically, there aren't that many cars with an electrical power steering pump, rather than a pump driven off an engine belt. That makes it feel different too.

The other thing is steering ratio. Minis have a quicker ratio than most other cars, which gives it that go-kart feel. AND first generation Minis had many ongoing problems with failures of the electric power steering pump. If for some reason this car hasn't had the recall work for this, you could be noticing a weak or failing power steering pump. Plug the VIN into Mini's website to see if it's been done or not.

6. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You are all a great help! I'm probably too old to drive a Mini (68) but I just recall that when I pulled away from the curb and turned to wheel I was surprised at how stiff it felt. But, I know what a loss of power assist would feel like and that was definitely not it.....just unfamiliar with the Mini steering right now. I will crosscheck with a different car though, just for grins! Thanks again!

7. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The 1st gen MINI has the heaviest (and most direct) feel of any power steering I've known. However, I can't claim to have driven a large variety of cars.

Not as good as the very direct feeling of my Honda CRX which had NO power steering, but the tradeoff was having to deal with it while parallel parking.

8. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Being old doesn't mean you can't enjoy nice things. You really make me smile: I'm 82.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    With a MINI.... You will feel more connected to the road...
    Hope it works out for you...

Space Blue is a very special color....:Thumbsup:

10. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh CRAP!!! They accepted my offer, I'm committed now!

11. Mini_Dirk

Mini_Dirk New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    IT Dork
    Shorewood, MN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HA! Good luck and enjoy!

12. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Just buy it. The only other choice would be to buy mine. The red would be faster than the blue and it gets more chicks!

13. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    LOL. In his case it would be 'hens' and not chicks!

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome.

My MINI's steering is heavier then my WRX's was. But it also has a more direct feel. Now that you have the car check to see if the recall on the steering has been done and the PS fluid level is good.

After that let the fun begin.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Great R53. Your never to old for a mini or to have fun! Welcome to MA!