Ideas to Educate all at MOTD 2012

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 10 (May 2 - 6, 2012) - TN / NC' started by Nathan, May 7, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Please populate this thread with ideas for ways we can all work to educate each other and remind ourselves and the other drivers that we all need to think about the way we drive at MOTD.

2. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Here are the things we know that will take place for sure next year:
    A. I'll have several 3' x 8'ish banners made with a "safety message" on it. I will have on for each of the three Fontana Exits onto NC 28 and one by the vendor area and maybe one more.
    B. I will have a 8.5" x 11" "safety" flyer made for each registration bag.
    C. We will have a optional cling with a catchy safety message available at registration as well.
    D. Each drive leader will review the "rules of the road" prior to heading out.
    E. We will have a poster of some "driving don'ts" in the registration room

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like a great plan.....

4. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Suggestions:

- if a tagline is established about obeying the yellow line, incorporate it into the signature graphics that folks use on web forums. Maybe even one dedicated to this "cause".

- start an effort for rally masters to include the topic of yellow line discipline, amongst other safe driving topics, during drives throughout the year

5. Ladyvalea

Ladyvalea New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    lady of luxury
    Fort Worth
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    How about a Flashy loud T-shirt?? with a safe saying on it??

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    The BOTTOM line is that there is just NO VALID reason for anyone to cross the yellow line and especially over and over again. After all, this IS a national highway, no matter how enticing it seems to drive spiritedly through the twisties. People from all walks of life travel on the Dragon...everyday commuters, sightseers, bikers, sports car enthusiasts, people hauling boats to Fontana Lake, cyclists and even semis. That said, we have probably ALL drifted from time to time over the line...it can't be helped sometimes, but to pass people in the curves is just NUTS, especially since the NC and TN Highways Depts. have improved the turnoffs so much for slow drivers to pull to the side. Those people at fault SHOULD be singled out and humiliated. We preach every year to "stay on our side" and it just seems to be words wasted to those who think they can do as they please, without any concern for "the other guy". These jerks are NOT "entitled" folk by any means...just people who appear to enjoy ruining the Dragon for us all, so they can have their fun.

Killboy and the other photographers should post these miscreants on a "Wall of Shame", and WE, as conscientious MINI/Mini folk, need to get the word out as much as possible...before, during and after our events.

I like the idea of the "barrier" with the yellow line on its top between the lanes, but sincerely hope that common sense in the future will prevail, instead.

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Jeff, what ideas can you provide that will educate all at MOTD 2012?

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Venting goes HERE for they are better at it there.

Ideas on how move forward go in this thread as that us our niche here.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA.....
    Good one Nathan.....:D

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I really like Jeff's idea of making this a year long campaign. Get all the clubs and forums envolved along with all the rally masters to push this issue at all events! Possibly have some sort of art package made available for download with the tag lines, etc that can be put up everywhere...even in out signatures...

"Show your skill and don't kill, stay in your lane."

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I would be happy to host any packages created and make them easily accessible for all.

Another item is a PDF where a vendor has a spot to put their name, easily printed and fit a standard mailing envelope. As much stuff as we all mail and ship one in all these packages would certainly reinforce the message.

12. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Its not the group drives that I have seen much careless driving on, its the two or three car packs that go out to try and out do each other, thats when it becomes dangerous.

I will support a year long campain to promote awareness, have already modified my sig

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. The smaller packs are more apt to be more spirited. However, by putting the message everywhere and in lots of media with a variety of creatives we all will reach even the smaller groups.

14. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Here is one of several ideas Craig has sent me. I'll post more as we fine tune them.

[​IMG]

15. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I will also look into beefing up my warning on the click thru waiver for the main registration page. Probably use larger font and a different color for the safety portion of the waiver.

16. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I don't think anything works as well as peer pressure. If there's a pic showing someone over the line, print it and post it in the registration room. It's humiliating, but that way the message will get across.

And I will admit, there is a pic of me on the yellow line. I was wrong and will correct next year.

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I've always been a good listener. I was told early on about staying inside my lane and I always try to do just that. Maybe more people should take an HPDE before doing the Dragon. While doing HPDEs, I learned to brake in a straight line, before the curves, and how to hit the apexes without losing control or scaring the hell out of oncoming traffic. That's not to say I don't err, but I know I don't err as much as those who would jeopardize others as they scream through US 129. I have only ONE idea, and that's the ONE I to which I adhere: STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE! What's soooo "hard" about following directions...especially one as simple as that?

18. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I should have clarified that including the tagline in sig graphics was meant for the MOTD sig graphics that are made available. Although the idea would work for general stuff during the year as well.

Barry and others have pretty much covered everything I could think of specific to the MOTD event itself. Repeat the message in lots of different formats, aggressive outreach campaign.

As Mark noted though, I do think it needs to be an ongoing effort throughout the year. If we wait until the month before, there will be lots of people that may not get the message and even if they do, it may not have a chance to really sink in. Staying in your lane needs to be so ingrained that people don't need to think about it, as in the excitement of MOTD, it needs to be something that just comes naturally. And that will be achieved if people practice it constantly.

19. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you can get the TN or NC State Troopers or a local police officer give a brief...maybe have a tent set up for them to give safety demonstrations on their (cops have a machine for showing the impact of crashing) and they can answer questions.

Get brochures from the TN or NC State Highway department on driving safety especially on crossing the double yellow lines and put in each registered bag...this will save printing costs.

20. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    If you want to show an orange mini cabrio in the poster above...you can do it...without mentioning any names or using any personal markings of anyone's MINI...