1st Gen 100K+ If you had an 89K engine on the stand... (long post)

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jhmckean563, Feb 7, 2015.

1. jhmckean563

jhmckean563 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Mechanical Engineer
    Amsterdam, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What would you proactively replace on it?

My poor '03 R53 rolled over 123456 miles last March, followed shortly by rolling a rod bearing due to a sudden and massive oil loss of unkown origin. :(

Being of the handy, independent sort, I pulled the engine with all these grand plans to do a rebuild (seals, crank grind, new bearings, etc), life happened, fast forward almost a year later... And there she sits.

After coming to terms with the fact that I'm never going to have time to do a proper rebuild, I found an '04 S engine at a local, reputable wrecker with 89K for $2000. I'm thinking that's a good deal, in that I'd prob spend about $1000 on parts and labor to rebuild the '03 anyway and I can slap the replacement engine in in like 1/10th the time of doing a full rebuild. Not to mention I can part out the '03 longblock and try to recoup some $$$.

Anyway... I'm thinking while I've got the '04 engine on the stand, I should proactively replace:
    • Belt/tensioner/idler pulley
    • Thermostat?
    • PCV valve
    • Crank seals
    • Crank sensor seal
    • Timing cover gasket?
    • Valve cover gasket & plug seals?
    • Plugs
    • Supercharger seals?
    • Oil filter/oil cooler seals?
    • Thermostat housing?

Whatta you guys think? I want to make sure I get all the problem areas but I also don't want to go overboard and waste my time/money.

I know the crank and crank sensor seals are known problem areas (and may be what killed the '03). Are there any other oil seals that are problematic?

Is it worth chaanging the s/c oil? I'll have to swap it from the '03 to '04, so it seems like I might as well do the oil while it's off.

Thanks for your help, and reading this long post! :Thumbsup:

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Sounds like a good list.

ATI crank damper
    Change the supercharger oil
    Look at the water pump & replace if you find wear.

That's all I've got, I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Welcome to M/A

3. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Thats a good list of "suspects" to make this thing bomber.

perhaps 1) oil pan gasket if you didn't already have that in mind with oil housing/cooler seals... its easy at this point and cheap R&R and 2) If the water pump is ok I'd at least change the o-ring seals (behind flange to motor and pump) -- again another cheap R&R

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #4 ZippyNH, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    I think you are 100% on the right path...
    Heck, all the stories I have heard says doing a rebuild on a mini motor is nearly cost prohibitive... Simple things cost 3x what you expect, so a factory rebuild is cheaper than a diy in many cases...
    At 90,000+ miles, the motor is IMO pretty young...sure it is 10+ years old, but one thought...
    Any idea how long the motor sat? I would hate to install it to find The head gasket is corroded or it pings from valve wear...you are talking about putting a LOT of time and $$ into a motor that is a bit of a crap shoot...sure it SHOULD be good...but if it wasn't, the provider would likely just give you a second one...and all would be lost...
    My gut says...do the cheap and easy gaskets and o-rings....
    Look it over install...then run it...
    Why?
    Well life has a funny way of happening...
    And just to be the devils advocate, what if it was wrecked a week after you finish...
    That's WHY most shops try to match the age/miles of the motor to the car it goes into...minimize the risks....
    Sure...spend $200 in cheap gaskets...but I might hold off on more $$ stuff, and do them as needed..
    Sure, MIGHT be more $$ overall....but might prevent lots of work for nothing...
    Just something to think about!
    Good luck!

5. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I like Zippy's thoughts.
    I would tend to leave the timing cover gasket and crank oil seals alone if not leaking.
    The crank sensor o-ring is a good idea.
    I am on the fence about supercharger oil and water pump replacement.

6. jhmckean563

jhmckean563 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Mechanical Engineer
    Amsterdam, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input and warm welcome!

Good point Zippy on not going too overboard. I always do this to myself (can't help it, I'm an engineer, lol) - must... optimize... all the things! :D

The supercharger I'm also on the fence... It's got 120K miles on it, but it will also require like 3 bottles of fluid at $12 for 4 oz. :(

I was figuring on leaving the waterpump alone but I like the idea of doing its seals. Waterpumps are crazy expensive and it seems like it usually just the seals that go bad, not the pump itself.

And speaking of rebuild costs, yeah, it's crazy. Just a set of main bearings is like $250 - a complete rebuild kit for my old Trans Am cost less than that!

Also - headgaskets on MINIs are pretty much a no-worry item, yeah? Unlike, say, my early 00's Outback... :frown2:

7. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I'd change SC oil. 3 bottles at $12 is much cheaper than $900-$1500 for rebuilt-new SC. I don't think you need 3 bottle -- 2 tops. More in the front reservoir less in the rear behind the water pump. Pumps are ~$100 but if its not weeping probably ok.

Also not certain this would've helped previous oil escape but might want to add oil pressure gauge to the list. :)

8. jhmckean563

jhmckean563 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Mechanical Engineer
    Amsterdam, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Worst part is, the rod was knocking before the low oil pressure light even came on... :mad:

What's normal pressure range for an R53?

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Headgaskets are a SEMI no worry item...
    Folks that have issues have USUALLY overheated it a few times, and often have missed the coolant changes....
    Coolant seems to be the most ignored item on these cars...
    When delivered, these cars still needed a 3-4 year flush...the fluid was at the time NOT (saw the change in BMW/mini marking the bottles) a "long life" fluid....
    With bmw, they switched the specs on the bottles of coolant (lifetime wise) when they switched from the old white bottles to the silver....funny the folks at the dealer I bought it hadn't noticed...
    New specs say, for an aluminum block, to just drain what is needed for work, then refill with fresh to full, unless a "new" aluminum" item is added or changed...
    No info on s cast iron...so I have been sticking with the old spec of drain/flush...the BMW undiluted coolant is pretty cheap...

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Do not forget timing chain guides and the tensioner bolt for the timing chain. The guides are plastic and I just did mine at 90k and one broke when we took it out and put it on the bench.

When you start up the used motor it may sound like crap if the timing chain tensioner is stuck.

11. jhmckean563

jhmckean563 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Mechanical Engineer
    Amsterdam, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, I was just going to ask about the timing chain. The tensioner and chain themselves should be ok, then? Everything behind the timing cover would be a real pain to get to once the engine is back in...