I'll just toss this out there...

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by caseydog, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Gil... my take is this. I'm not aware that FOX has any of their employees married to White House staffers. I may be wrong there, but I doubt it. Simply put, I don't need any TV, radio or social media source to help me decide anything. I'm white, educated and have common sense to make educated decisions on my own. Enough said.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    While the mainstream media does have a bias it is rather easy to tell which way they lean. It's the proliferation of fake news sites that leads so many to believe fallacies. More than 100 sites based in Macedonia fed fake news items with sensationalist headlines to Facebook. When owners of the these were recently interviewed it was revealed these authors are purely in it for the money.

I'm talking about headlines such as Pope Francis Forbids Catholics From Voting for Hillary. While most of us would laugh at such a headline there are a great many people that would click on it and even share it on Facebook. These sites have names such as WorldPoliticus.com, TrumpVision365.com, USConservativeToday.com, DonaldTrumpNews.co, and USADailyPolitics.com.

It's been found there are over 140 domains such as this all registered in the Macedonian town of Veles. The teens that run these site say they do it togenerate income and they don't care about the US elections. They are just trying to make money.

The sad thing is that many people believe the "news" these sites create.

Full Article - https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/how-macedonia-became-a-global-hub-for-pro-trump-misinfo?utm_term=.vgkVvAXNAy#.ht2NbvRZvY

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    What was Al Gore thinking when he invented the internet?

4. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmmm, I may have found the business opportunity I've been looking for. :devil:

CD

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

Bingo. It's human nature; people gravitate naturally to places that tell them what they want to hear.

The flip side is there are very few media outlets that are unbiased. The BBC is probably the best we've got, but how many watch that? I do, but I still find myself going back to the extremes--Fox and CNN--to see where the extremes are at.

U.S. society is so polarized, and at the moment, not open minded enough to see the other side. It happened 8 years ago, and it happened again this week.

So, 8 years ago, rather than working together, one side rammed through unilaterally a partisan agenda. The next four years will be spent tearing that agenda down, and creating an equally unilateral agenda that the other side will devote it's time and resources to tearing down.

Where does this get us? A constant swinging of the pendulum, and no consensus. It's expensive, divisive and incredibly inefficient. Until both sides quit this constant all or none approach to politics, and build a coalition with bipartisan support to major issues such as health care, taxes, etc., we're really in a vicious cycle.

It can be done; Regan worked both sides of the isle, and Clinton (Bill that is) after awhile, managed to as well. It's time to compromise and build something both sides can live with rather than constantly building something and tearing it down and starting all over.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have said it before so I guess I have to say it again. See Post # 27 from October 12th @ 3:45 PM EST in this thread.

Putting in Term Limits for Congress and Banning All Lobbyist and PAC's and Supper PACs from being able to make any financial contributions of any kind. ( including trips and gifts )

Also Ban all Contributions from any Foundation or Org.

This would do more that any new President.

Also take away all Health Benefits from Congress and put them on Obama Care if they think it so great.

7. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    #467 BruceK, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Interesting. Since I'm not into the FaceTube cult, I wasn't aware of 'fake news' being a thing.

Sounds like it has taken over the former role of the old supermarket tabloids, with the additional bonus of having your 'friends' tell throw it in front of your face and tell you it's real and they believe it?

How nice.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    They seem to forget that they were put there to serve the people....

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    2 (4) year Term Limits max for all members of Congress.

Problem solved.

10. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Except for the guy in your own district, 'cause, you know, you really like them.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIufLRpJYnI"]"It's a Cookbook!" Ahah... I get it! - YouTube[/ame]

12. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Here is another video. I love this rendition of the National Anthem. The SGB almost impossible to sing, and very few Americans know the words, but they all know how to ***** and moan if it "aint done the way they grew up with."

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8_TOy4cNMA"]Eric Johnson National Anthem (early 90s) - YouTube[/ame]

CD

13. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of the time Jose Feliciano performed for the world series in 1968. That was the first time I ever heard it sang 'differently'.

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
  15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A"]Marvin Gaye sings American National Anthem - YouTube[/ame]

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  17. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This video provides a stark contrast between the professional athletes of my youth and a select few this year.

https://youtu.be/IrV8QPQAhxo