1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Personally I'm a fan of black-out and black trim on Dark Silver cars... but it's hard to go wrong with painted arches - always seem to click the look of a MINI up a notch or two. Painted handles are nice too... just a PITA to remove, install, and I'd worry about chips constantly.... but my body color headlight rings are holding up well, so maybe I'm just paranoid. :yesnod:

2. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    DS and black go pretty well together. Check the interweb for DS with painted arches - it definitely completely changes the look of the car. OTOH, with an aero kit it's almost a requirement to paint the arches (IMHO, YMMV). Really brings the visual lines of the car closer tot he ground.

3. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I agree about DS and black arches looking good but there are so many out there. Guess I really want to set it apart from some others.

4. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Too much DS if you do the arches and the wheels in DS.

I'd paint the handles etc DS...but not the arches. Then do DS wheels :Thumbsup:

5. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    #6 Professor, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    Yea the I just went out and stared at my car like a fool for about an hour this morning. THe arches would be to much dark silver for sure. I think matching up the handles would look good and leaver the side chutes and gas cap black.

6. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Oh and a Lets MotorBoatin sticker ;)

7. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm increasingly growing fond of the look where people smooth the arches and paint them black to match the roof, have you considered that?

8. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    gloss black on teh arches can be nice as well.

If you do the arches and handles.. I would keep the 18s or at least some black wheels. Need to keep the contrast.

9. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I think I will be keeping the arches as they are. Onde my wheels are done I will see what needs to be changed to help the look.

10. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Phil....I thought of you and took some shots of a DS MINI I saw in Strasbourg, France today. It was DS/DS with DS arches and sill plates and bumper trim. I'll get them uploaded tomorrow night or Monday once I get back to the states.

11. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
  12. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  13. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Bah! Way to much DS.

14. GrAy RaVeN

GrAy RaVeN New Member

#15 GrAy RaVeN, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    First, I gotta ask ya Professor.....Ginger or Maryanne ?

I just Dark Silver BO taped my belt line...

IMG_0493-1.jpg

Added DS Aesthetic Creations Headlight Surrounds

IMG_0503.jpg

Added DS Orciari Cowl Scoops and painted aero grill surround, side scuttles and M7 Scoop, and custom painted the MINI Badges to make them blend in until take them off and have a body shop fill in the holes....

IMG_0513.jpg

I have Enkei ES6 Rims in gunmetal and look ok IMO since I still have a Plasti Dipped Cap and some black arches and decals....but If I painted my arches, I would get a set of black JCW 18" rims for sure......

IMG_0450_edited.jpg IMG_0450_edited.jpg

Doing my best to stay with Dark Silver/Black becase as you said, too many colors are not so good for a small car, makes it look to busy IMO.

Only Chrome left now is limited to tips, and wheel trim rings are it.But when I do paint the arches the 18" JCW Black Rims will have to be the next addition. Using the Enkie's may be too much DS.

15. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Professor, a bright pink roof would really finish the car. :ihih:

16. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the arches the way they are as well... Loving the DS and black.

17. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Well really the car did not change much from this post. Only thing I did to keep me happy was to color match the handles and spray the fuel door a more glossy black. I have been happy with the textured arches for sure. Something about how rugged it is appeals to me.

18. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I go through the same things man. One day i want to change the arches and then i really look at it and dig them

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Professor, nothing like a set of third party wheels to spice things up. DS and black has been done pretty well in several iternations but a set of wheels outside the MINI options would really set it apart IMO. You'd be suprised how far your mod dollar goes on a nice set of 3rd party rims compared to spending "MINI money"

I must warn you there are literally 10,000 wheel choices out there. Voice of experience..................

20. lilcoopr

lilcoopr New Member

May 5, 2009
    MINI Ambassador and university student
    Toronto, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree!! :cornut:

But seriously... I like Rally's idea with the door handles - Aesthetic Creations has those snap on ones... and if you do want to do something with the arches, I think DS/DS with DS arches is a bit too much and that gloss black would look very sexy. Wheels can totally transform the car and I suggest going there first as if you don't like them, you can trade with another MINI owner and go for another look. DS's with blacked-out chrome are also very nice. What about some vinyl? A quick, cheap, easily-reversible way to add some personality!