Most liked posts in thread: I'm on my way to church Sunday, in the MINI,.........

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Sorry he stopped you Les. I run both plates on my cars so it does not give the constable a reason to pull me over. It really is a carp shoot as to who gets pulled over for front plate & tint. I'd have figured a speeder would come before a stop for no front plate, go figure. At least you didn't get a ticket.

2. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    he is just jealous of your car

3. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hey Chuck......

My oldest son is a LEO. He says sometimes his blue brothers/sisters will pick a specific "thing" to focus on and that sorta becomes their "thing".

I, too, would've figured a speeder would be the first choice. But you're right. I didn't get a ticket or have to use my get out of jail free card. (aka the courtesy card.)

:D

.....Les

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    A couple of months ago I too got pulled over by a local Leo and had my tint checked. All was fine and he asked if my MINI was my son's car. Obviously he was looking for something other than a tint check. No ticket...just a PITA.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Years ago my brother in law a LEO had the misfortune to pull over a car with dark tinted windows. He was shot point blank in the chest by the cars driver. He is lucky to be alive & still with us. I completely understand any LEO's dislike for dark tinted windows.

Tell your son thanks for what he does for his community & to be careful.

Maybe you were really pulled over for a faded Union Jack. ;)

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #7 Jason Montague, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    2mos ago I'm bringing my son's 90lb Rottie/Lab mix dog home from the airport(good dog,my son won't be getting him back, love that dog). It's 2330hrs on a Sat night and dumb dumb is doing 85mph in a 65mph zone as I sale past a TX Highway Patrolman in a blacked out car on the shoulder of the Hwy 75. Check the rear view and yup here he comes so I pull off onto the shoulder with the passenger side wheels off of the shoulder and onto the grass for added safety. I turn off the engine, turn on emergency flashers.turn on all 3 interior lights, roll down my window and have license and proof of insurance in hand and hands in plain sight on the steering wheel. Up comes this Patrolman who looks like he's at least 16yo and is very direct, no game playing,no "do you know why I stopped you Boy." He comes right out and says "sir I stopped you because you were going a little fast. Could I get you to slow it down a little?""Uh yes sir you sure can."He checks my license/insurance/and registration-all okay."sir I'm going to have to give you a warning." Thank you very much Trooper and off I go now doing 64mph all the way home. Nice guy,no 'attitude' at all and on a Sat night probably having had to deal with drunks most of the night.:Thumbsup: Thank you God:D

Jason
    De Oppresso Libre

7. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #8 Jason Montague, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    So.....................................
    1.He was trolling for young boys?:devil:
    OR
    2.He was implying that you were to old to own that car?:eek6:

Jason

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Yes

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    leave the tint on... just have to pay the "tint tax" every now and then...

10. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    So I've been reflecting on my exchange with the LEO and I've concluded that their warning to me was not just a thing of chance. A warning is advance notice of something.

And I have noticed that at night it can sometimes be difficult to see what is off to my left.

I'll be taking the tint off.

But putting some back on that falls within code. :D

...Les

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Now, that's the spirit! What's that tired cliche; a Win Win situation. Go Get'um Man.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Up here the cops have officially classified MINIs as sports cars, and will pull the MINI out of a line of traffic to ticket. Guess that's what we get for 1. being so much fun to drive 2. Easy to spot in a line of traffic.

13. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thankfully, down here they still think it is a "little car" and not threat. The Mustangs and jacked up trucks draw most of the attention. :D

Jim

14. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I was always amazed my Mini did not get pulled over for my illegal tint, since the Mini was white I thought the windows looked extra dark. Now that I have a red car I will be sticking to the law and going with a different tint front to back. I really liked having the dark rear window at night in a low car it helped with being blinded.

15. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Well, the tint is off. Had forgotten what a mess it is to remove.

I checked with LEO son and he says the rear side windows and the hatch window can be as dark as I wish. Good, 'cause they're are very dark.

But now I've got to wait for spring to put a wee little tint on the doors.

Ah well. At least I can now wave at the lurker LEO and he can see me. :Thumbsup:

.....Les

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Les- Your MINI will still look great even with a lighter tint on the front.

Allen those orange wheels & mirror caps dazzled the LEO's so much they never noticed the tint. ;)