I'm told I need help

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Rixter, Aug 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #1 Rixter, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Ok, so I'm trying to train my wife as to proper handling of Spike. He doesn't like his doors slammed and he particularly doesn't like having both hands placed at the edge of his boot when closing the boot door. The other day my wife was just about to close the lid of Spike when I said "stop, look where your hands are!". Needless to say I got a few rolled eyes :rolleyes:

A week ago we were heading to Safeway after dinner. I was circuling the lot looking for the right place to park. Where it was quiet, away from shopping carts, shaded, and not under trees to avoid sap. My wife pointed out 2 or 3 spots before I finally parked Spike. It was not the ideal place, but she was getting a little hot under the collar. Finally she said "I'm only trying to help you". :eek:ut: Like I have some sort of MINI addiction problem. Ok well maybe I do, but it's only a MINIature problem.

Anybody else relate :cornut:

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Good luck with that.

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Anything you can say or do that DOES NOT elicit "The Look" or "Well, Fine" is all the further you should go. Will any of that work?

"There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." Will Rogers

5. 05vertible

05vertible New Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dude I feel your pain! When I owned COBRA'S my wife started to like cars. With our MINI she tells the kids that it is our "4th child" :lol: I have her help me detail MAXX ...it seems to invoke a sense of "ownership". In fact just last week my wife went to the grocery store she came home and related that she was miffed at a suburban that parked close to her .....she had parked away from the entrance in the rain!!! After 4 years she's getting it!

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    No problems like that here, we both own MINIs:D

Mark

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That is outstanding!!! Gold star for the wife!

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Mark, that would be a dream come true, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen. I keep showing my wife multi-car garages with multiple MINIs. She thinks its a cute idea, but so far she's not convinced.

Oh well we have another couple of years before both kids get their own cars and we can ditch the 4Runner. The only problem is, the 4Runner is fantastic at Home Depot with lumber, MINI not so :rolleyes:

9. Dan@GrassrootsGarage

Sep 30, 2009
    Thomasville NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds like you should keep the 4-runner around for slave labor, then you don't have to worry about ever loading lumber in the MINI's :)

10. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Does your wife have a sister? :D

Of course, my wife may not like that... :eek6:

My wife was cool when I had my Corvette, she is cool with the H2, she was cool with my supercharged 306 cu. in. Miata, she's cool with my big block'd, blown, tubbed S10...

BUT SHE JUST DON'T GET THE MINI :mad2::mad2:

She knows I have parking rules and she doesn't ***** when I cruise the parking lot for the perfect spot. She does roll her eyes when I drive past her idea of the perfect parking spot 4 times.

No Ric, you ain't got a problem, you're completely normal.

Mark

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Mark, thanks for the confirmation of my sanity.

I was at the mall today running to the bank. Drove around and around til I found the right spot. :crazy:

Parking Stall #1 too close to some beat-up cars
    Parking Stall #2 too close to the water sprinkler that was going off. Risk of mist all over nicely detailed Spike
    Parking Stall #3 nice shade, but right under a tree, too much risk of sprinkles
    Spot 4 not shaded, but between a new Lexus and shiny Golf GTI. Looked pretty safe

I love the "parking rules". Maybe I should post them under the sun visor

12. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That's CLASSIC!!!

Mark

13. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have learned it just easier if I let her out at the front door of the store and then go park the mini (if she did not know me so well she might think I was being chivalrous).

14. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Ron, I can't fool my wife, besides her specialty is directing traffic in the parkinglot, from my passenger seat!

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I do all the same things mentioned in these posts and my wife just smiles and lets it go. She was getting excited about the Countryman and wanting to hear everything that came out about it........then it died. I hope it shows up before she has to replace her SUV.

Jim

16. lol i relate.
    my girlfriend slams my passenger door like she's angry at the car, which she's not.
    she drives a mercedes and her doors are ultra heavy too lol.

and when i taught her how to drive stick, aka drive my car, she learned very quickly surprisingly, but stalled on purpose just to be cool. :eek:ut:

and she thinks that im driving too fast into and out of a corner, when in fact im just having some fun. she yells at me but i ignore her. then she says afterwards "that was a fun ride!" :smilewinkgrin:

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Again, being a 2 MINI household, this kind of thing is never an issue:D

Mark

18. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    First Rick, yes yer normal (well at least you validate my behavior)

Before we became serial MINI owners I would tell my wife I was going to "park strategically" and gave her the option of being dropped off at the front door of the store or restaurant we were going to. Worked a charm, try it

Now that she owns her own she is the one parking in the boonies so no one messes with her Tilly!! Does my heart wonders!

Still need to work with her on the correct method to close the boot.....

Also need to school her on paint care. She looked at me dead on and asked if it was OK to used paper towel and windex on the paint to remove some bird poop........I'm workin with her, I'm workin with her

19. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Only if you're needing to pick up the bird carcass after you shot the thing for pooping on your car.

20. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Exactly

There is a squadron of the little bastards that have been strafing her unmercifully