Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Improving shifter feel...Helix short shifter or something else?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by andyroo, Nov 11, 2009.

1. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Is it normal for the cover not to be able to go back on? I suppose I could make a cover as well.

- andrew

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I think all the kits that extend the stick to lengthen the lever below the fulcrum end up sticking out too far for the cover to fit without modification. You normally just leave the cover off. I figure the cover is there for a reason and I'd like to have it on, but other than the problem Nathan had I've not heard of people having problems without it.

3. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I believe what Nathan described is THE issue without the cover. Theoretically, the cover will also keep everything more clean, but since the cover is behind, or rather on top of the heatshield it is not going to get much stuff up there anyway.

I read elsewhere of heat complaints if no cover, and I believe the solution was the same, to just fab up a modified cover. It is all plastic so not too difficult.notice

For daily driving though, I would guess that most people will not notice any additional heat.

4. Ian F

Ian F New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Electrical Deisnger
    Croydon, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We have a Helix SSK on the MCS and I can't stand it... IMHO, it makes an already notchy-feeling shifter even worse... Not my car and I don't drive it very often, so not my problem... Bearing in mind my normal DD is my TDI wagon I've put over 200K miles on, so I imagine that plays a lot into it...

A friend of mine has a Whalen knob on an otherwise stock shifter - I like that MUCH better...

It's normal for the cover to be left off for the Helix SSK. I installed a different version (Moss, I think?) that is slighting shorter and included a metal cover meant to go over a hole cut into the OE cover for access... the car's owner chose to just leave the cover off...

I always thought Greg's "onasled extension" was a neat idea...