Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen In-car camera mounts

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by donaldj, May 5, 2009.

1. donaldj

donaldj New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey all!

I've been looking for an in-car camera mount system to record my autocross misadventures. So far what I've found is either not applicable (roll bar mounts) or ridiculously expensive.

I'd like it to be a metal bracket mounted somewhere, not a suction cup windshield thing.

I found one that utilizes the headrest posts on the passenger seat. They wanted over $100 for it, so I am currently making my own out of some cable-bolts (u-bolt type fasteners) and some angle iron, but thought I'd ask the folks here if they have any suggestions.

Thanks!
    Don

PS: Great idea to start a new site!

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
  3. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I made one with a piece of 3/4" aluminum bar, some "J" hooks, heat shrink toobing and a $10 camera mount from B&H. I drilled 2 holes in the aluminum bar for the J hooks, put some heat shrink toobing around the hooks so they wouldn't scratch anything and used some plastic wing nuts to allow for easy installation and removal. I have a pretty cheap Sony camera that I use in video mode. Overall it works pretty well for both the track and Auto-X.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    Mine is simular to the above post, but I drilled two holes the same size as the head rest posts. I then just slide it on the removed headrest and slide the headrest back on. I have been told that my videos are very steady, more so then from store bought units. It also can be moved to the rear seat position for rear view. Please note that when I drilled the holes they were just a little off, I then drimeled the hole a little to get a VERY tight fit. A mistake actually helped make a better mount. Good luck it is fun watching your video.

5. silver_ghost

silver_ghost New Member

May 6, 2009
    Retired
    Kenosha, WI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I made one that is also similar to BTWDRIVER's. I used 1 inch square aluminum tubing and some of the PlastiDip stuff that is used to coat tool handles to cover the "J" hooks and the area of the square tube under the hooks to prevent scratching and help hold the bracket a little tighter. I also cut a slot into the other end of the bottom of the tube and attached a home-made aluminum L bracket that slides so that I can move the camera to one side or the other more. That bracket holds the ball-head for mounting the camera.

6. mninole

mninole Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Photography Teacher
    Panama City, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Colinmini, send pics please.

7. gregd

gregd New Member

May 4, 2009
    Computer Forensics
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    btwdriver - that is a nice bracket. Thanks for posting. I had been thinking about modifying an old tripod unitl I saw this thread.

8. donaldj

donaldj New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here is the one I ended up making. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

[​IMG]
    This is the final product. I coated the angle iron, the cable bolts, and the cable cradles in spray-on rubber coating. The camera mount is a Bogen Manfrotto make, which came with my monopod.

[​IMG]
    The fastener I used was a 5/8" "cable bolt" found at Lowes. It consists of a U-bolt, the cable cradle (which fits the headrest bar perfectly!), and 2 nuts to attach it.

[​IMG]
    As seen from behind the seat. This is definitely not a "quick release" type. I was able to move the bracket up high enough so as not to interfere with the notches on the head rest adjustment. Because it's angle iron, I would not want to lower the headrest into the seat and cause abrasion.

[​IMG]
    As seen from the boot. With my particular video camera, I get decent coverage of the front window and the speedometer.

[​IMG]
    Fully installed. I was able to move the seat far enough back so that the bracket will not cause any driver interference.

All told, the cost was very cheap:
    Camera head: I had it already
    Angle Iron (14 gauge): $12
    Cable Bolts (5/8): 2x $1.04
    Spray on coating: $6

The angle iron was sold in 3 foot sections. It would be enough to make two of these.

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The only concern I'd have about that is the position of the end of it in relation to your head, in a side or rear corner impact.... would be a freak accident for sure... but stranger things have happened... I'd find some kind of sturdy, blunt cap to put on the end of it...

10. donaldj

donaldj New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I thought of that and even cut up a tennis ball to cap the end with. I didn't like that option.

Also, please understand this system will only be used during autocrossing, not on the street or in everyday driving situations. While freak occurrences will happen in life, I don't think a rear corner impact is likely in this scenario.

Thank you for the critical look at it though, I posted to get thoughts on it and that's what I want! :yesnod:

11. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I generally attach mine to the drivers headrest and use it when there is no one else in the car. I would hate to get impaled in the neck because of it.

12. paulgraz

paulgraz New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    IT Manager
    Howell, NJ
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #12 paulgraz, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  13. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I showed this off a year ago on that other site but figured it bears repeating because it's free (or really cheap).
    [IMGL]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/deviant5390/P1010383.jpg[/IMGL]Materials needed:
    -a few zip ties
    -something to raise the back of the camera slightly (I used a paper towel).
    -Camera
    -Parcel shelf
    It works remarkably well although it seems the stereo (factory H/K) vibrates the parcel shelf slightly (I'm sure my music selection didn't help). Someone else mentioned there may be issues with some people having the image bleached out in bright sunlight.

P1010381.jpg P1010382.jpg

[ame=""]YouTube - Camera Test[/ame]