IndyCar 2015 season (R)

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by MiniCamaro, Jun 27, 2015.

1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Very good, wondered if you would get the connection!!

Well it doesn't really matter what we say anyhow, things will change, that is the one constant in racing.. Someone, or two or three, will always be unhappy with the way it is...look how many hated the more enclosed rear wheels on Indy Cars, it was a direct response to a death, and a darn good move for oval track racing open wheelers, can you imagine the carnage yesterday had the tires still been able to interlock...?

All that aside, me thinks Indy Car is on an upswing if people will just watch a bit, sports car racing too... NASCAR seems to be in the death spiral whilst F1 is well, mired in their own rules wars instead of racing..

2. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Really? Back in the day he could drive and win in almost anything... I rate him in the top ten all time drivers. His personality wasn't always lovey dovey...lol

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. He's got a piss poor attitude and that rates higher for me than any success he may enjoy.

4. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, he spends his own money for the most part and I used to love seeing him come in the pits and jump out of the car and start working on it himself...lol

AJ is and was definitely an acquired taste....

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I like AJ, he is my favorite dinosaur. :D

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Two reasons I love AJ Foyt: my grandpa built a car he raced on the dirt tracks in Springfield, Illinois(Foyt had totalled his car, my grandpa's team was a team built for fun more than anything else, their driver was mediocre on a good day, so they loaned their car to the up and coming Foyt--he finished third), and he helped/encouraged Sarah Fisher first as a driver then as an owner when everyone else was beating her down. Not what you'd expect from him, but at the end of the day he cares about racing as much as anyone. I still have tremendous respect for him as an owner, but when it comes to driving, the drivers opinions matter more to me, with regard to what's happening on the track in 2015. He also was the last of the breed that could fix a car as well as drive it.

Dude won Indy multiple times, multiple driving championships, was a legend in Midgets, won Daytona, both the 24 hour and 500, and 24hrs of Le Mans. Many consider him the best American driver of all time, including Andretti, even by those who consider him an American driver.

7. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    AJ Foyt was as tough as nails as a driver and brutally honest when speaking to the press. Today his personality would be a tough sell if he was a driver but now that I think about he was really a very interesting character in in very interesting time in motor sports.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The RACER Channel's Robin Miller unloads on an empty house at Auto Club Speedway and the scheduling decisions presided over by IndyCar boss Mark Miles.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lM8LFynpu0"]RACER: Robin Miller's Message to Mark Miles - YouTube[/ame]

9. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Mario is my favorite.

I don't watch the ovals. But Indy Car racing this year is great. The racing is much better than F1. Rahal has been doing great this year. He can't let his girl friend, Courtney Force, outshine him in racing.

10. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    I, too, wasn’t a big fan of his… at first.
    Met A.J. following a IMSA Firehawk race at Sebring in the late ’80’s or early ’90’s. Team for which I was crewing had just beaten A.J.’s son’s team. He walked down pit road, stepped over the wall into our area, stuck out his hand, gave a big smile and shook hands with each one of us congratulating us on the win.
    For a small-ish individual, he filled up the pit area and he had a presence about him.

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    He's known for that--if he gets beat fair and square, he's always the first to congratulate the winner. When Penske's team obliterated Indy in 1994 essentially by taking advantage of a loophole, Foyt was one of the few that congratulated him and went one step further, telling everyone to stop whining because they weren't on top of it enough to figure it out themselves...He can be abrasive, but he doesn't make excuses. We could use more of that.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I agree Indy racing has been much better for a couple of years. That being said the Fontana race was competitive as heck, but also incredibly dangerous. All racing is dangerous, but that was over the line IMO.

Oh yes, Mario is another favorite dinosaur of mine. I think it is great that drivers of his time raced anything with wheels anywhere. :Thumbsup:

13. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    My favorite Foyt moment was many years ago at the Texas track when his

driver just got passed by I think Sarah Fisher. He screamed at his driver,

"you just got passed by a girl!" That was laugh out loud funny.

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but it was tongue in cheek, he'd been passed by a girl too in his career. He was/is a big supporter of Fisher.

He also more dramatically went out on a limb for Janet Guthrie when virtually everyone else was taking nasty shots at her. The guy has a sense of fair play and did the admirable thing that no one else was willing to do when it would have been much easier not to.

15. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    There was a English lady driver named Desire Wilson who ran a few CART races. Foyt made the comment; Man that girl has balls. It was in reference to watching her aggressive driving.

16. MiniCamaro

MiniCamaro Member

Oct 24, 2013
    retired
    west coast USA
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I like Bobby Rahal still, but he certainly seems....I dunno....quieter than AJ.

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I've always liked Bobby Rahal too. He's not as quiet as you think, just ask his son....

18. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    It's never quite when you work for your dad. Over 9 years the only quite time is when we were fishing. I do miss fishing with him.

19. MiniCamaro

MiniCamaro Member

Oct 24, 2013
    retired
    west coast USA
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Bourdais win Wisconsin. I was out for most of it due to my (somewhat misguided) Comic-Con curiosity. But the last 20 laps were great, and I assume the rest was good too. Rahal 3rd.

20. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It was a fascinating race, Bourdais could simply pass and run away from the entire field at will. He came out of the pits in 10th, and 15 laps later he was in first and had a 15 second gap back to 2nd!

That was the Seb I remember from his CART days!

I think he's starting to get his groove back.....