Most liked posts in thread: Install - Hotchkis 25mm Comp Rear Sway

1. InstrumentOfPeace

InstrumentOfPeace Active Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    So I took my favorite canyon up to see my daughter on Friday (Father Daughter school dance)
    Taking the turns at a speed I’d normally take them. The primary difference, if I’m not imagining it, is the vehicle seemed to turn smoother with ease versus a “rough” vibration across the vehicle. Dunno if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. InstrumentOfPeace

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Feels much tighter. As my date this evening cancelled (lulz) I may now take a spin up Hwy 2 canyons to see how it really feels. I’ll let you know.

3. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    With the new bar and fittings, the MINI will feel tighter or smoother, give it. 500 miles and see if it stays smooth. Should not have any vibration unless a suspension componet it loose.

Enjoy it, try different things.
    Don

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Great service from Chad & the good folks at Detroit Tuned. :Thumbsup:

I'd sure put it on hole 3 (farthest from the end) tightest setting. My tip to you is to use some blue 242 locktite on all the bolts. Torque them to spec.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. InstrumentOfPeace

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    After posting this I again went out. All lugs loosened. Checked the front, loosened as would be expected.
    I’m fairly positive it’s an oem sway bar, but looks as if it’s taken a few hits (i.e. been taken off before, scratched bad but there’s no other parts even remotely close to it)

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Countering oversteer in a FWD car is not easy. Instinct tells you to get off the throttle......you need more throttle in a FWD car. That is why I say keep it neutral with a tendency to understeer at the limit. It is much easier to come out of an understeer unless you have lots of track time to practice. You aren't on a race track.

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The internet is not a great place to learn high performance driving. You need seat time & a safe place to do it. Doing a Porsche club or other track day / drivers school is a very good idea. you will learn a lot. Even auto-x will teach you the benefits of smoothness & car control.

Please be careful trying to find the limits on public roads. The margins for error can be very slim.

Have fun be safe. :Thumbsup:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    I recommend putting the bar on the lowest setting and get some driving time to experience the change. It's easy enough to change it to a new setting when desired.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. InstrumentOfPeace

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Installed & quick test run. Thank you all & grateful for your help.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Hole nearest the end is the soft setting......closer in gets harder. Harder is going to cause the rear to get loose. Not fun in a FWD car......be careful

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You should have no problem with the RSB at its tightest setting. As long as you don't do stupid things like snap off the throttle mid-corner, you will be fine. Enjoy your new found turn-in. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Well since you did not ask, as mentioned, if on full stiff on a 25, do not lift in a turn, ever! I usually run in the middle since my reaction times have slowed a bit in my 70s. :) . I have run a 19mm and a 22mm in the middle on my 07 MINI, never took the jump to a 25, but gave it some serious though when I was doing some autoX.

Don

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Nothing to add tip wise other than the very good advice above. Just practice, practice, practice and start simple and learn how the car reacts to different imputes in turns. The best thing you can learn is from seat time, doing it yourself will build your skills and memory.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #28 MCS02, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    H.S. Drivers ed will kill you. I remember being with a friend that in a panic stop kept slamming on the brakes locking up and would let up and slam agin (pre-ABS). I was screaming to stop doing that. When we finally stoped alive, no thinks to him, I asked him what in the H3LL he was doing, he said that what he was taught to do in DR ED. He had no clue what threshold braking was.
    Brake coming to the corner, once you enter the corner keep the speed even till you apex out then start to accelerate. A front wheel drive car can be done a little different but its still to keep the car balanced going in.
    Unless you are on a rally, then its a$$ out all the way around the corner. Chuck can teach that, I am not manly enough for that.:D
    Find a High Performance Driver Ed to do on the weekend. The Porsche and BMW club usually have good ones.

15. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    If the noise wasn't there before the new sway bar then it is probably related to that installation. If you haven't already done so, I'd recheck all the fasteners and make sure they are tight. Also check the e-brake cables and brake lines to make sure they are not hitting anything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. InstrumentOfPeace

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Right?! Turns out it was/is the rear spoiler! Which now will only go up on one side. So soon I’ll either dismantle it or put in a fixed spoiler.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. InstrumentOfPeace

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. Thanks for the input!! Seems the lug nuts are either seized or were well over torqued. Breaker bar w/mallet didn’t even budge them. Time to soak ‘em. :)

18. InstrumentOfPeace

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Ya know. I’ve had those thoughts as well before ordering because this car handles a corner like it paid for it.

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Slide a 3 foot pipe over your breaker bar. That may give you the extra grunt needed. Use a 6 point socket, it will give a better bite than a 12 point. Seems many places hammer thee lugs on with no thought to what proper torque is.

Best loosen all the lugs front & rear & re-torque them to spec.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. InstrumentOfPeace

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Just about half way. On the convertible models, I have to poke a hole in the heat shield to get a special bolt out (why? :D)

Attached Files: