Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Installed DT BPV on my 2006 R53 S

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MyFunkyMINI, Oct 11, 2011.

1. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Saturday I installed the Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve.
    Directions say "about an hour". :rolleyes5:

3 hours later she was all done. 2 hrs to remove everything and one to put it all back together. :wink:

A few things:
    1. The stock cold air duct just snaps out when you give it a good pull - and doesn't want to snap back in. Still working on that...
    2. The 11mm nut on the back side of the air horn can be reached with a 1/4" 11mm socket. Found this out when I re-installed it and wish I'd figured it out when removing it.
    3. I'd really like to see the channel lock pliers that will fit in the space available to lock the clamp for the tube on the throttle body from the air box. I finally installed a new screw-down hose clamp.
    4. The Supercharger Intake Tube has two vacuum fittings on the side: watch out that they don't pull out when you're trying to move the tube off the BPV and out of the way enough to remove the intercooler air horn. One of mine did pop off, but it wasn't difficult to reinstall.
    5. "Be careful not to score the face of the air horn mounting surface on the studs sticking out from the intake manifold." Ahem. Getting it off was fine. Putting it back on, well, like Chad says, be careful. I was careful, but not quite perfect.

The old BPV was in pretty good shape. Definite difference in spring stiffness and the old BPV was showing about 70% more light around the circumference than the DT BPV.

I don't feel much change in response with my 2006 S. I'll have to drive her some more before I can really tell, but there is no big "Aha!" or "night and day" difference. I did reset the ECU, as recommended and I'll see how it feels after a couple hundred miles. Being at 7k ft above sea level means considerably less O2 and the performance does suffer some. I intend to put a 15% pulley on and will service the S/C and check all the connex then.

All in all, not a bad install. My first real wrenching on the MINI (I had replaced the power steering pump fan, but that doesn't count. The most difficult part of that was getting her jacked up).

I'm glad I did it. DT got the part to me very efficiently and the instructions were pretty thorough. I'll probably get my Pulley Kit from DT and my Control Arm Bushings. It's too bad Santa Fe doesn't have a place where you can rent a lift and tools. I know lots of cities have 'em, but I expect I'll pay a tech to do the Pulley and Bushings because I don't have access to the tools required.

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on getting the job done! I'd be interested in the results as they say the DT valve really benefits the 04's and older which had the Yo-Yo effect which was changed on the 05-06 models. That would explain why you don't feel much difference......yet.

Keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

3. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    This is next on the list for my 2006. I haven't driven a 2004 or earlier, but I definitely have a significant yo-yo...

4. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Happy to share...
    I'm not sure how long it might take for the ECU respond to the new BPV and to my driving technique, but I've put about 100 miles on her and really am not experiencing a difference.

The car doesn't really exhibit a "shove you back into your seat" kind of boost from the S/C. The engine accelerates smoothly from about 3k, it just doesn't do it as quickly as I'd like it to, especially in 3rd gear. It seems to take the engine a while to get moving with the throttle floored. It doesn't hesitate; just seems to take time to rev up. After about 40% of the gas pedal travel there's no immediate response for the next 60% to the floor. There's continual, smooth acceleration, yes, but you'd think the engine would show some response. It's like a potentiometer with a reverse audio taper: the steepest slope of (greatest) increase is in the first 40% and the increase after that is very modest for the rest of the rotation. I'm not sure how or if this can be addressed.

I drove a 2009 S with the turbo and that was amazing - slams you back in your set with WOT - but unfortunately was above my pay grade. My '06 would never keep up with it. That car had a huge boost when the turbo spooled up.

The BPV is just a prelude to the new pulley and plugs. I certainly expect to feel something once that's installed! There isn't a single mechanic in Santa Fe (pop. 70k) who's done the job. Even the dealer in Albuquerque (pop. 500k) has never done one, although they're willing to do it for about $600 in labor (5hrs). I would love to DIY, but need a warm(er) garage and a decent jack to lift the engine.

5. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I assume you already have a good CAI installed?

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    $600.00 to install a pulley and plugs is outrageous.

You will feel a big difference with the pulley! ;)

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Looks like the closest "Tuner Shop" (look under M/A Sponsor) is 5th Gear Auto. Maybe give them a call. It's a short 6-1/2 hour drive north in Colorado. Might make for a nice mountain trip. Of course the return trip will probably be shorter in time.....:D

8. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    A 15% pulley and ECU tune will get you that kick you are looking for.
    I had a big grin on my face the first time I drove my 2003 MCS after the 15% pulley install and ECU tune. However, that lack of Oxygen is always going to reduce power.

The turbo motor has more torque than your R53 and thus more push.

9. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I had a DT bypass valve installed on my 06 for about 2 weeks. After installing it on my car it developed some crazy yo-yo. From what I've heard this can be hit or miss installing it on a post 04 MINI.

10. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you install it yourself?

11. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    yea its not a hard install though.

12. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Alice! I saw you perform in Chicago in 1968. You were very wacky and this was way before you had any commercial success. Great show!

I don't intend to install a CAI ever, but if I were to it would be after the pulley, etc.

13. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #13 MyFunkyMINI, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    everything went back to normal when you re installed your old BPV? Any other mods on yours?

Hi Jeff, just read your thread about the DT BPV. I'm curious about the VGS mod, but I think the pulley is going to trump any of the lessor changes. :wink:

14. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, you know the dealer is going to be outrageous just on principle. There is one guy in town who I could trust to get it right and I'm waiting to get an estimate from him.
    What do you reckon a reasonable # of hours labor would be?

15. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What does an "ECU tune" consist of?

Yeah, that turbo was quite an eye opener, even here at 7k ft elevation. If my car approaches that after the pulley install, I'll definitely be smiling.

16. JasonB

JasonB New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    SLT
    Albuquerque
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mods

Hi, If you plan to do anymore mods let me know and I'd be more then happy to help you out. I'm in Abq and have an 06 MCS as well. I have done all the modsto my car myself and know my way around the car. I have a 15% pulley, DT BPV, CAI, numerous suspension mods, etc etc. I bought my car new and just turned 104k last week and runs like a champ.:Thumbsup:

Jason

17. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Hour or so and you should replace the belt too.

18. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I've had mine on for about a month, and its smooth as butter. Completely smoothed out the yo-yo I had, and it vastly improved the drivablility of my car. I always found it annoying that it was so jerky from on throttle to off throttle, and vice versa. But that's all fixed. I love mine. And yes I did the install myself with a little drama, and I still have an SES light on because I haven't had time or warmth to chase it down. But it drives fantastic.

19. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jason! Thanks for the offer. As of now I have the CAI, 15% pulley and Stratmosphere Catback along w/the DT BPV. I need to do control arm bushings and sway bar, then think about other suspension trix. You ever do the bushings? Got tools? Got lift?
    Let me know and much obliged!
    Murali

20. MyFunkyMINI

MyFunkyMINI New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I did install a DDM CAI along w/the Craven Speed 15% Pulley. Found a local guy who charged me $186. New belt and tensioner stop, too. I feel a little sorry for him though, 'cause he ruined the puller I rented for him and had to buy that for his shop. Hope he can tap it out and continue to use it. It wasn't cheap.

Now, with the Stratmosphere Catback on, I can begin to think about suspension and brakes.

Yes, my funky mini is faster now. :Thumbsup: