Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Installing WMW Diverter/Blow Off Valve

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Octaneguy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #1 Octaneguy, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    DIY: Installing WMW Diverter/Blow Off Valve

I purchased a Way Motor Works Diverter Valve for my 2010 Clubman S.
    [​IMG]

Installing it wasn't difficult but because so little info was available, I thought documenting the process would help others determine if they want to do the install themselves or hire a mechanic.

Here is the WMW valve next to the OEM valve. My OEM valve only has 6,000 miles on it and you can see that it doesn't extend out as far as the WMW version. Otherwise they look identical.
    [​IMG]

With the diverter valve removed, you can see where and how it mounts. In case you aren't sure, it's the 3 holes in a triangular pattern in the center of the picture.
    [​IMG]

But the first challenge is to gain access to this area because it normally looks like this.
    [​IMG]

So with a 10mm socket, I removed the coolant reservoir.
    [​IMG]

And removed the intake hoses by loosening this hose clamp
    [​IMG]

Remove the wiring harness by squeezing the clip
    [​IMG]

Access is much better now, but still not perfect
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Using a T30 bit, I managed to remove the first bolt, but I kept wondering how I would remove the other two?
    [​IMG]

I decided to remove the coolant tank altogether because it kept getting in the way.
    [​IMG]

A quick trip to the local auto parts store, and I bought another T30 since I dropped the last one in the engine bay. I reconnected the hoses, added more coolant, and I was done!
    [​IMG]

After driving for a few miles, I immediately noticed the improvement, so much that non Sport mode was much improved! I love this mod!

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Cool DIY Richard, your pictures are always very helpful.:D

So, what kind of change do you get when you do hit the sport button? Is there still a noticeable bump?

3. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!! I will post more about my impressions as I get more driving time. I did feel a similar bump but I was really impressed by how it felt without the sport button. I was very glad that despite my 2010 model that the mod was still noticeably effective and that I could feel an improvement immediately.

My next mod is the NM Torque Arm inserts and the noise maker delete from WMW. Both are just waiting for me to install.

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Good little how to, if you had it in a PDF I'd put in on my website.

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I can make that happen for you bud. :Thumbsup:

Still loving the mod. Really improves the performance, more so than I expected.

6. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Ok Way, check your Yahoo email. Special PDF just for you. :Thumbsup:

Richard

7. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Got, now let me try to get it up.:Thumbsup:

8. Porthos

Porthos New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice write up! You removed about twice as much stuff I did. Which was just about everything. I just moved stuff out of the way but, that is probably why I lost one of those screws. Just FYI for anyone that does this mod, Pepboys sells the same size screws so if you lose one it is ok you can one from them.

9. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I tried not to remove everything, but I just couldn't get access to those screws. The front one was easy, but the rear one was just buried in there. I knew I was going to lose something if I couldn't see what I was doing. Haha, so I lost a T30 bit. I dropped a screw too, but it fell all the way to the floor so that was ok.

But once I could see what I was doing, I had trouble getting my driver into place..it's pretty tight there.

Maybe if I did this mod again, I wouldn't need to remove as much. :Thumbsup:

The mod is wonderful! For me, I'm not even driving in Sport mode anymore...not sure if it's just me, but I don't feel the same stiffening of the steering wheel on my R55 that I have felt on the R56 when in Sport mode. The only difference I feel is in throttle responsiveness and this mod fixes that.

10. Bigprfed22

Bigprfed22 New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need to get one of these. i would like to run a closed system but electronics do not permit me to:incazzato:

11. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great Info! With tutoral, It doesnt appear that hard. I got a good laugh about the bit falling in the engine bay. That usually happens to me.

12. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Scotch Tape Bolt holder

Here's a trick I learned in shear desperation while installing my DV. Put a piece of scotch tap over the end of the bit and jam it into the bolt head. Finger start the bolt, pull the bit off, remove the tape and tighten. Note: It pays to use an extension with a bit lock! Lost 2 bolts down in there somewhere before I dreamed up this scheme. RIP! :cryin: :Thumbsup:

13. gregsmini

gregsmini New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Harleysville, PA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the great instructions! I installed my WMW BOV today and your pictures and descriptions left me know what to expect. Yes, I did drop my torx bit in the engine compartment:nonod:, but I was able to retrieve it with a magnet. So...go get the scotch tape as described above and that solved the problem:Thumbsup:.

Now I have to drive "Sunny" for a few days to see how I like the change.

One question, the bolts appeared to have a coating, loctite or never seize, should I have put something on them before reinstalling?

Thanks again for your help!

14. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I suppose I probably shouldn't tell you about the Audi/VW valve I just put in to replace the WMW! LOL , but :Thumbsup:.

15. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    On my R56 that has a sport button, will this valve make any difference?

16. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
  17. j3ffng

j3ffng New Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi guys, i need help with installation. but those picture posted is not found. please help. can you email me the pdf to [email protected]