Insurance & the Track

Discussion in 'Track Days & HPDE's' started by versus, Jun 20, 2011.

1. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    My pop was thinking of getting some seat time in at Phil Wicks Mini Driving Academy, thing is his insurance said he wouldn't be covered while out on the track. Granted he could always use one of their MINI's down there, but that'd be more expensive, and he has one in the garage:biggrin5:. So, any suggestions from those of you who frequent the track on a regular basis?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If he puts his car on track & has a big #!$$% the cost of the Phil Wicks rental MINI may seem cheap. There are companies that will insure a car on track, but it will not be cheap.

Edit... Seems like a 1 day policy is not that bad. Much cheaper than the cost of a MINI.

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Lockton Affinity is offered at most of the events I go to. I think you pretty much tell them how much value you want insured, and they give you a quote. Not sure how much the organizers play into that, but I think there are some minimum requirements. A friend bought insurance for his E46 M3 in February; cost came to about $120 for the weekend.

5. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I had a 1 year policy from these guys: SLE Insurance that covered up to 15 events. The coverage limit was 30K and the annual premium was right around $1,000. There is a 3K deductible, but I figure that is pretty good if you total your car. DE insurance is really not that expensive if you are going a lot.

6. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the prompt replies.:Thumbsup:

7. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Here is the way it SHOULD be:

You should be able to do a one day or a weekend deal for an increased rate, since stuff happens on the track. No problem.

However, your rates should go down after the HPDE since you just increased your knowledge of car handling and learned to drive better...

But then, insurance is the best scam going. Think that'll EVER happen??? :rolleyes:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

8. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Not a bad thought process, problem is, it makes too much sense:biggrin5: