1st Gen R53 Cooper S Intake Manifold Install Question

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by istara, Aug 8, 2010.

1. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In putting my car back together, I wasn't smart enough to do things in exactly the reverse order that I took them apart and have run in to a problem.

When removing parts, I removed the head and then the intake manifold. When putting it back together, I put the head on first, and now the intake won't clear the horn from the supercharger to the intercooler. My current plan is to take off the front end and remove the supercharger in order to get everything back together, but it seems silly.

In short: is it really not possible to take off / re-install the intake manifold without either removing the SC or the head? :eek:ut:

The bentley seems to think it's doable, but I must be missing something.

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    You should be able to work it in going from the drivers side and angling to the big SC horn. I hope you have small fingers and patients to install and tighten the intake fasteners?

3. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Lynn for the win! Dude, so glad to have you on our team.

Good luck istara, hope that gets you back together.

4. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There was definitely no way it was going to be physically possible, at least on my car. I even had a second set of eyes look at it, so I don't think I'm crazy. On the bright side, it wasn't that far out of my way to loosen up the supercharger which allowed me to rescue a lost socket, 2 lost nuts, and made it a lot easier to torque the intake manifold. Thanks for the help :)

5. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to hearing the results of your DIY project.

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    with all the hardware removed...

it surely will rattle a lot less!

I could do the intake on my 02 without removing the SC, but it was a bit of a pain.

Matt

7. bodinski

bodinski New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I took my intake off with the SC still installed (SC R&R, using Bentley manual as a guide). It wasn't exactly easy, but the intake came off. I installed the intake before the SC went back on.
    I'd honestly be tempted to take a file to the edge of the intake before reinstalling and make it fit. It looks like there's plenty of excess, non-critical material there. Just my opinion - proceed with caution!
    Best of luck - bo

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    What are you taking about every bit of the material on the intake should remain untouched!!!!!:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    You should just send that IM to my Lynn... go ahead and port match it to my head.. K-THX ;-)

10. bodinski

bodinski New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #10 bodinski, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    The part that hits the SC horn isn't part of the sealing/mating surface (and is not visible in your pics) - and looks as though it could be filed a tad to alleviate clearance issues. I would file it to avoid pulling the front end & SC, but that's me. As I had to pull my SC anyway, I didn't bother.
    Don't do anything rash, and your mileage may very well vary.
    Peace - bo

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    These pictures are not istara's this threads author.
    You seem to be talking about my picture's and my manifold? Not sure the reference about mileage? You should see the SC big end and the interior. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]