2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Intercooler Installation difficulty level?

1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    #2 DneprDave, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
    Helix has a video on how to install their intercooler, it'll give you an idea of what's involved.

Helix Motorsports

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpg4YodLiIw"]Helix Mini Cooper Stepped Intercooler Installation Video - YouTube[/ame]

Dave

2. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    A rule of thumb...read a lot before f*cking something up. If unsure...spend the extra for a shop installation before you get more accustomed to the car and turning a wrench.

I needed a new supercharger, water pump, and some other bits. I probably 'could' have done the work (I do most of the work on my car) but I really didn't want to mess something up so I brought it to Helix. No problems.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Hey Robo, are you in either of the Puget Sound MINI Clubs?

There's Salish Sea MINI Motoring club, they have something going on every month. They have a lot of members in the South Puget Sound area

SSMINI

Then there is the Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club.

Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club

They are more centered around Seattle and north.

I'm a member of both of them and have gone on some real fun runs with each of them.

Dave

4. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't hurt! The CAI you should be able to do though, try to find how to's so you can see if it is something manageable to do.

The best (and fun) way to do it...is just DO IT :biggrin5: If you have any questions while doing any of the mods just ask and there will be plenty of people to offer advice and help.

5. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    If you're absolutely new to auto mechanic type stuff, I would highly advise having an experienced friend help you and if you don't have that, just let someone else do it. It's not rocket science, but there is a lot of potential to screw stuff up and worse yet, get stuck in the middle of the repair with a lack of proper tools.

I would still say to not shy away from getting your hands dirty eventually. Working hands on is often one of the best ways to learn.

6. Robo91

Robo91 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    US ARMY
    Tacoma WA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Intercooler

Thanks much Dave

7. Robo91

Robo91 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    US ARMY
    Tacoma WA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Mini

Yeah exactly. My wrenching skills are basically 0. Im thinking i will just swing the extra cash to have it installed by a professional for the peace of mind. At least until i become more familiarized with the mechanics of my car.