2nd Gen JCW Intercooler recommendations

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by mrminimmel, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I found a fun new set of wheels that are attached to a Cooper S and instead of my 2010 Cooper I now have something with power and a manual transmission to autocross in. A friend mentioned putting on a larger intercooler. I'd love to hear some feedback on brands to check out. And also some pros and cons of adding this to the car. I have a JCW engine and aero kit on the car that was dealer installed. I also have Pirelli runflats that skipped all over the place during last weekends autocross.
    Thanks, Pete

2. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    If your new wheels are attached to a Gen1 car, the factory intercooler does a pretty good job, and outperforms most of the aftermarket parts. Will the new IC bump you up a class?
    If yes, the potential change in performance won't be worth it.

Pat

3. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It's a gen 2 2010 S. Is the sole purpose of an intercooler to boost horsepower? I was thinking part of the benefit is to help keep the engine cooler out here in AZ.

4. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I put a FMIC on my 2011 MCS along with charge and discharge tubes. The difference was significant. The debate exists on whether a FMIC makes HP or merely preserves is due to cooler air. In AZ, I'd definitely get the FMIC just to make sure the turbo maintains a good supply of cooler air and your HP will remain constant. ALTA performance shows their FMIC increases HP, whereas Helix and Forge show the temp differentials. Feedback I've gotten is that with the FMIC you can experience anywhere from 15 to 18 HP gain; add a CAI and maybe get another 2 to 5 HP -- FWIW IMHO. By the way Helix and Forge FMIC will not require any frontend mod cuts but ALTA's does, from my understanding.
    BZ

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    If auto crossing is your driving force, I suggest ditching the run flats and the heavy factory wheels for non-run flats and lighter wheels. That will boost your cars performance more than adding horsepower.

6. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The runflats are definitely going away and newer lighter wheels are being looked at. Forged or cast? Price is definitely an issue. Quality brand ideas?? There are so many manufacturers-wow!

7. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I believe improving performance in the "Weight to HP" ratio is the goal. So either one can change the numerator, or change the denominator. Either on will help it just sort of goes to how much money one can afford. If he can get around 200 HP for about $2K that would be the equivalent of trying to find how to reduce weight by almost 250# which is harder and more costly - IMHO. I figure, whatever is cheaper to do first, but keep moving in the direction of getting Wt/HP lower.

8. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Get the Helix stepped core FMIC! Had mine a year and I seldom see more then a 1-2deg difference between ambient and IAT. :Thumbsup:

9. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This seems to be the advice I needed to hear. I checked SCCA rules and an intercooler would change my class and I don't need that. Tires and wheels- here I come. Lighter wheels and stickier tires-Yahoooo!

10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    What AutoX class are you trying to run? Wheel size can also effect your classing.

11. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Good point Way!

12. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Funny, we were just having that discussion with a r53. So would that work for an R53?

13. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Right now I'm in the STX Open class. The car came with 205/45/r17 Pirelli runflats on 17x7" wheels. I don't have a problem with the class I'm in because I'm still having fun. I won most of my novice races in a mostly stock Mini that was stock until the wheels I bought had .06" too much offset. After I changed the wheels I moved from Novice 1 to Novice 2 then 3. I also added a sway bar once I figured the class change was something I could live with. Now I have the Cooper S and after some questions to people that understand the classing and categorizing of cars, I'm in STX open. TMI? So the intercooler question or change would really throw me into a whole new place I don't think I'm prepared to compete in. Sorting though different mods for the car is exciting . I enjoy the feedback form all of you that have been doing this awhile. Pete

14. Way Motor Works

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I have to look again to make 100% sure but off the top of my head I don't think you can be wider than 8inch for STX. I've got some new wheels coming soon that we will be stocking that will be great for this.
    STX is a real suspension class, as they allow almost anything for suspension.

15. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think because I'm still so new to the sport that my next mod would be tires and wheels, then/or the 19mm three hole sway bar from Hotchkis. I liked how that felt in our other Mini. After that I was thinking Koni shocks or springs to lower it?? Any other things to add to the list?

16. Way Motor Works

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    If your that serious into AutoX I would suggest the Hsport Comp sway bar. Then I would make camber plates move up to the top of your list as that will save you alot of $$ on tire wear, and make you faster.

17. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Those last two points are high on my list of important things to consider.
    When I purchased and installed the 19mm sway bar in my first Mini, it was the Hotchkis brand and it looked as though if it were any bigger it wouldn't fit. Does the 25.5 mm fit in the 2010 Cooper S? Camber plates? Way out of my league for research and intelligent choice making in terms of pros and cons and unintended consequences. The car is a mostly daily driver with a once or twice a month autocross. The Vorshlag plates sounded good in the most recent reviews. Is this a slippery slope that leads to a novice driver to chasing one mod after another? I want to make sure I feel and learn how to appreciate each change in tuning up the performance of the car.

18. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    You'll still have a good daily driver with camber plates and a thick rear sway bar. And yes the 25.5mm hollow bar will fit. It comes with different brackets and bushings.

When you start getting custom valved shocks and installing a roll bar, then you're pushing the car over the line towards a competition car. Don't worry, you're nowhere near that. Camber plates and sway bar will actually make the car a better daily driver.

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    +1 for camber plates, if allowed by your class. Lots of folks run them on daily drivers with no ill effects. And HUGE front grip improvement when cornering.

20. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so the camber plates move into higher consideration but now I need to hear about the pros and cons of the different brands-Vorshlag,Ireland Engineering(sp?), NM,and others , camber and castor(sp?),ride harshness, adjustability, etc. Will they work better if I lower the car a bit. New wheels and tires are on their way(19 lb & 45mm offset and yokos ad08s)???? Thanks for the info!!