Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Intermittent Clunking?

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Are your motor mounts OK?

2. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know. Is there a simple check?

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a motor mount to me, also...

Visually inspect the mount - is it leaking?
    Also - open bonnet, have someone stand beside the car and watch the engine as you let the clutch out and start rolling - see if they can hear it, and watch how much the engine shifts fore/aft.

4. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I had this symptom, and it turned out to be the front control arm bushings. Have also had the hydraulic motor mount fail twice.

For the motor mount failure, look for seepage of dirty, sticky crud from the top of the hydraulic mount, and on nearby frame, etc.

_Dave_

Edit: with all your mods, you should also consider drivetrain issues. In addition to the control arm bushings and motor mount, I also had to have a wheel bearing and a stub axle replaced while this sound was being diagnosed. I only mentioned the bushings above because that's what finally made the noise go away.

5. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep - on a 2004 control arm bushings are also a likely culprit.

6. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully not the control arm bushings, as my friendly local MINI dealer charged me a fortune to change those in January. I complained then as the car only had 40K on it:mad5:

I'll check out the engine mount. Any recos on an upgrade should I end up swapping it out?:idea:

7. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Stock hydraulic unit is about $100, lasts about 40k, and rides smooth till you drive it hard again. TSW makes a polyurethane damper for about twice the price, lasts till the polyurethane wears out (150k? 200k?), and holds the engine in place when you're trying to heel-toe from 4th to 3rd, get right back on the gas, and not let that Elise scamper away from you on the back straight. If you enjoy the subtle vibrations of the classical masters as you cruise around smooth suburban streets at a medium pace, you might not enjoy the extra stiffness of TSW's damper.

For what it's worth, I hate the way the engine flops around when the OEM damper fails, even around town, so I bolted on the TSW unit and love it.

8. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Hey Ben,
    In my hot rod days we wanted solid mounts to keep the engine tied to the frame to help with throttle/car response.. Any adverse side effects other then vibrations ( loved that part in my '68 SCJ Mustang Fastback) to fab-ing up a solid bracket on the cheap to replace the OEM mount..

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    One thing I'd start worrying about with solid steel engine mounts (other than NVH) would be safety... the OEM mounts are engineered to fail in a predictable manner in a catastrophic collision to let the engine drop...

10. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Well as far as safety's concerned, the critical connection is the bolt connecting the bottom of the engine mount to the frame. It's an E12 female torx M10 bolt, and it's not very thick (part # 22116766753 on RealOEM). But the vibration from the 4 cylinder would be crazy.

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    That bolt would probably fail "even better" with a solid mount. :devil:

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yep, and it would probably fail at a most inopportune time as well (not when it was supposed to fail).:nonod:

13. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I happened to be in the neighbourhood of my MINI dealer today so popped in to see if they could check the clunk out, as the noise has been getting more regular. Their senior mechanic, who has worked on my car quite a bit, checked it out and says it's the engine mount. I had checked it out and saw no leaking crud myself, but he says you don;t always get that at failure. He said it's not unusual at 6 years old, or 40K, to see them fail. He did not reckon it was linked to the extra power I have. Just a coincidence.

So the question is, do I replace it with OEM and get a 2 year warranty on it, or replace it with something else? I had been told that the 2004 OEM mount was one of the better units fitted to the cars.

Another question is, is this a pretty easy job to swap out?

14. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Assuming this 2004 model was built after January and has the metal encased damper, replace with another OEM. The parts warranty only applies if installed in a MINI service department.

The swap is not a difficult task. Be sure to use the correct frame bolt for that model damper; the later version bolt is longer than the earlier one.

15. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How do I find my build date? I am pretty sure it's the newer engine mount. You don;t have any pictures do you?

16. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Not entirely true. Independent shops get the same deal. When my 2nd mount failed, the shop just had to take the busted part and a receipt from when they installed it and the dealer gave them a new one.

I'm not sure how they would deal with someone doing their own work, but do know that other shops get the parts warranty, not just the dealer. :Thumbsup:

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Build date is on the driver door jamb and the later model engine mount is a metal looking "can" instead of the rubber "ball" that the earlier cars had.

You should also consider getting the powerflex engine bushings.
    MINI Cooper Powerflex Motor Mount Kit

18. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just found that out. Mines an 02/04 mfg date. Has the silver cannister type of mount. So is the better one or the worse one?

19. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So assume these bushings do not go anywhere near the engine mount we are talking about, so where do these fit?

20. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Worse.

The Powerflex kit is for the lower engine mount. There's three dampened connections between the engine and the body: upper engine mount, lower engine mount, and transmission mount. Silver can (04+) is the upper engine mount. The other two are under the car.