Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Intermittent Clunking?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by UKXPAT, May 9, 2010.

1. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Worse.

The Powerflex kit is for the lower engine mount. There's three dampened connections between the engine and the body: upper engine mount, lower engine mount, and transmission mount. Silver can (04+) is the upper engine mount. The other two are under the car.

2. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So any recommendation for replacing the cannister type of top engine mount?

3. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    TSW makes an aftermarket polyurethane engine mount that really cuts down on engine whip. When you've got your foot on the floor in second, lift and push the clutch, and then as you shift into third and get back on the gas, the engine has to rock back into place before the power hits the wheels, that's what the TSW gets rid of. If that happens to you regularly, you'll like it. If you enjoy motoring serenely down the highway and see no need to stiffen the suspension, stay away.

The OEM mount works reasonably well and lasts 40-60k. It has that plush yet firm OEM feel, and it's significantly cheaper than the TSW. Another option is to replace the OEM and add an engine dampener. Two popular models are made by VIP and TSW.

4. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought they did, but when I check the website it only shows one for 02-03 models.

I am kind of leaning towards the OEM right now, and here' my reasoning. My MINI dealer will fit an OEM unit for 200 bucks, and I get a 2 year warranty on the part. I do drive the car hard on the road quite often, but no real track time, and I have not been concious of an issue with the standard mount until it failed. I am putting out a lot more power since Febuary, but have still not really noticed an issue with the mounts, that I recognize as that.

5. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, looks like TSW's sold out of the later model motor mount.

Based on your description of your driving habits, yeah, I think you'd be happier with an OEM motor mount. It's really not that bad as far as performance, just plan on it failing again. The 2 year warranty should take care of the next one, depending on how many miles you put on the car.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

Ummmm.....no. The kit is for the lower and upper engine bushings and you can add the bushing for the transmission side if you wanted.

The "can" is the engine mount but the car has 3 engine bushings. These bushings can be replaced/augmented by aftermarket parts. These will help eliminate the rocking of the engine. The can has nothing to do with the engine movement forward and back, only there for engine support.

You can get a replacement for the engine mount/can and the TSW part is for the later cars. The website has it mismarked. This is the only true alternative for the later models engine mount. Now this part will not help with the engine movement, you need to get new bushings for that.

The Powerflex bushings linked to replace or augment the upper and lower engine bushings. These will help eliminate the rocking motion of the engine. These will in my opinion offer better performance than the bolt on damper-type of part.

7. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Huh? :confused:

What did I miss? I just double-checked realoem, group 22. I'm referring to my 2006 R53, which should match the OP's late model 2004. There's an upper engine mount, which is the "can" that appears on later model Cooper S's. I replaced that with the TSW polyurethane motor mount.

Then there's the lower engine mount, with a little hole and a big hole, each of which has a bushing. I have a new Powerflex kit for the lower engine mount sitting in my living room, which includes a purple polyurethane replacement bushing for the small hole, and a couple yellow polyurethane inserts for the big hole. It just arrived today, actually.

And finally, there's the transmission mount, which supports the engine on the driver's side. And I haven't taken that one apart yet.

Are we talking about the same thing or am I missing something?

8. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Wait, yeah, that part was wrong. One's on the top, one's underneath. Both are on the driver's side, I believe. Also, if anybody finds a DIY online with pictures, that'd be cool.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    My bad...........I was describing what is on my 04 and not the later models. The later models have replaced both the motor mount and the upper dogbone with the "can". You are right.

Sorry for the confusion. I blame it on the day of the week..........:D

10. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Same here. No worries.

11. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Agree, and I would add the TSW damper, it will definitely prolong the life of the OEM mount, and the preload is adjustable. So, you can make it more firm or less depending on what you like/need.