Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen iPod/iPhone oPtions?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Twistee, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Twistee

Twistee New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lefty is an '03 MCS with the stock stereo. I want to play audio from my iPhone 3gs thru my stereo. I have fiddled with several of the f.m. transmitter solutions, and even the best of these do not give the audio quality and consistent performance that I need. I realize that the best solutions will be ones that plug into an input on the back of the head unit.

When my car was new and I was hot on this idea I had a wheeled iPod.
    Ask your Dad what that is.
    At that time the MINI oem solution was in 'coming soon' status, and the few aftermarket kits I saw were from manufacturers I did not know. The benefit/hassle ratio was not good enough to hold my interest and I moved on.

Now I have an iPhone, and the extra abilities like nav and Pandora have me thinking again.

My goal would be to install a Pro Clip mount to hold my iPhone, and an interface harness that would do audio and charging. I do not want to use an fm modulator, I want to directly input the audio into the back of the stock head unit, as if it were a changer. Basically the same functionality that is an available factory option on a new MINI.

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience/advice.

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm in a similar boat that I was talking about with the outfit that did a stereo upgrade for me just last weekend

I currently have the ProClip and a IPod Touch and running a AUX cable from the AUX output on the car stereo to the headphone output of the iPod. Sound is pretty good. As I recall the R53 does not have a AUX output but I *believe* you could have one put in if your were competent with car electronics or have a competent shop do it. Shouldn't be too bad $ wise

Next step I am talking is having my car stereo shop fabricate a iPod docking port cable to the AUX input with a power input fabricated to feed from the cigarette lighter. This would give me a stronger input signal, not what is designed to feed a set of earbuds, as well as constant recharge on my iPod.

Not sure if this cable is available currently from other suppliers. The guy I talked to at the shop is the sales end of the house so I usually verify it real hard.

Ultimate Solution - (I doubt this is available for a 03' as I don't think the technology was even in production) is to run a direct fiber connection (I believe it is called MOST) from the back of the head unit. This would take a direct feed from a IPod docking port digitally into the head unit. Supposedly about a +20-30% quality boost. It controls the iPod through the head unit and the iPOD is basically a hard drive that holds your music. Downside is two fold 1) the MINI OEM one is kind of Kludgy I hear (does not operate all play lists, etc, etc) and 2) It cost about $500 and that does not include install.

3. scho09

scho09 New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    One thing to note about 3gs

As far as I know, at this point there is no product out there that allows you to charge the new Iphone 3gs directly from the HU. We had the 1st gen Iphone and it worked beautiful with the USB connection in our R56. We recently upgraded to the Iphone 3gs and, from what I understand, requires a lot more juice to charge. The USB cannot supply enough power to charge the 3gs.

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Check out the LiquidAUX from Kensington. Power from the cigarette lighter, minijack connection to your aux input, sound from the line out (not the headphone jack). Works great in my R53 plugged into the factory auxiliary input and cigarette lighter. Compatible with both ipod and iphone 3G/3GS, includes ground loop isolator to eliminate static and hiss.

See here, too: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/car-entertainment-nav/2081-need-recommendations.html

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks BThayer23!

You just saved me allot of trolling. This is what my car audio guy said he was going to fabricate for me. For allot more than this! Shyster

6. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I love mine, but I haven't seen anyone running the same setup. If you go through with it, post your reactions.

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    This seemed to get better reviews than the Kensington

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WKW6HS/ref=ox_ya_os_product]Amazon.com: Griffin AutoPilot for iPod: Electronics[/ame]

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  9. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I installed an aux input and one of those in my ex-girlfriend's XTerra. Works great when the cigarette lighter is sticking out of the dash. I'm not sure about the Griffin, but the Kensington has a built-in ground loop isolator, which helps with the hiss due to the head unit and cigarette lighter being grounded in different places. That's one of the big reasons I went with the Kensington. The controller it comes with is terrible, and it doesn't display song names, but the sound quality is great and build quality is solid.

10. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anybody try the oem iPod Interface Adaptor with a Scosche PassPort.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Twistee

Twistee New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Great input gang, gracias. I think I will try the Kensington LiqidAux solution. This means I need to first get the aux input gizmo installed, since my 03 was not so equipped.
    So how should I go about doin dat?

12. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    If you're handy with a wrench, you can pull the stereo and plug the factory aux input into the back. For the LiquidAUX, mount the input jack on the little door under the toggle switches. Then it's located right next to the cigarette lighter. The factory aux in is only $40, if I recall correctly.

Post here to request factory installation information: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/mini-stuff/2167-request-your-mini-factory-repair-manual-infomation-here.html