Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen iPod stuck "on" after disconnecting from y-cable?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by hexmonkey, Jun 29, 2010.

1. hexmonkey

hexmonkey New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed some weird behavior with my iPod over the past few months that I've had my R56. I use an old 30GB iPod Photo because my iPhone won't charge in my car. I usually just leave the iPod connected in the car, since I use my iPhone for music outside the car.

When I turn off my car, I click the volume knob to turn off the music. When I disconnect the iPod from the cable to carry inside with me, it will stay on the "home" screen until the battery dies - it never goes to sleep. I can get it to behave normally and eventually go to sleep mode by switching the hold switch back and forth.

I have recently discovered that this also happens if I leave the iPod in the car, plugged in - the battery will eventually die over the course of several days, because it's on all day while I'm at work, and all night after I get home.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like iPod issues. Have you tried updating to the latest version of the software for your model of iPod?

I'd wipe it clean and reload the software for it, then add the music back.

(In a previous life I worked for a contact support company who's biggest client was Apple. I started in iPod support, talk abiout a death march of job, btw, would you like to purchase AppleCare with that sir?)

3. hexmonkey

hexmonkey New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a really old iPod, I'm counting the days till it dies. I'm sure it's the newest version, since the last update was years ago. I will try the wipe/reload soon.

Otherwise maybe I can try my wife's newer iPod to see if that has the same issue...

4. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    or maybe just a reset, which fixed my problems. HOld the center button for 10 sec and then wait for the reboot.

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    There is also a "return to default settings" tab in the sync menu in ITunes, at least there is when I sync my IPod Touch

Might be worth a shot

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    New ones sometimes freeze too.

Reset the sucker via the buttons. Sometimes if it's locked, the computer doesn't recognize it when it's plugged in to the computer.

Matt

7. hexmonkey

hexmonkey New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So far, the menu+select reset hasn't helped. Trying a "restore to factory settings" via iTunes now.