Is Paul Strieby on these forums?

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by ImagoX, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I emailed him but I may have a bad or old address... Thanks!

-Matt

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,801 / 10 / -0
    He's here, but doesn't post much.

3. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Cool - thanks....

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Matt, I think he still goes by paulsminis. Check the member directory and send him a PM.

5. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yep - did so. Thanks very much,

6. LIL PIGG

LIL PIGG Club Coordinator

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I talked to him at MME and he said he doesn't check his email that often. Check out Minimal-Motoring for contact. Is there something you need that I may able to help out?

7. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    He ordered me parts to do a valve job on the classic that I never paid him for and I wanted to get the $ to him (and get started on the job).

I'm also toying with just pulling out the entire motor while the car's down for the valves and finally fixing the %$#@! oil leaks, do the clutch (before I'm forced to) and maybe even tidy the bay up and paint the motor. Anyone up for helping me hoist that sucker out? I keep hearing that it's not too hard to get the engine in and out, and I'd really like to just service ALL the gaskets and get rid of my leaks once and for all...

-M

8. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    It isn't that hard at all, if you have the right tools. I think you can pull it out in about 2 hours?

9. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    What special tools besides the hoist are required? I'm intimidated by the process as described in the Haynes Book of Lies, but that's not unusual... :cornut: I also have a ton of extra wiring that I can't figure out - I *think* its extra spaghetti from when the car was SPI (I believe it was converted back to carbs before it was re=VINned and shipped from the UK).

Anyone feel like coming over and getting greasy? Should be a learning experience, anyway, and I'm told I swear colorfully and entertainingly after the knuckle-blood begins to flow... :incazzato:

10. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure about all the extra stuff on your car. On mine, Remove the wires from the coil, disconnect the clutch, remove the exhaust manifold, remove the rad for more room, undo the mounts. I think it is as simple as that. Since yours has more items it may take longer. I don't think you need anything special tool wise. I have a few swivel head ratchets to make removing the exhaust easier but you can do it with normal wrenches. I use a pry bar to push the exhaust out of the way. I know some people will jack the car up to make it easier to work on and it is.

When are you planning on doing the deed? I have to work this saturday and I am busy Sunday morning.

11. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I'm still assembling parts so not for a few weeks. have questions out to 7Enterprises re: the gaskets I need (hopefully there's a full set). I'm assuming that Paul got a full set of head gaskets with the valve guides, so I'd just need everything BELOW that.

Also need to procure a hoist - I hear they can be rented, but I'm checking. Naturally, if anyone reading this has one, I'd rather pay rental fees to someone in the club (LMK).

Last, I'm checking on paint - if I do it, I'd want to fully clean the motor and paint it classic green. I'm also toying with the idea of a more efficient radiator and silicone hoses and a tropical fan - I run in the summer and the old gal gets HOT. Anyone have any suggestions? Minimally, I'd get a new set of basic rubber hoses (no idea how old my current ones are) and repaint the existing radiator, as it's a bit mungy.

K&N air filter finally ordered too.

I should start a thread specifically for this... I'll do it when I get closer.

12. LIL PIGG

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    what Radiator do you have in it now? Some say the two row super cool is the way to go. I had a 2 row super cool and now I have a 3 row. Not sure which is better. All I know is my 2 row had a ton of gunk on it. I have done a few things to cool mine down and it has seemed to help, 160 thermostat, clean radiator, tropical fan, electric fan, oil cooler, I am sure I am missing something. You can get your radiator re cored if you don't want to buy a new one. I will say the tropical fans works well but it is louder. Keep me updated if you need a hand. I am all about keeping these minis on the road.

13. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I assume it's the stock unit since I doubt the previous owner could've been bothered to upgrade. I do have an electric fan too, which helps. I did a radiator flush the year before last and the water was brown, but not TOO bad - used 50/50 mixture since then. It's mainly chipped-up and in need of a re-paint.