2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Is this a normal visit to the service department??

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MiniSQ, Oct 15, 2010.

1. MiniSQ

MiniSQ New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2009 S with 31,500 miles on it....and the vehicle service light came, so i called up the dealer and made an appt. I said the warming had been coming on for about a week or 2 and that now the brake indicator was on.

He said that was 2 separate lights...one for "vehicle inspection needed" and one for brake pads had reached there minimum.

So took it in and expected to have a full level one service, plus have my pads and rotors replaced.

I left with just the pads replaced and no level one service...they just did what they called and SS check...which i assume means they put a computer on the car and checked for problems.

I could get no answers really from Keeler Mini as to when they would be doing the next service or what it would be for...other than to say something about next june....i would need to come in to change the oil and cabin filter.

And when i started the car the service reminder was reset to 7000.

I just hate going to keeler mini for service...i always feel like they are just way too busy and i get rushed in and out with noone in the service dept really giving me any answers.

Now at 31k miles i feel the impending doom of being out of warantee soon, and will need rotors and a level one service that i feel should have been covered under the first 36k warantee...

its not so much the money of buying an extended, its the uncertainty of not knowing whats coming....

this feeling will definitely make it hard for me to buy another mini when its time to get rid of this one.

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You need to call the service manager, if he doesn't have time to talk to you, go to the GM....

Your warranty does not expire till 4yrs/50k miles.

Only your "free" maint is up at 36k...

3. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The SA told you that one light meant "vehicle inspection needed". But you somehow interpreted that to mean you would be getting a full level one service. How did you come to that conclusion/expectation?

Based on what you described, it was a normal service visit. Service indicator was on b/c you were due for an inspection, which they completed. Brake service indicator was on indicating you needed new pads/rotors, which were replaced. You were told your next service would be next June (I'm guessing the SA calculated the 7000 mile interval to put you in that timeframe based on how quickly you've gotten to your current mileage) at which time an oil change and air filter change will be due.

Your initial level one service should have been completed back around the 15-20k range.

Not sure why you are concerned about not getting rotors replaced before your maintenance period expires - you stated they just replaced them.

Too bad about the treatment you think you received. The actual work sounds like it was in order even if they did a poor job of treating you as a customer.

4. MiniSQ

MiniSQ New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i "assumed" level one because i could not find any info online that actually tells me when or what is ever being serviced on my car.

1. no level 1 service ever on my car...all i got at 18k was an oil change.
    2. no rotors were replaced, only pads.
    3. the car has been on the road since august of 09 and i have 31.5k miles on it...or approx 2500 per month....i wonder how that translates into June for 7000 miles.

5. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Somewhere in one of the owners manual books is a whole list of the services and what they involve, I believe.

6. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Ah, ok. As noted by another user, there is a list in one of the books that came with the MINI, that lists all the items covered. The first service visit at 18k should have included a check and top off of all fluids and replacement of filters if needed.

I see where you did say just pads replaced. I would guess that meant the rotors were still ok and didn't need replacement.

The 7k/June is just my guess as to what the SA was thinking. Maybe he or she is not good at math?

Unfortunately, as you are discovering, the maintenance program is not as beneficial as one would think for those of us who rack up the miles quickly. In my case, I've been learning how to handle maintenance stuff myself. Another alternative is to find a good, reputable independent MINI mechanic in your area to handle the maintenance needs.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0