2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Is this the direction I should be heading?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Austinsynthetics, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    #1 Austinsynthetics, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Here is my situation....

I have an 07 Cooper S, with about 65K on the engine. While driving down the freeway at about 70mph, it went into limp mode. I was able to "limp" LOL, to the shop next to ours and asked them to take a look at it. The code reader displayed intermittent failure of all cylinders, along with a multitude of others. With a compression test # 3 is "0" with 1,2 & 4 reading 180.

I recently have noticed intermittent periods of black smoke, with acceleration and intermittent pinging which I attributed to poor fuel.... though I always use the "big 4" brands of fuel. I've also had an increase in oil usage, but no bluish smoke noted. Also present was a hissing sound after shutting off the engine....which from what I've found is the valve cover gasket.

Could my problem just be the wonderful carbon build up causing this problem, and would it just shut me down after a period of time? What are the steps that I should take to minimize downtime, limit expense, but do it right?

My thought is to remove the head and see what's actually going on. And if I'm going to tear into the motor, I might as well add a little "umph" to her. The engine is stock, but I have removed the noisemaker and installed a Flowmaster muffler. I do live in California, so I'm not sure how radical I can go and still pass SMOG. Anyone here in California have a modded head/engine and has passed SMOG. If so, what was done to your head?

Thank you much,

Brett

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Ditch it and buy an R53.............:biggrin5:

3. Austinsynthetics

Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I have been....

thinking of that!!!!

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    + 1 R53 all day long. :Thumbsup:

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    There's a really nice 06 on Tarheel Minis forum, low mileage too.

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Ignore those troglodytes. You have a really good turbocharged car to reclaim.

Before you remove the head, pull the intake manifold and check for carbon build up. Carbon may be holding your #3 intake valve open causing your compression to fall to zero, you may be able to clean up your intake ports and valves and get full functionality back.

Dave

7. Austinsynthetics

Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping to hear tht! Thank you.

I have been looking for information on how to R & I the intake manifold, with torque specs, etc ... But have been unable to locate directions anywhere.

While I'm waiting for my Bentley Manual to arrive, does anyone have a link for the information....including pics if possible?

Thanks again

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Well if you cant get help at least you can get some love and respect. :biggrin5:

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I think it's very unlikely that carbon is holding the valve open, for one thing you'd hear the sound of a loose lifter clattering.

I think your first idea is the best, pull the head and see what's going on, then you'll know what to do to get it back on the road. I can almost bet you've had a timing chain problem.

You make no mention of it making noise before it went into limp mode, but black smoke and sudden oil usage along with 0 compression in one cylinder are not harbingers of good news.

Let us know what you find.

Are you an experienced mechanic? If not maybe you should let the shop do the job for you?

10. boosted_r56

boosted_r56 New Member

May 9, 2011
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #3 is the cylinder that I am pretty sure is known to fail on the R56.

I would pull the oil pan and the head. See if you chipped a piston or cracked one. Not uncommon.

R53 nut swingers are funny.

11. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Though I do agree that it's funny to see people's solution to someones problem simply being "Buy what I bought, because clearly I know better than you"... You have to admit that saying in the same response "Cylinder known to fail.... chipped or cracked piston.... not uncommon" doesn't bode well for the argument that our R56's are better :p Sound like pretty serious and detrimental "common" issues to me. As a matter of fact, you now have me worrying about my R56.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    You do realize that the whole "buy an R53" was tongue-in-cheek.........I don't think anyone here would seriously tell someone "I told you so" in regards to their car purchase. I am sorry if my comment caused anyone any problems, it was simply a poke at the whole R53 vs R56 debate.

I sincerely hope the engine problems are not as serious as some have suggested.

13. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    0 compression in 1 cylinder sure sounds like a problem for major concern, but I'm with you in hoping it's not, for the OP's sake. I don't have the money or patience or available downtime for major engine troubles right now, and wouldn't wish it on anyone!

And I'm sure most people are just joking about the whole R53/56 thing, but in my short time here, I've seen it so much, I wonder who seriously is making childish "mine is better than yours because it's mine and not yours" remarks and meaning them... lol

14. SacredDisorder

SacredDisorder Because Race Car?
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 28, 2012
    Iott Ranch & Orchard
    Petersburg, MI
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Hey Brett.

Off topic but did you get the PCV caps installed?

On topic, I think most cars that shell out a piston would not make it very far. Along with a multitude of screeching and chatter from a a piston slapping around. Hearing the hiss after the car has been shut down would make me hope for a faulty head gasket.

15. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    There is a R56 in the shop that threw the chain, bent every intake valve, very strange looking when every valve is open at the same time. Hit the tops of the pistons, looks like they should be ok though. Make sure all you 2nd gen people check your oil all the time.

16. Austinsynthetics

Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I do appreciate everyone's input, as it gives me some thoughts on the direction to go. Planning for the worst, hoping for the best! To follow up on the planning phase, what are some reasonable engine mods that retain engine longevity....... :fingerscrossed: Like that's worked so far!!!

Honestly, I would like to slightly increase the bore, and a cam is preferable. It must pass smog though.....ugh. How big, can I go??? :drool

I enjoy the debate of the R53 vs r56, it's almost like the Chevy vs Ford for me.....but I may get a second Mini later on, which would be a R53. :beer.

SacredDisorder. Yes, caps are installed, the bottom one was a bit of a pain. Lol. Thank you, and I appreciate your help!!!

17. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Allow me to help without getting into a R56 vs. R53 discussion.

You need to do a leak down test to see where the sealing failure is occurring within cylinder #3. Take that step first before you know what the true failure path is. You can play the guessing game all day long, but always diagnose before you prescribe.

18. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    This is what we decided with my wife's 09 MCS, not being mean or rude here, just being honest. Her car was going out of the factory warranty in June. We were either going to get an extended warranty, sorry, but there is no way I will own a 2nd gen car without one, or, sell hers and get a older 1st gen car. When we called our dealer, where we bought her car, we found out to extend the warranty was going to be $3700. :eek6: So......we took her car to CARMAX, got a quote of $17,000. We then proceeded to look for a 1st gen. And found an amazing 06 JCW convertible, aero kit, all Carbon fiber interior, ect. We bought this car for.....get this....$15,000 :biggrin5: I still had 7 days to sell her car, did so, and got $19,000 for it. So...we saved $7700 bucks and got a super nice, essentially bullet proof car to boot. Hope all goes well with whatever choice you make :Thumbsup:

19. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Well that was a good deal!:Thumbsup:

20. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Anyone who thinks Gen 1 cars don't or can't have expensive problems is fooling themselves.

While I share folk's concerns about the turbo motor (mine has right at 50K on it) I still think if you take normal care of it, change the oil properly and pay attention to any odd noises that show up, it can and will be every bit as reliable as the first gen cars - and maybe even better. Mine certainly has been, and I owned an '03 JCW which I liked very much.

One thing that will not change, at least till the next gen motors get here, is that the gen 1 motor was a lot smoother and sweeter running engine than the gen 2. But the gen 1 had it's faults too, poor torque at low RPMs (esp in summer with the A/C on) and compared to the turbo motor, terrible gas mileage, tensioner failures, crank damper failures.....the list goes on.

Trade for a gen 1 if you like it better, but doing it for reliability is false economy, IMHO.