Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Is upgrading the turbo overkill?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by alwzopn, Oct 26, 2010.

1. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    DISCLAIMER: The following may seem like an obvious question to you modding veterans out there, but I swear I'm not trolling.

My R56 is my daily driver, but I'd like to start taking it to the track once in awhile and also just generally bump up the performance a bit.

I do know my way around the garage and I've done repairs on cars I've owned, but performance modding is new to me. All my previous cars have had naturally-aspirated engines, too.

That having been said, I've been reading up on mods to add to my to-do list. At first I thought a turbo upgrade should be in the top 5, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's overkill, considering the internal engine mods that seem to go with it. Since it's my DD, reliability is higher priority to me than peak performance.

So what's your opinion, is there a long list of mods that should be done before even thinking about a turbo upgrade? How much of an increase in performance can be gained by just changing the intake, exhaust and tuning the ECU (like the dealer-installed JCW kit does)?

2. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    :blush2: :blush2:
    of course as soon as I post my question, I read something that pretty much sums up the answer:

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Exactly what I was going to write!

Udgrading the turbo doesn't do much good if it can't breathe, so those should be the areas you work on first - just like Way said....

These engines are strong little buggers, so unless you're aiming for really big HP, you should be fine with stock internals. Don't forget that with added speed you may need to uprate the shocks, brakes and tires too.

Finally, the biggest speed increases at the track usually come from driver improvements and upgrades, not HP. So unless you're a pro or someone with a ton of track experience, consider doing some HPDE's or sponsored track events first, then you'll be able to use the extra HP once you get it.

4. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ^+1. If you want to start tracking the car, I would suggest doing things in the following order. (Just my $.02, YMMV)

1) Do 2-3 DE's with the car completely stock
    2) Start upgrading the suspension (best to do only 1, maybe 2, mods between DE's). These are momentum cars, so the more speed you carry through the turns, the harder it will be for the big HP cars to catch you on the straights. Plus, it's fun as shite to give one the pass and then hunt him down for 2-3 laps and make him give it back to you .. or better yet, push him hard enough that he blows a turn.
    3) Upgrade tires/brakes
    4) Upgrade engine.

5. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What qualifies as 'really big HP'? This would be an eventual change, not necessarily all at once, though a turbo swap might help there...

I was hoping for an increase that would bring my MCS close to the HP of a factory JCW. Is that unlikely without making sacrifices for dependability?

Kind of reminds me of what someone said about the ultra-light bike fanatics when I was into bicycle racing back in college: "dropping ounces of weight off your bike by spending $1000 on titanium parts is less helpful than dropping pounds of weight by making fewer trips to McDonald's..."

6. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's a pretty compelling argument - that speed isn't exactly the only deciding factor on the track.

It already feels so planted on the road/highway, I hadn't thought much of it, but then the track is a different kettle of fish...

7. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Here's my 0.02...

0.) Safety - keep this in mind throughout all your upgrades. Not every car needs a full cage, seats, and 6 pt harnesses, but it's important to balance your tolerance of risk with the car's safety equipment. Invest in a helmet when you go to the track, maybe an R3 or HANS, a CG Lock or 4 point harnesses, etc.

1.) Tires - sticky street tires and lighter wheels improve everything: grip, acceleration, cornering, suspension rebound, road feel.
    2.) Brakes - Blow through a set of OEM pads while you're still under free maintenance to see how street pads work on the track.
    3.) Suspension - start with camber plates, springs, and a rear sway bar.
    4.) Engine - you'll know when you need more hp. Either you're catching people in the curves and losing them in the straights, or you have the urge to race high school kids at stoplights, you'll know.
    5.) Aero - when you can't push the car through the air any harder, make the air push back less.

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I agree:Thumbsup:
    Get what you have on a track, then decide what you REALLY need.

Mark

9. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I disagree, the turbo on the mini cooper to me is much too small.
    My friend Thumper MCS did indeed upgrade his turbo
    and the added punch on the highway is what the car really needed.
    Keep in mind i say this from the stand point of having a pretty messed with R53

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    We're talking R56 turbo's not R53 SC's

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    As your going to the track for HPDE's this is great advise

12. Bigprfed22

Bigprfed22 New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :arf: Play Grand Turismo!

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Every time I see one of those "behind the scenes" interviews with racers, they're all playing video games! Makes me wish for a racing seat to put in my living room.

And another alternative to track time is karting. It's a great way to keep your instincts sharp and learn how to pass in a racing scenario. And a lot of cities have indoor tracks, so you can do it all year round.

14. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Real tuning experts correct me if I'm wrong but one can attain and surpass the HP/Torque of a JCW with a MCS by adding CAI,Boost Tube Upgrade(turbo intake 'muffler' delete),better exhaust(JCW,Borla etc),and an ECU tune.:thumbsup. Just my 2ct.:Thumbsup:

Jason

15. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    If you want faster on a track I'm gonna echo BThayer23 here:

-Driver Mod: Adjust the nut behind the wheel first. This has done me the most good. ;)
    -Tires: Dumping the stock run-flats for even just nicer street tires will be day and night difference in performance.
    -Brakes: I just blew through my first set of stockers and getting a new set under maintenance agreement next week. I'm already planning on swapping out for some EBC Greens.
    -Suspension: I am still running stock. I haven't found the full potential so I don't see the need to change... Yet.
    -Engine: I'm installing an exhaust this weekend but it's just for the happy noise not performance.

I've been AutoX'in for 4 years and I hit the indoor Karting track regularly. It's fun and does make you a better driver.

16. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The one and easiest suspension upgrade I'd recommend is a larger, stiffer rear anti-roll bar. My cars both tended to pick up the inside front tire on slow corners and smoke it on the way out. A stiffer bar cures this with little compromise in the stock handling.

17. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Not that I'm a expert, just spend Wayyyyy too much time fartin around with this stuff

For pure HP/Torque I agree with your list if you added a Intercooler

Usual disclaimers for the nut behind the wheel and suspension

18. Bigprfed22

Bigprfed22 New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :ihih: It has been done many times *wink *wink*

19. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Thanks Man.:Thumbsup:

Jason

20. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Im aware, thats why i mentioned my friends R56, that he changed the turbo on his car Stating that i have a very fast R53 and he can nearly keep up with me is well impressive?
    Hope thats more clear. sorry for the mis understanding.