Most liked posts in thread: Is washing the car myself an eco no-no?

1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I've addressed this nonsense before. The figures they state for "average" at-home washes is absolute rubbish IMHO. I couldn't use that much water to wash 4 cars unless I tried. I really think the way they fabricate those numbers is to turn on a hose without a nozzle and let it run the whole time you're washing a giant SUV. Which might be the way they do it in the bikini car wash videos, but isn't the way any normal person washes their car.

I've measured how much water I use to wash my MINI. Typically it's under 20 gallons. When I try to conserve, I have methods that use less than 10 gallons. Either of which is less than the vast majority of commercial car wash facilities. Combine that with biodegradable soaps, and ideally with a driveway that slopes down to a grassy lawn (not to the storm sewer) and you're using dirty and extra water to water your lawn. Done.

2. MD-IN-UK

MD-IN-UK New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't agree more.

Furthermore, if your as nuts as I am about keeping your MINI as clean as possible as long as possible, try using the spray and wipe products that seem to be available almost everywhere these days between washes. It keeps the car looking good for a good while longer, thereby avoiding the at home wash frequency rate all together.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep - I use Quick Detailer (Prima Slick) when the car is just buggy or dusty, but has no "dirt" or mud stuck to it. I use Griot's Spray-on Carwash when it's a little too dirty to QD but still has no "caked on" mug or large-particle dirt. And I do a wet-wash when it's really dirty. When we have periods with no rain here to drive in, I can go for weeks between washes, and my car looks freshly washed.

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    If you have the option, wash your car in a spot that drains to your lawn, as opposed to a place that drains to curb inlets. The lawn will filter any chemicals (salts, soaps, hydrocarbons) and solids (dirt, brake dust, tar) that you wash off, and the water will infiltrate and recharge the groundwater. Biodegradable soaps, like Simple Green, are a great idea, too. 4' of sod and soil are enough to filter the volume of water produced by a typical car wash.

5. fullcollapse40

fullcollapse40 New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can use a rinseless wash like Optimum No Rinse and use less than 2 gallons to clean you MINI with virtually no runoff. As an added bonus you can do a wash in your garage with ONR.

6. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My average car wash uses about 8 gallons of water, I'd like to know what mud encrusted hummer needs 80+ gallons of water. On top of that a properly maintained vehicle finish (not one continually damaged by automated car washes) will last longer requiring fewer repaints. In my mind (and without any actual proof) maintaining your car's finish properly in your driveway is better for the environment than using automated car washes and needing a new paint job every five years or letting the vehicle finish wear away and allow corrosion to set in.
    On top of that a well maintained finish also results in better resale value so you're saving money on that front as well.

7. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Oh.

My.

Gorsh.

Carwash? Seriously? Paint me the most selfish, earth-hating fella there is, because there is no chance I'm taking my car to a carwash - EVER. Like forEVER ever.

Remind me to submit THAT column to Nathan - Roundel - April 2009.

- Marc

8. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Using my Nomad Pressure Washer, I can make an empty parking lot or a lawn a car washing station. Using bottle distilled water---2.5 gallon jug, and two more jugs in 3 gallon wash/rinse buckets.. I can get away with 7.5 gallons of water thats much safer and more effective than ONR. And I can just let the water sit on the paint and dry into the atmosphere since it's distilled. No water spots. No need to dirty up some towels that will then have to be washed and dried in a machine using more water and energy.

Richard

9. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

X2!!!!

Not to mention I wsh my car 3-4 times a week. The only time I don't is when I'm trying to conserve if there is a water conserving rule going on.

Mark

10. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Bravo. Your MINI loves you.

- Marc

11. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Tis a two way love affair..... :lol:

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #14 Nathan, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    Ah, the wonderful speed of the interwebz...

The article is now reprinted on M/A

For your reading pleasure....

The things I do to show my car I care make others wonder

Oh, and little teaser, the Oct 09 column is so darn good and timely that we are going to reprint that one come November.

13. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Please add the tag "absolute rubbish" to this thread, to honor the article at the top. Give me a *@#&$^ break.

14. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The eco impact of home car washes is a joke.
    What do these people think happens when it rains and all the crud from every car in the city rinses off and is washed down the storm drains?

15. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
  16. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The whole column isn't about car washing, but it's in there.

Reminds me of a great story a reader sent me. Long story short: He was in his E46 M3, waiting in line for what he thought was a "touchless" car wash, one that doesn't put your rims into some conveyor system. There were a lot of cars in line. When he realized there was a conveyor, he made everyone behind him back up into traffic so he could get out of line, thus saving his rims from damage. Apparently this caused a traffic jam on the main road, but his M3 sped away unscathed. Classic :lol:.

- Marc

17. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Now Rich, you know I respect your thoughts and ability BUT.... washing my car without the pressure from a pressure washer is like trying to empty the ocean with a spoon.

IF your car is basically clean, I'd say that would work.... but after a rainstorm, the crap I see that gets washed away would make a maggot gag.

I guess being in the bodyshop business, I'm overly attentive to paint and paint scratches but I think I can pee harder than an 18V washer.

Mark

18. silky

silky New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Car Beautiful. by Watts, Henry. ISBN: 0962057304. Publisher: Sunnyvale, CA: Loki Publishing Company, 1987.

19. fullcollapse40

fullcollapse40 New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you use ONR correctly there is nothing unsafe or unnaffective about it. If your drying towels were getting dirty you were not using it properly. ONR can also be diluted and used as a clay lube and QD which saves me money. anyone who is curious should check out this thread
    ONR: The Definitive Thread - Autopia.org