Is washing the car myself an eco no-no?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Nathan, Oct 12, 2009.

1. fullcollapse40

fullcollapse40 New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you use ONR correctly there is nothing unsafe or unnaffective about it. If your drying towels were getting dirty you were not using it properly. ONR can also be diluted and used as a clay lube and QD which saves me money. anyone who is curious should check out this thread
    ONR: The Definitive Thread - Autopia.org

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I have seen warnings at my MINI dealer of what car wash companies/locations to not go to. Why? cause the chemicals they use that are designed to loosen dirt in like 30 seconds are absolutely horrible to rubber and chrome.

And I'm doing more damage to the env with a little Mystique? I think not.

3. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Haha. I think it really depends on how you wash the paint. I too am in the body shop business, but we do it the next step higher than typical bodyshops. Our cars that have been painted don't leave with holograms, buffer swirls, or swirls, or glazes masking them. Course we aren't doing 5 cars a week either, our volume is much lower since we are focused mostly on building and restoring cars. My point is that..I too have a very keen eye to what causes scratches and what is acceptable and not.

My post was here as a consumer, not a professional. Pressure washers are great if you own one and have a standing supply of DI water. I doubt you could pee harder than 90psi, nor with a fan spray, lol.

Regardless....the Nomad isn't for every situation but it's great for people in water drought areas that have restrictions on water usage since you have a finite amount of water to begin with.

I've never seen pee like this! :D
    [​IMG]

But you're right, most of the cars I wash aren't heavily encrusted in mud as they've been maintained to a certain degree so the Nomad works great for me.

Richard

4. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've used the Nomad for a pretty dirty car, it won't blast all the dirt off but it gets most of it. The really muddy picture of my car that's the last picture in my garage, the Nomad was able to spray most of that off.

5. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    As everyone has pointed out the article is rubbish. If you use a pistol nozzle to only turn on the water flow when needed to rinse, you do not use much water to wash a Mini. I have to defend washing at home because Mini says my GP cannot go through a car wash.

6. i go to the automated chevron ones lol. only cuz im lazy..