2nd Gen JCW It seemed like a good idea but....

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Motormax, Jun 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Assumption is it's better. If you consider that the "S" scoop is more of a "design" feature with very little airflow through the scoop (not too many holes in the black plastic honeycomb piece). So the air enters in through the front MINI grill, into the radiator and then washes over the front of the engine. Some air is deflected down towards the ground with the help of vacuum created by the ground effect and those two funky flexible plastic strips that hang down in front of the wheels that are a part of the bumper lip. Some air is deflected up over the top of the engine. Both air flows are heated by the downpipe / turbo. The air over the top of the engine then hits the firewall and is suck down with the help of the vacuum under the body.
    Add that new design Challenge scoop that operates on the Bernoulli effect and undoubtedly you end up pulling some of the hot air completely outside of the bonnet where it can't do harm. If it's not trapped under the bonnet, there has to be some benefit..... Of course test result would come in to play to verify it..... But it should be a way to remove heat from under the bonnet....

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    rkw, that's an interesting picture of the hood. No under hood bracing, so that must be a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood?

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    #23 Johngo, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    Nice... That just seems like it would work better...

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any details about that car. I simply did a Google image search for "MINI Challenge scoop" and it came up.

5. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    You would think since the scoop is not there that they would just make it smooth and add another pair of vents. I would think it would be slipperier that way.

6. RoadRoar

RoadRoar New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 5, 2009
    Design and product development, also general busin
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    MiniFini open flow Scoop Grill replacement.

The first cars we put our replacement scoop grille on was my wife's 07'MCS and my JCW Clubman. Mine hadn't started to warp yet but hers had been replaced during development. Now after almost three years neither of them show any sign of warp developing. This is a very inexpensive way to solve this problem and we now offer it in powder-coated black over stainless steel for R-53
    thru 2012 R-55, 56 S models check out at Mini-Fini designer of Mini-Cooper accessories: Home

7. RoadRoar

RoadRoar New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 5, 2009
    Design and product development, also general busin
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0