Suspension Brakes 1st Gen JCW 56 Brembos on my R53 fell like Mush

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by minsane, Feb 22, 2011.

1. minsane

minsane New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Everyone:

I just installed the JCW R56 Brembos on my R53. Unfortunately the pedal feels like mush. The brakes have been bled several times and all the air bubbles should be out. I used ATE blue fluid in the lines. I know the problem is due to the huge calipers. Is there an easy fix for this mushy pedal feel? I read in a previous post where some had suggested going with the R56 brake master cylinder. Is this an option for the R53?

I really did not expect this with the new install.

Thank you!
    :confused5:

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like there is still air trapped inside somewhere. Let it sit overnight and try bleeding it again. Also how are you bleeding them?

3. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    MINI brake lines can be hell on getting all of the air out. I also think there's a bubble or 3 in there somewhere.

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Keep bleeding. Try tapping on the caliper with a rubber mallet as you bleed.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Is the caliper moving smoothly on the pins? If it's flexing it can give a mushy pedal, but I think you still have air in there somewhere.

Are you using 2 people to bleed or just opening the lines till you get clear fluid?

What bleed method are you using?

6. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The R56 JCW Brembos are 4-piston fixed calipers.

This is my favorite how-to on bleeding brakes: How to Bleed Brakes

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    By the description it sounds like air still in the system.

The article posted about bleeding is pretty good but, one thing overlooked in bleeding is that the threads on the bleeders can pull air back into the lines or caliper.
    Remove the caliper bleeder nipple, clean its threads, and then wrap a short length of Teflon tape around the threads to help seal it from air entry or fluid leakage during the process, then reinstall the nipple to the caliper.
    or:

Speed Bleeder are a one-person brake bleeder screw that bleeds fluid and air from your brake caliper. They have a check ball which allows fluid and air to be pushed out and than closes between pumps, preventing fluid and air from re-entering the caliper.

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I wonder if he's describing the problem accurately, since he seems to think the size of the caliper is causing the problem....

So, to me a mushy pedal is one that doesn't really get a lot better if you pump it, where a low pedal does get better if you pump it.

The first would inidcate air in the lines, the second would indicate not enough movement for one stroke of the master cyl, as when the pads get bumped back by warped discs and it takes two strokes to move them back out, or if the master cylinder is sized wrong and won't fill the cups with one stroke.

So which condition do you have?

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Too bad more vendors don't like to post in these kind of threads? More shops giving information based on there experience is always welcome?
    There are many Big Brake Kits on the market for the MINIs today then ever before. None that I know of come with a replacement master cylinder? I do not know of any of these BBKs having issues with the oem master cylinder? The R56 caliper by volume is smaller than some of those BBK available?
    Contrary to many who have flushed and or bleed MINIs it is not always as easy to accomplish even with a scan tool and pressure bleeder as one would think.
    I had a reluctant 04 after a BBK install that I finally opened all the bleeders and let it gravity bleed overnight and than used the pressure bleeder the following day to finalize the job.
    And others that I had to do several times to get both no air and a hard peddle.

The advise I see is if you have good brakes but spongy peddle than carefully drive to a shop and let them finish the bleeding procedure and don't take a chance on a questionable finish with regards to your brakes!

10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Well if I were you I would get rid of that ATE blue fluid. I see spongy pedals all the time with it, no matter if it is new or old that stuff does something to the seals and it's not good. I would recommend Motul.

As for bleeding, the old fashion way works best, no need to run the ABS, the valves when the car sit in a neutral place so you can bleed it without the pump running. Running the ABS and bleeding is just asking for air bubbles. Start at the furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way to it.

RR
    LR
    RF
    LF

11. minsane

minsane New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys:

Thanks for all of your replies. If I pump the brake the feel gets better. I just don't know when the brakes are going to grab. I push a little and the brakes start to work and then a long travel. If I pump again the brakes have a better feel then it goes back to unpredictable again. It feels pretty dangerous.

It seems to a consensus that there is still air in the lines. Others that have put on the new 4 pot Brembos on their R53 say the bit is better.

:confused5:

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I bleed my brakes on my mountain bikes and I hate it. Now I know why I don't bother with the car brakes

13. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Best thing I ever bought for doing the brakes is a Motive brake bleeder.... After that you most likely do have air trap in the system, my guess would be in one of the calipers. Make sure all lines are tight and know its a pain but you might try recompressing the caliper pistons and start over with a good bleed starting as said earlier RR,LR,RF finishing at the shortest line the left front. Make sure all bubbles are gone from each caliper before moving on, then check the peddle. It should be firm. Then start the car and see how they feel, drive it a bit and then do another short rebleed in sequence....2 cents

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I'm just going to throw something out here.....

Been reading about the ABS pump valves needing to be opened via the OBDII port to vacate any air out of the pump body. Good possibility even after you get the air out of the lines, the first time the ABS kicks in, you may feel your brakes go soft again. Air bubbles being pushed out of the ABS pump. This may require another bleeding.

I don't know if the Motive pressure bleeder would get around this issue? Others on the forum might know this?

15. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    It's somewhat of an internet myth. Unless the ABS is working, the valves are closed. It's very hard to get air in the ABS system unless you're replacing an ABS module. Even if you disconnected the hoses, the ABS valves would still be closed, and the fluid would not escape (unless you let the car sit for a long time). If you think about it, the ABS's action is to relieve pressure, just a little bit at a time and very quickly. If you push on the pedal and lock the brakes up, the ABS relieves pressure and allows the wheel to rotate again, and then it closes the valves. You have to keep pushing on the pedal to supply pressure, and the ABS relieves a little pressure over and over again and causes the brakes to pulse. So the default setting would be closed.

It's very hard to get air in the ABS module unless there are severe extenuating circumstances, and a machine bleed won't help 99.99% of the time. I've heard this confirmed by a couple different trusted mechanics, too.

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That's good to know....

This was one of the posts I came across....

Ryephile
    The Technophile

Gallery
    Clutch and brakes share the reservoir, but NEVER BLEED THE CLUTCH unless you replaced the slave cylinder.

Start with the longest line run from the reservoir to the calipers [left rear, then right rear, then left front, then right front]. Power or pressure bleeders sometimes work but 2 person pedal-pumping works best with the MINI because it's a weird car. If you have an OBDII scan tool that opens the ABS valves then you're super golden, otherwise don't be mad when you have to re-bleed the system two days later after you've actuated the ABS and found a boatload of air or old fluid in the system still.

My best advice is to NEVER allow the reservoir to get near the minimum marking line. In my experience, the Min marking on the MINI is actually "You've already sucked in a Hindenburg sized gulp of air and you're screwed for days cuz that's how long it'll take to get the air back out of the lines and ABS module".

17. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Ah, good point. I guess air in the ABS would be more likely to happen if you let the reservoir run dry.

18. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Also, good advice on bleeding the clutch. Don't touch it unless it's broke. And have a good mechanic (like Dan at Grassroots) do the job unless you have one of the nice special BMW tools to bleed it. Just went through that myself.

19. minsane

minsane New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for their responses. I have benefited immensely. It ended up being air in the front brakes. A good bleed fixed the problem.

:D

20. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Excellent to see you have a good hard pedal, a mushy brake pedal sucks and is not very confidence inspiring. Those Brembos are great looking behind the wheels.