Interior 2nd Gen JCW Alcantara steering wheel

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by david in germany, Feb 4, 2011.

1. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Picked up my New steering wheel today! Looking forward to installing it this weekend!! :Thumbsup:

Any tips from those that have done it? I know disconnect the battery prior to removing the original but do i really need to let the car sit for a half hour before removing the airbag?

2. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I've done two of them and have never let the car sit for 30 minutes before removing the air bag. My only advice would be to make sure you hook up all the connectors. The first time I missed the horn wire and had to remove it again to fix it. Otherwise, very easy once you get the airbag out. That's a bit tricky but a little persistence will reward you.

This is the best mod I've done to my car. I absolutely love my wheel.

3. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Nice pickup, don't forget to let us know your impressions of it and the install.

4. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
  5. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Installed! I think it took an entire 20 minutes.. Only hang up I had was the MFSW wires. It took me a minute or 2 to determine that the airbag retainer had to be removed from both wheels for the wires to be swapped from wheel to wheel. Once I did that it was a breeze! Mini even marks the wheel and the shaft so that you can line it up strait without an issue. Now I will put some miles on it and let you all know how I like it!
    :Thumbsup:

6. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to it.

7. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Pics and impressions?

I've always wanted one of these, but the cost and the fact my wife doesn't like it has kept me from doing it. Maybe she'd be OK with the leather version?

8. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I went with "Full Leather" version, no regrets- especially since it was the on line buy from returned MINI lease owner. Price, too hard to skip...

[​IMG]

I like the feel, but not thaaaaaaat much so I would "rave" about it like some guys on the forums... For me it's worth it just the price I paid for, and I would never pay the full price at the dealer for something like this.:cornut:

9. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It does feel good but not sure yet if it is really worth the upgrade from my stock wheel. I am in the middle of going either way of remove and sell or keep. Definitely does not fit the bill of "functional performance upgrade" as did all of my other mods.

10. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    What's keeping it from being a functional performance upgrade?

11. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Maybe not a "performance upgrade" but this is the wheel that the JCW should have come with. Not the plastic feeling thing that it actually did. I have a difficult time deciding which mod is my favorite - the JCW wheel or my Whalen shift knob. It's the tactile difference that makes it for me - absolutely wouldn't be caught driving a MINI without either.

12. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know this is a Noob question, But is the JCW wheel fatter then the stock MCS?

13. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    only slightly larger. When I get my car back from BMW I will measure for you.

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the JCW wheel is fatter than stock. Visually it looks about the same but the difference is obvious when you grip it. Some people think it also has a smaller diameter but they are the same.

MINI claims that the stock wheel is "genuine leather" but the material has been processed so much that it feels like plastic. The JCW has a softer, thicker and higher quality leather than stock, and it actually feels like leather. When I installed my all-leather JCW wheel, it made my interior smell like leather for a few days.

My R52 steering wheels, stock (left) and JCW (right)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the comparison!

16. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yep... On the gen 1 cars, it is thicker and same diameter. If you follow the link to the how-to, above, the first pic gives you a nice closeup where you can see the difference.

17. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Agreed - it is a very nasty piece of work considering it was an extra (over here at least).

But my theory is not that it's been processed but that BMW bought up all the redundant Mercedes cows that Mercedes used to use to make their leather seats - those old S Class seats would only get decently soft after a minimum of 200,000 miles of use in a Polish taxi. But Mercedes now use ordinary cows for their leather seats, so I'm guessing BMW got a real good deal on those cows and now they want to use them up on Mini steering wheels. Maybe if I took a trip down the scrappers and got the wheel out of a 10-year old Mini, it might be quite nice.

18. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I may pull this out tonight if I get the car back from BMW. Any one interested? $475+ shipping (my cost) it has been "used" less than a full day.. I will use the money for the repair on my oil line (other thread)

19. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I swapped out the silver (vinyl wrapped) MFSW controls today for the 2010 flat black versions. I like them a lot!

20. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Absolutily! :Thumbsup: