Exterior 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: JCW brake duct kit without Aero Kit?

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    r56turbo.....
    There's a thread over on NAM or maybe MU where someone did just what you're thinking. I think he took a Dremel and removed the two side areas to fit the brake ducts. It wasn't a perfect fit, but the OP was happy.

If you go to my thread here on M/A where I talk about switching out my stock bumper for the JCW Aero bumper, I purposely took pic's of both bumper covers so you can see the difference in the shape of the lower grill.

Chuck

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm pretty sure that Aaron at Outmotoring carries a kit that will work on your MINI. Might want to check it out.

3. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well carp, Chuck.... Didn't know that......
    Now you tell me. Coulda saved me some work. Oh well, it's too late for me now.:cryin:

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I just remembered. You know how good my memory is. How many times did we blast down the same road until Babs smacked me & told me where to go? :crazy:

It's never too late. Vent those rear brakes. :cornut:

5. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #6 Metalman, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
    Here you go r56turbo...
    Found my pic of both bumpers. The shape is different in the corners of the grills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WMW's picture is also upside down from the installed position if you'll notice. This might be making you think it'll fit, but it's different than the stock bumper opening. If you look closely at my pic's you'll notice what I'm talking about.

6. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have installed the brake ducts on my "S" bumper, I used this this thread from "tarheelmini" as a guide on my install.

JCW brake duct install on NON-Aero R56 bumper - Blogs - Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club

I differed slightly from the above, by cutting the frame of the JCW Grill out. And then attaching the JCW frame to the back of the S grille and "dremeling" out the opening.

Here is a pic of my MINI with the JCW ducts installed --
    [​IMG]

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Looks good! :Thumbsup:

8. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Metalman coming through again with the answers to my questions... :Thumbsup:

Bummer though, I see what you mean in the pictures. :( It's a subtle difference that I wouldn't have noticed without seeing them side-by-side.

During my Google research, I had seen the thread with the heroic dremel work, but he didn't seem to explain why he skipped replacing the grille and went with just the ducts...or if he did, I missed it.

Now I'm a little confused as to why WMW seems to be selling it as compatible, it says nothing about needing the Aero kit bumper:

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I think it might just be the wording in the ad. You see, the JCW aero kit can use a grill that doesn't have brake cooling ducts as well as a grill that does. So from WMW ad, it is compatible, but only with the JCW aero bumper. If Crashton is correct and Outmotoring has a kit for the stock bumper, I'd give Aaron a call. He can certainly set you straight.

Oh, and please post what you find out. I want to know if I wasted my time and effort switching bumpers.

However...... I do like the JCW look. :D

Hmmmmmm.......
    Now what was that about rear brake cooling Chuck?????

Edit;
    Went back and re-read the WMW's ad..... You should check with both Way and Aaron. One replacement grill will not fit both bumpers because the shape is different. Very strange.....

10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We've installed several of these JCW brake duct kits on NON JCW bumpers and they will work fine.

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Darn.... Wish I knew that before I went to all my trouble. I guess all it would have taken was a simple phone call to Way for clarification.:D

12. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is the only one I see on the site:

JCW Front Bumper Brake Air Duct kit*::*grills + aerodynamics*::*exterior*::*R56: 07+ Cooper 'S'*::*MINI Cooper Accessories : MINI Cooper Parts : OutMotoring

And it says specifically:

13. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. Maybe a difference between the JCW Aero kits themselves?... It almost looks as though the WMW kit would fit a stock bumper, but NOT your JCW with the updated aero kit... Profile looks all wrong. strange

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yep, That's what I got along with the JCW bumper. All the JCW parts; bumper, brake ducts, fog light pockets fit perfect along with the original bumper trim that went on the JCW bumper without any issues. I did try the grill and brake ducts on the original bumper. Not even close to fitting. The openings are totally different (you can see this in my photo's).
    Now that's not to say a completely new set of brake ducts and grill parts that specifically fit the non JCW Aero bumper could certainly have been made. But don't expect the same parts to be interchangeable between both bumpers. It's not going to happen.

15. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    There are (were?) two R56 JCW Aero Kits. At the following link, if you scroll down, you can see that there is a JCW AERODYNAMIC PACKAGE and a JCW AERODYNAMIC PACKAGE II.

RealOEM.com * Diagram Selection

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So the presumption is the brake duct grill from the first generation JCW bumper would fit the current stock bumper....... Interesting.

And the brake duct grill for the JCW bumper II is unique onto itself...... Definitely

17. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Confusing.....
    Maybe the surest direction is just to order the parts through Way. He said the parts fit. His pricers are competitive with the dealer. If you guess wrong and order from an unknown source, you may have problems with a return.

19. Bigprfed22

Bigprfed22 New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    buy real aftermarket ones, the factory ones are useless, they blow are in to the wheel well and not on to the caliper

20. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The only reason I was considering getting them through the dealer was the price of shipping. I pass Morristown Mini on my way to work.

I would ask Way if the part numbers are the same, but I've seen how he reacts to what he perceives as anyone undercutting him... :-/