Exterior 2nd Gen JCW brake duct kit without Aero Kit?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by alwzopn, Jan 23, 2011.

1. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The only reason I was considering getting them through the dealer was the price of shipping. I pass Morristown Mini on my way to work.

I would ask Way if the part numbers are the same, but I've seen how he reacts to what he perceives as anyone undercutting him... :-/

2. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The only aftermarket ones I've seen are the ones that take the place of the fog lights, and I don't want to do that. Are there any that don't do that?

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #23 Metalman, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Well as long as you understand that people have a business to run. There is the work and effort a businessman puts into something with the expectation of making a profit. I've never had a problem paying for that, but that's just me. And there is also the support that comes with that sale. There are tons of places that will take your money without the support.
    It's probably not a good idea to try and walk on both sides of that line.

For a while, Way was shipping with free freight. I don't know if that's expired.

I've not had a bad experience from Way personally, and others on this forum have used him quite a bit with positive comments. So I think he's one of the good guy's out there.

You probably should not expect to call up Way, ask him for the OEM part numbers so you can turn around an order from some internet sales source that doesn't have any overhead. That wouldn't be fair to Way in my book.

However, if you can figure it out on you own, there's is that.

Way and others support M/A with prize give aways through various competitions that Nathan manages to put together for M/A members. I'm personally a big supporter of buying from our M/A vendor base. :D

4. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is beginning to get a smidge off-topic...

In my line of work (IT/datacenter), asking questions before you buy is also considered support, it's called 'pre-sales support'.

I mentioned the "undercutting" response in the other thread because I think it was a little over the top in the context of the discussion. If I think you're going to shout at me for asking the wrong question, it's going to discourage me from asking you questions.

IMHO, if you want the sale, answering a can't-I-just-get-this-from-some-other-guy-cheaper question is an opportunity to compel the customer to buy from you instead of the other guy. I've never had a problem answering questions like that, but that's just me. :D

Where did an 'internet sales source that doesn't have any overhead' come into this? You directly quoted that I was considering getting the part from my dealer who's on my way to work...?

Do dealers not have overhead now? :confused:

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well I certainly don't want to go down the wrong road here. Oh, and I didn't go to the other site to read the issue. I try to stay away from there.......

Yeah internet sales do have overhead, but maybe at a different magnitude perhaps.... Nothing's free I guess.

Yep, it's good to ask questions.

Anyway back on track......

What I can definitely tell you from my experience....
    The stock OEM bumper grill opening on my 2009 S, and the JCW bumper I installed from Outmotoring, don't have the same openings. I was not aware that there was a Aero I and a Aero II JCW bumper. So you may be trailblazing new ground here.

Looking at the Realoem pics, they all look the same to me so it's hard to know what will and won't fit.

6. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    According to RealOEM, the actual bumper for the JCW Aero I and the JCW Aero II are the same. This is corroborated by pictures as well. The JCW Aero I/II grill, whether it has the ducts or not, is a different shape than the standard Cooper S bumper, like Metalman said. Take a look at the top, outermost edges of the grills in the following pictures. Notice how the Cooper S grill has just one radius/change of direction, beginning at the top edge of the grill. Then look at how both the JCW Aero kits (which use the same bumper) have two changes of direction. One a few inches before the outermost edge where is starts to drop down, and then a second change of direction that completes the downward turn.

Cooper S:
    [​IMG]

JCW Aero I:
    [​IMG]

JCW Aero II (Ducts and bigger "splitter" pieces):
    [​IMG]

Personally, I don't see how a kit made for the JCW Aero, whether Aero I or Aero II, is going to fit a Cooper S bumper. They just aren't the same.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong, here, or for someone to have a kit that works for the Cooper S bumper because I'd love to have it. I just want to see/hear more proof that such a kit exists. To me, it looks like the WMW grill is clearly the JCW Aero shape (except upside down :)) and won't fit the MCS grill opening.

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    What are the vertical flaps good for that are directly below the front splitter on both JCW and non-JCW front bumpers. They're certainly aren't very aerodynamic, I've always wondered what purpose they serve?

(Sorry for temporarily changing the subject)

8. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #28 david in germany, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    Believe it or not they do add to the aerodynamics of the car. Although not as ridged they do have a air dame effect and push some of the air away from the path of the tires. If my memory serves me correctly one of my friends had an 80's Camaro that had something similar underneath. Him being OCD didn't like the way it looked and removed it.. The car overheated and felt like it was floating whenever he drove it until he put it back on which leads me to believe even small changes have a drastic effect.
    here is the piece on the Camaro.
    [​IMG]

9. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    David that's good to know. I won't mess with it. It just seems very non-aerodynamic :rolleyes5:

10. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It is called technology my good friend. :Thumbsup: embrace it!!:lol:

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I've been follwoing this string with personal interest. I checked out the WMW site and it specifically says that it is a replacement grill that will fit on either a S or Justa R56 07'+ (think there is a R53 version)

12. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Right, and Way even says above that they have installed them on NON JCW bumpers. However, seeing that the grill openings look to be a different shape, I'd really like to see a picture of the kit installed on a "regular" bumper or maybe an explanation of why it works despite the different grill shape.

13. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I got an email today about this thread. I've read through the thread and now I'm wondering how we did it. I pulled a stock bumper today and tried to match the duct kit on it, and it was a NO go. So I'm very puzzled:confused5: now cause I know not all the cars we put it on had a JCW bumper. Now next time the 2 cars I'm thinking of come in I'm going to have to look at the bumpers. I'm kinda wondering if they were hyper sport cars? So I have verified that the kit is NOT a direct bolt on for the standard 08 MCS bumper. But otherwise I'm not sure what of the other bumpers it will not fit. I'm updating the site to reflect it. Strange thing is we've had several people order the kit and not one say they had a problem.

14. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Maybe those who've purchased them are not using them as vented front grills. Maybe lawn ornaments or modern art :D

15. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Interesting development, Way. Thanks for sharing, and definitely update us if you hear anything from the people who have bought it for use on non-JCW bumpers.

16. BlackWatch

BlackWatch New Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bought from Way, Sent it back

I bought the JCW front brake duct retrofit kit from Way and did not discover the fit problem until after I had taken three hours to remove the original front bumper cover and everything else, disassembled the grill, and opened the new parts packaging. After two hours of research and test fitting the parts in several arrangements, I put the OEM parts back together. I e-mailed Way about the issue. We ultimately agreed that the parts would not fit the stock non-JCW/aero grill and I sent the parts back for a refund.

Way has modified his web site to include the following language: "we have put everything you need together here to allow you to install it on a non-JCW MINI AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE JCW BUMPER. We cannot guarantee fitment on any other bumper than the JCW aero bumper."

For my next adventure, I am mounting the JCW gauges and trailer hitch on my 2009 S hatchback.

17. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    With so many variations and options on our cars it behooves the purchaser to contact the vendor before making a purchase when a part is not listed with exactly what it fits. As 99.99% of the vendors in no way want to sell you a product you can not use, they are usually more than happy to clarify! ;)

18. BlackWatch

BlackWatch New Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree and do check. They thought it would fit. My transaction occurred before the last postings by Way. There were no issues with the return except my having to pay shipping costs both ways for a big box. (Not a complaint.) I still buy from him.

19. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info BlackWatch!