1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If I see anyone put those eyelashes on this car, I will go postal.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ya'll are a bunch of naysayers....sheesh.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of all the decals. And I'd of liked to see it lose some more weight too. However, there is a lot of upside for this car when you look at from the point of view of how many of us mod brakes and suspension.

The GP comes out of the box with adjustable coilovers. Besides the Porsche GT-3 how many other cars are supplied out of the box from the factory with Coilovers? How about in the MINI price range, assuming a sub $40k sticker on the GP.

What about the tires the GP has? How many other cars in the price range have something so sticky right off the bat? Only the Lotus, which is a bit more expensive, is shod with as much as stick. MINI also saw the error of their 18" way with the 1st Gen GP and went back to a 17" wheel with the GP II. 17x7.5 to be exact.

Brakes are massive too, overkill 6pot calipers. Just wait till the aftermarket figures out which is the proper pad size for these. I think it's based from an off the shelf Brembo caliper. There ought to be some fun compounds available for track days.

Look at how hard core this MINI is off the bat. How many other companies are putting out vehicles like this in the sub $40k (assumed pricing) range. So while ya'll think you know best and are kicking MINI for sticking their neck out, I applaud them for trying to be different.

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ....I have this overwhelming urge to slap someone everytime I see those....:screwy:

4. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I just saw a Fiat with those on it..... talk about wanting to slap someone :incazzato:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Found a leaked copy of the GP Sales Brochure online...

Attached Files:

6. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    Its not that we are naysayers but lets look at a few things here...

1...the power numbers are the same...MINI used some long winded words to basically say its the same engine...

2...the brakes were lifted from a 135i M packaged BMW...you want to see what these brakes look like...go to your local bimmer dealer

3...you can tell they are following the same pattern when it comes to special editions...same aero kit you can find on any given JCW...and all those stickers? it seems like they have to add a bunch of things to make it look different from the rest of the crowd...take all those decals off the car and it looks like a slightly modded R56 JCW..

4...the interior isnt unique...it looks like they literally took the back seat out and put some delete/storage bin in there...its the same carpeting as the others...its not the CF rear the R53 had...adding red seat belts and a bunch of special stitching cant hide that...hell they didnt even change the guage faces from the standard JCW

so in summary...what we are looking at here is a standard JCW with all of the extra bits added and a modded suspension

betcha they price this thing north of 40 grand with dealer upcharges

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well thank God they finally dumped the run flats and added adjustable coil overs.

But only 218 HP is a joke.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Some interior images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    In a word....

Liability

They can't put in prep for race type belts without it passing the myriad of worldwide regulations.

10. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #30 Firebro17, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    WOW! I just got the first-hand visual on the new GP. It is frigg'n awesome!! While this picture certainly does no real justice to the beauty of this car, the metalic color scheme is perfect and the graphics are a perfect match. Sorry, but I guess I don't see the dislike for them... IMHO, they work well on the car.

Thanks Norm, for whatever it took to get that car to Laguna Seca. This car may have to be put on the top of my bucket list.

What a great time it was for everyone who made the event.

Attached Files:

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Notice how they list the Kumho V700 as a tire there, well...at least show a picture of it on the second page.

I can see the posts now about someone that buys one of these GP's and shocked, dare I even stunned, that MINI delivered a car to them with tires that only last 5000 miles at best. And furthermore, they get scared witless when they drive the car home from work one cold rainy night and it's like driving on ice.

I bet a new tire from the dealer is going to scary expensive too.

12. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    i would just take the tires and switch them and the wheels out

13. Pooper

Pooper Club Coordinator

Oct 15, 2009
    Retired
    Shasta, CA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    We will have the GPII in our Mini Cooper corral over the weekend at Laguna Seca. I should be able to get loads of photos, exterior only as they won't be giving access to the interior until the debut at the Paris Car Show later this month. I will post photos here on MA . Any special requests for shots or info? I'll do my best.

14. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hmm fine points spoken here. I can only assume this car will be marketed to people a MINI for the more enthusiastic driver. The exclusive nature of the car will probably attract many people who just like to have expensive things to brag about. Hopefully they take a test drive so they know what they're getting into. The 6-piston brake calipers are overkill but I bet they look really wicked in person.

It's still a very attractive package for the weekend track junkie or canyon carver. The only thing it needs is an ECU tune, bigger intercooler, new brake fluid & pads and it's ready to embarrass a lot of "superior" RWD cars, even on the straights.

I'd like to see what kind of camber plates they're using up front. -1.5 camber is fine and dandy, but I wonder if it can be dialed in to -2.0 or lower?

15. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Improved handling is always a good thing but I expected a more significant power upgrade.

16. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    does anybody know the pricing yet?

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Too much, too slow, and covered in butt ugly stickers.

Did anyone else see something about start/stop under Co2 Emissions..:incazzato:

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's an Euro spec brochure that was scanned at a dealer in the UAE. What all you see there may not be the same as we see here in the states.

19. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So it's going to be slower?

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    OK, I'll play dumb. It sounds like the car has the same HP, about the same torque, about the same curb weight and the performance numbers (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc) as the 2006 GP. I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't really been paying attention. But if I'm not wrong, then what got improved?