Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: JCW Sport Brakes ~ Best Bang for the Buck

1. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    my local dealer wants $2k installed for them. :lol: I agree, best bang for the buck out there, if you DIY the install (not hard) and get a fair price for them.

2. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    That was a good price for the JCW kit. I've also seen OEM R56 takeoffs go for as little as $200 and are essentially the same brakes. something for others to look at if they are considering this.

3. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    yeah, but they're used and don't include the same pads, front or rear. $700 is cheap for a brand new kit. I think I paid $900 (going rate from Morristown).

4. //MZero

//MZero New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not bad, but my Wilwoods are 13"x.95, and a 4 piston caliper, and massively thick brake pads. That kit was ~$1200...yes 500 more, but it is more braking power, and less weight. The aluminum hats and floating rotors save a lot of weight, as do the calipers.

For $700 I agree that the JCW kit is a pretty good deal, and enough braking for most. But I know there are others out there like me. Who, like me, kind find the limits of even the large kits.

5. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will JCW brakes fit under 15's? Normally I wouldn't care, but on a DD in the northeast, I need my winter rims. :D

6. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    some, yes. I had 15x7ET42 Volk TE37's and ran JCW brakes

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I run 15x7 Kosei on mine. Barely clears it, but it clears it. Just don't go off road and catch a rock between the rim and the caliper. Almost lost a wheel on the track doing that.

8. BLUCOOPR

BLUCOOPR New Member

May 21, 2009
    Retired Truck Driver
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have regular pads on my mini s and was thinking about upgrading. I changed the rear ones at 74K and have 87K miles on the front and they have never been changed on my 2005. Dealership tech said I was probably good for another 5K. Maybe I should just stick with the regular pads. Although I do not race or autocross this vehicle has been on VIR 2 times, Carolina Motorsports park race track once, top of Mt Evans 4 times, Pikes Peak 3 times, Mt Washington NH once. Dragon 9 times in the past 5 years. I think that I do drive agressive, but being a retired trucker, I do use engine to brake, ie downshift alot. Which drives my wife nuts cause I don't use the clutch most of the time.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    And I bet the clutch is in great shape as well, amazing the life one can obtain when being gentle on the equipment while still having fun. Maybe one day I'll learn how :D

10. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if the jcw brakes could fit under holies. Those are the 15's i have, but I'm going to guess no.

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    You would be correct.

12. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #13 mini_racer, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    So, do the JCW slotted/drilled rotors have any significant performance benefit over the smooth faced rotors? Sure they look pretty cool, but do they make a difference for autoX or track events?

Does anyone have any positive experiences with aftermarket rotor alternatives for the JCW BBK?

13. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    BUMP, Come on...... Someone has to know something!

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    No. Slotted/cross drilled rotors are bling, not only is it bling, it's potentially harmful bling. Drilled rotors are prone to cracking at high temps--probably won't make a difference at an autox, but on the track it's more of an issue.

As for slotted rotors, the slots scrub the pads, and MAY improve gas dispersal, but that's debatable. I've run both slotted and smooth rotors, and I personally prefer the smooth faced rotors--I don't like the "feel" of the slots when threshold braking. You could certainly make an argument for slotted rotors, but I personally don't like them.

15. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Consistent with some other reading, thanks.

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Slots make it easy to gauge wear at a glance when they are correctly machined to limit of rotor wear depth. I can't feel the difference between slotted and smooth rotors.

17. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Slots help in the rain. Drilled rotors, when done well (see: Porsche), make the rotors lighter. The JCW rotors aren't big enough where that makes a significant difference, though. But I agree with the previous post - I've never seen a race car with drilled rotors.

18. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Since we are talking First Gen JCW brakes, I will soon be looking for some track pads. I still have the OEM pads with plenty of meat.
    My street pads are Hawk ceramic, they are actually nice for the street given the low dust, but can make a noise or 2 every now and then.
    I have also used the Hawk ceramic on the track, and they were not the best. I actually think the OEM pads would be better for the track.

Anyway, I am looking for some track pads, and options included:
    - Just get new front and run the OEM on the rear
    - Get new front and rear that are track oriented.

I know brakes are somewhat subjective, so just please share what you are running on your JCW brakes for the track.

19. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Brakes are subjective, but in general, it's not a place to compromise. There is no such thing as a dual duty street/track pad; it amazes me people will spend all sorts of money gettting more HP and ignore the most important thing the car does--stop. Not pointing fingers at you, I was in the same category, learned it the hard way not to compromise on brakes.

So if you're going to the track, I'd put dedicated track pads on front and rear. You can leave the rear pads on for the entire season, then swap them out for street pads when you're track season is over--the rotors will hold up fine. Not so for the fronts; I would swap out for the track, then back to OEM when you're done. The JCW pads are not so hot for the track, ask me how I know...

I would recommend carbotech's for the 1st gen JCW brakes, I think Dustin at Autoxcooper has them. You can also get carbotech's for the rears, but there are other cheaper options for the rears that'll work just fine (rear rotors are cheap). I'm not sure of any other track pads for the JCW's other than carbotech's, maybe someone else can chime in. The carbotech's are pricey, but they work great, and they're very rotor friendly.

20. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input. I have realized that I need different pads on for track use, and so my post. I don't want to go back out there with what I have. However, the Hawk ceramics are still fine for street.