1st Gen Jersey Boy - Dying for my First MINI

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by sk7123, Aug 9, 2011.

1. sk7123

sk7123 New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All! I have made the decision to get a MINI...Thats what brings me here of course! Money is the issue right now...i have looked and looked and looked for information on the mini select financing option and cant seem to find any helpful info. I know there is the 'balloon payment' at the end of term...but how much is it? I want a cooper s so bad! So i was hoping that you all could maybe offer some insight on mini select? thanks a bunch :D

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A, thanks for joining.

I've looked into MINI Select and here is what I know.

The term is flexible unless in Maine, then you have to have to go for at least 48 months. Being that the term is flexible it will cause the balloon payment to also be flexible. Of course the amount financed has a lot to do with it. Meaning that making the same payment on a Cooper vs a JCW S will mean a much larger balloon at the end for the JCW S.

There are also some states where MINI Select is not available at all. I'm going to go out on a limb here and figure you are from New Jersey, where the plan is available.

MINI does not go into great detail about the plan on the MINI site. I would recommend that you spend some time with your local dealer on this. Pick out a MINI you like and run the numbers.

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Jersey in the house! Welcome to M/A! Where in Jersey?

4. jtbrown

jtbrown New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Western NJ
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    MINI Select runs pretty similar to a leasing deal... your monthly payments are at a reduced rate from an outright purchase. The main difference between a lease and MINI select is at the end game: with a lease, you're returning the car at term end with an option to purchase the vehicle by paying off the balance. With MINI select, you simply don't have the option to return it. You can either pay the entirity of the balloon payment at the end of term, or you can then enter financing to pay the balloon off over time.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but when I got mine (2010 MC) the difference between the three options was along the lines of $225/mo (Select), $250-60/mo (lease) or $300-25/mo (purchase financing)... I know the Select and lease numbers are pretty close, but I may be off a bit on the purchase cost. This was from Princeton MINI, in Mercer County, NJ.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard. :Thumbsup:

Jim

6. sk7123

sk7123 New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi and thank you....i am in the Morristown area. So i guess i should head over there for some of the details. Not ready to buy just yet...since i have to unload my crap 03 Element....but as soon i do ill be ready to go and i want to be sure i have all the info i need.

7. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    See Brian Blute at Morristown MINI, that's who I bought mine from in 06. Great guy!

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Welcome sk7123. :)

Be careful with balloon payment plans, they can bite you in the arse.

9. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Mr. Jim said it...My wife bought 3 cars from Brian Blute at Morristown.

10. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Brian sold me my current R52 and so far has managed to mishandle the paperwork by sending the title to the wrong bank, gave me the run-around for a week on the paperwork for my wheel/tire warranty refund and to top it off, my convertible top quit on me after a month and they're refusing to cover the repair.

My first Mini was sold to me by Dave Dobler (also at Morristown), who came across as more knowledgeable, didn't mishandle any of my paperwork and also gave my wife and me the attention we felt we deserved for being his customer.

Pick whomever you want, but be very careful if you decide on a used car.