Most liked posts in thread: John Coooper Teaches Steve McQueen How to Drive

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Rather interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

2. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    A couple of things caught my attention ...

1. Mike Cooper says the "S" in Cooper S stands for "special," but I recall that in some books on the Mini it is said that John Cooper never really said what the S stood for. I wonder if this is just the younger Cooper's guess or whether his dad actually told him this.

2. I didn't realize that John Cooper actually 'met' the new MINI and apparently approved of it:

"Dad passed away nine years ago, aged 77. He would have been so proud that his 'baby' was such an enduring success, and not in the least bit upset that Minis are now produced by BMW. He actually saw the BMW pre-prototype back in 1999, two years before the company started making them, and was thrilled with it."

Thanks for the link.

3. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Good article, thanks for sharing, RonsMinnie!

[​IMG]
    John Cooper unveils the new generation of Mini's to carry his illustrious name

Photo: John Cooper Garages UK

John Cooper

4. very good read. i learned a lot about the very car that sits in my garage.

john cooper ftw.
    we all wish you were still around to see what your creation has evolved into.

5. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Cool! Yeah, he looks pleased! :D

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Very cool. Interestingly, it reminded me of the bio of Enzo Ferrari that got recorded instead of something else on my DVR. One of the themes was that Enzo never actually wanted to build road cars. He was only interested in motor sports aspect and only conceded to road cars as a means to finance that endeavor by selling out to Fiat (who he had some previous history with, which was actually negative).

7. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    And thus the historical reason the current Clubman has more backseat room and a third access door.

8. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Contractor to the Government
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was lucky to have met and talked with John Cooper several times when our Air Force sent me on two different three year tours in the UK. At one event, John Cooper was our after dinner speaker. He was asked directly what the "S" stood for and his reply was something along the line of that it was often supposed that it stood for "Special" but that it stood for nothing. He said, "'Special' is something you would expect to find on a hair dressers car, not on a car with the Cooper name on it."

Paul

9. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Cool! Thanks for sharing. I will remember that quotation next time someone asks. :lol:

10. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: Good stuff, very informative.