2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Just got her back from the dealer - sometimes that extra warranty is goot!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by bravos1, Sep 21, 2012.

1. bravos1

bravos1 New Member

May 5, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    #1 bravos1, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    When I bought my 09 MCS (10 months ago certified used), I ended up getting the full blown extended warr since I was able to get another 1200 more on my trade in when we finished negotiatons. This covers all servicing and everything for 3 more years (like the original that comes with the car). I am now glad I did! :)

Brought the car in for regular service, plus it has a small oil leak which I noticed 3 days before the service. Car was in on Thurs afternoon (a week ago, not yest) to be done the next day (Friday)... well, I got her back yesterdal :crazy: Yup, she was there for a full week.

My SA kept me in the loop of everything happening, but when I read the service invoice, I just kept shaking my head..

1. Customer reports oil leak (on ground) check and advise.
    Resolution - Leaking at turbo lines. Verified leak at inlet and outlet. Due to excessive leak, inlet/outlet hoses of Aux water pump damaged. Peformed removeal of inlet and outlet lines from turbo. Removed Cat Converter, replaced lines. Replaced lines from Aux water pump. Refilled, bled and pressurized cooling system. No leak. Started car after repair, noticed exhaust leak.
    2. During inspection and repairs for oil leak, tech found exhaust leak at turbo. Check and report.
    Resolution - Turbo gasket from manifold torn. Leak comging from exhaust manifold to turbo. Removed cat converter (doh, 2nd time). Removed exhaust manifold. Removed turbo. Removed and replaced gaskets. Started car and exhaust leak resolved. Noticed at cold start, engine has excessive rattle noise
    3. After repairs, tech noticed at cold start, engine has excessive rattle noise - check and advise
    Resolution - Insufficient tension of timing chain. (for brevity, the timing chain and tensioner waere replaced and most know the amount of labor that goes into that and they then reprogrammed my ECU). Performed cold start, no rattle.
    ***During final checkout, CEL came on
    4. During final checkout, CEL came on, check and report
    Resolution - CEL thrown for O2 sensor electrical fault. O2 sensor removed and replaced. Performed long roadtest - car OK. Performed additional 10 miles of roadtesting (man, they really wanted to make sure :)), OK at this time.

All of this plus the routine maint stuff gave me a 7 page report to peruse at my pleasure...lol Really curious what the actual bill would have been :blush2:

But she's back now and running good!

BTW, they went through 1/4 tank of gas while only putting 17 miles on it...lol

2. bravos1

bravos1 New Member

May 5, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    On a separate note, I had a Countryman S as my loaner for the week. When I went back to pick up my MCS, I first talked to a sales guy to see how much it would be (trying to get my wife in one - but she's not too keen on the idea). I absolutely loved the countryman I had, and when he pulled up the specs, I saw why..lol I already knew it was pretty much loaded, but the MSPR w/ the options it had was almost 37K. It was damn nice though!! Very practical, yet still fairly sporty and nimble.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: My extended warranty save me thousands as there were definite teething problems with the 07-08 R56 N14's and most of the problems on Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) occurred during the 36-50kmi range.:Thumbsup:

Jason