Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Just starting to learn this thing...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Rocco8788, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Rocco8788

Rocco8788 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How do I find out if I have the JCW tune ofr not on my car. And what are the quick easy cost effective mods that actually make a difference on the supercharged s?

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If it is not a JCW and no one has payed to upgrade it along with injectors, it most likely does not have a JCW tune...

Reduction pulley on the supercharger is the best bang for the Buck power upgrade, then a custom dyno tune (RMW) and a bigger rear swaybar for handling.

Those should effectively addict you on Modding and the addiction itself will lead you from then on....LOL:p:D

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you call MINI USA, 1-866-ASK MINI (1-866-275-6464) with the last 7 characters of the VIN they can tell you all the options the car was delivered with. If it is a factory JCW then that will be listed.

Otherwise you would need to find a shop with a GT1 and have them read out the ECU.

Mods that make a difference:

Pulley
    CAI
    Cat Back Exhaust

4. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Nathan your saying that a catback exhaust and a CAI combined make more power and cost less than a Jan tune on an R53?

Won't deny that that would be the natural progression but from a cost effective stand point.... if you had x number of dollars to spend?

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Don't try to put words in my mouth.

What I'm saying is that for most people that are looking for a modest bump without having to deal with all the stuff one has to deal with when your tuner is 3000 miles away and your don't have ready access to a shop such as DT, WMW, Helix and others that the tried and true method on an R53 is the Holy Trinity of a pulley (15%), CAI and Cat Back.

Will it give you the most you can get, no. Is it tried and true for the vast majority of owners that are looking for a modest bump, yes.

6. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't putting words in your mouth just asking a straight up question and your opinion, which you gave. Thanks.

7. Rocco8788

Rocco8788 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Which CIA works the best. There are a ton out there. Is there a rel difference in the under pullies as long as your in the same size... (a 15% is a 15% is a 15%)?

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There are differences, and I suggest you reach out to the M/A Sponsors and find one you feel comfortable with working with. The differences in the pulleys are minor, there are a few that are garbage in the heap too.

As to CAI's, I'm admittedly biased. I like and use the Craven Speed one. Then again, I had their first generation one and as a result of some of my comments as an early adopter of the CAI there were changes made for the better.

I'm sure others will chime in as well...

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yea......15% is a 15% regardless of make.

As for the CAI.....they are all about the same except for the filter. Me, I won't run anything but a foam filter as I believe they provide the best LONG term performance as opposed to short term.

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I have the Alta CAI on my 08 R56 MCS/JCWm and am very pleased with it(on x 3yrs) as one doesn't have to buy new filters,just clean the old one. Alta however, has a tarnished reputation with some people so beware. :Thumbsup:

Jason

11. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    For an R53 bolt-on, the pulley is the cost effective in an economically frugal sense "mod". For a more open intake and cat-back exhaust bolt-on to make a difference objectively in regards to power outcomes, headwork is required, and then an aftermarket intake is only marginally effective, an aftermarket cat-back exhaust is only slightly more "somewhat" effective, and high rpm is required for it to matter. Subjective terms for objective outcomes is the best you can hope for. Aftermarket intakes and cat-back exhausts are all about sound; that's what you get for your money if yours is not broke.

The stock paper filter is the best medium for filtering air, which is what an air filter is supposed to do.

If you want to attach an esoteric value to an intake or exhaust to be a part of the mod culture, or you derive satisfaction from tinkering & making your mark (actually someone else's mark), those are as valid reasons as making more noise; different value systems than dollar per power gain outcome.

The R53 has relatively slow accelerator response on the street. Many choose the bolt-on route in an attempt at quickening response from pedal to engine. The most cost effective mod for this lag characteristic is the Sprint Booster. However true additional money can get you a tune that targets this area plus others, it still beats a tune for money spent and its low invasive nature.

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: A very good way of learning your way around a MINI is:
    1. Go to the forums here on site
    2. Look up your MINI ie Gen 1 R50/52/53 or Gen 2 R55/56/57..............
    3. The forums have threads for the Pros to tell you about their products
    4. The forums have threads to look up drive train/suspension/wheels............
    5. Please go and do some reading to get enough knowledge such that you'll be able to ask the questions(Please understand that I'm NOT talking down to you, all of us had to do this to get into the swing of things and know what people were talking about.:Thumbsup:

and Welcome! Welcome! You are now officially one of us(you poor devil:lol:)

Jason