1st Gen R50 Cooper Justacoopah cam.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by goaljnky, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Most cams are not pressurized (boosted)engine specific. That is to say that we do not go around on boost all of the time. On average your daily driven MINI may utilize upper boost levels 25% or less of your total driving time. So to have a cam that is specifically designed for boosted levels would in most cases lower the performance reliability and economy levels of the engine. For the track only engines there are advantages to a "supercharged" specific cam. However at present those specifictrack cams are not being manufactured because of the other valve train parts that will be required for their usage.
    So if you have a Cooper any of the current cams available for the MCS will work fine. Naturally *I recommend the CROWER NS cams. :lol:

*contact MA approved vendors for information on camshaft recommendation.

2. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Well there is 5 pages ... cool!! I hope it helped you "Justa" guys decide...

The NS cams are showing great performance results with or WITH OUT a Ported Head. There is a power increase with just the NS1 camshaft... The Mod can be done by yourself over a weekend. IF you are not the one to powershift or bang the transmission, it will hold the add'l power well!! Racers.. they you know what you have to do..

SOOooo... check this out if you are interested in getting started.. cool??

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/engine-drivetrain/2557-head-camshaft-combos-r50-r53s.html

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/engine-drivetrain/2555-power-mod-r50-justacooper-here.html

Power to the Coopa!!

Just me.........................................

Thumper

3. nickbmw

nickbmw New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feel i have to say a few things about the NS1, having tested it on my R50 for a few weeks.

First is, it's not compatible with the stock R50 map. I have an Innovate LC1 with gauge installed, and the engine is running dangerously lean from 6000rpm and up. With the stock cam (and map ofcourse), the A/F ratio was about 12 from 4k to 6k rpm, then climb to about 12.4-12.5 from 6k and up tp the rev limit. With the NS1 and stock map, the A/F ratios went to about 12.5 from 4k to 6k rpm, and from 6k rpm and up to the rev limit, it's climbing to a scary 13.7-13.8:1. Run it for a few laps with this A/F ratio and it's going bang.

Second is, it is not exactly valvetrain friendly as advertised. With the stock cam, i would never hear the lifters making noice at cold starts. This happened all the time with the NS1.

And a few facts. There is no gain actually, like mentioned above. I have a few logs, as i did some performace tests with the stock cam and with the NS1 cam. The test is 40-160kmh, and the NS1 managed to equal the best run with the stock cam at 21.0 seconds. This obviously is not a 10hp gain, to be honest, i have tried many cams on the R50, and i know very well that there is no cam that will gain 10hp that easy.

The good things. The NS1 doesn't sacrifice any of the low and mid range, and pulls fine up to the rev limit. The fact that it runs lean from 6k rpm and up, shows that it pushes more air in, but you have to feed the engine with more fuel also! Right now, i am running a Piper cam, and it's not lean anywhere in the rev range. This doesn't mean that the Piper is a better cam though. It means it's a milder profile. With the Piper, i see a 12.8 A/F ratio just before the rev limiter, so it's realitively safe to use it without an ECU remap. As the Piper cam was fitted just today, i didn't do any performance tests yet, but they will follow soon.

Cheers,
    Nick

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Wow...

5. nickbmw

nickbmw New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't be surprised :)

I believe there is no R50 cam that will make power straight away.

The NS1 is a good profile, but it needs a remap. Also, it would possibly need larger injectors, as the stock are maxing out very easily, you see they are just 178cc@3 bar (but the fpr is 3.5 bar so that makes just above 190cc). I don't know if the stock injectors are enough to correct a 13.8 : 1 ratio to a 12.5-12.8, even if they are, they'll be close to their limits :) It's sth i don't care about, as i already have a set of larger injectors.