1st Gen "How To" Gen1 Justacooper Exhaust System Reference

phplN6S1D.jpg
I am a proud first generation Cooper (non-S) owner and I’ve spent a lot of time and energy looking for a replacement exhaust system I could be...
By Steve · Feb 3, 2018 ·
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Greetings!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my Justacooper exhaust system reference and I've posted it as a Library article work in progress (under construction). You can't comment on or directly discuss articles within the Library, so please use this thread.

There are lots of holes; please help out with any information you can provide, corrections, updated information, etc. If you own (or have owned) an aftermarket non-S exhaust, post a review here!

Here's a link to the article.

cheers - steve

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    #2 lotsie, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    Steve, great article!!!

I have a 03 Cooper, and with over 100k miles, the OEM exhaust was toast, the hangers had rusted off the muffler, so I had it wired up for a couple of months with clothes hangers:rolleyes:

I ended up getting a Megan, mostly because I was impressed with the fact they asked us, Cooper owners, what we wanted in an exhaust system, and the price, way less than any other:Thumbsup:

The install of the new system was very easy, the un-install of the stock system, not so easy. rusty bolts being the issue:mad2: and I even had most of the system off a few years ago to install a short shifter.

I would recommend to anyone going install any new exhaust to spray all the bolts the day before, with rust remover, WD40, and keep spraying it on every few hours.

I ended up snapping 2 of the 6 bolts off on the mid-hanger, but rather than trying to extract them, and re-tap the holes, I just put 2 self-taping machine screws in right next to them.

I've had the Megan on now for a couple of months, it looks great, I "feel" a bit better performance, it's a good match with the Way/DDM intake, and the sound puts a smile on my face every time I fire Poco up:D It does increase cabin noise, but I don't mind that, and I love the burble when backing off the throttle:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark

3. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    So, given the rust and all the trouble you had removing the stocker, the sooner you move on to an aftermarket system, the better, right? :lol:

The Megan looks very well made. Even the tip looks to be made of a heavy gauge. How is the fit? Simple to install, align, etc?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I mention in the article that I tried a few exhausts; here's the list:

Stocker (stuck with it for about six months)
    Helix
    Rogue
    Stebro
    RSpeed
    Larini
    ALTA (R53 exhaust altered to fit my R50)

I like the ALTA...keeping it for now. Still have the Larini in case I decide I want to switch back. Sold the Helix, the Rogue and the RSpeed. Threw the Stebro in the metals bin at my local landfill.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Yes, move on very soon:lol:

The Megan has slotted bolt holes, for both connection points, so you can put it all together, than go back and tighten everything. So the install is very easy. It is well made, and I figure I can clean that tip for many years, and never wear it thin:arf:

Mark

6. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I have a magnaflow (the one piece version)
    i like the fit and finish, very simple to install
    i do get some highway drone but it doesn't bug me too much as most of my miles are off-highway (worst is ~70mph at coast with the throttle closed) if i am at 10% throttle it is much less
    i don't have an exact number but it weighed a hell of a lot less than stock
    tip is kinda big at 4"
    but sounds cool and gives a great crackle bang if you snap the throttle closed at 3k rpm in 1st LOL
    no idea on power as i haven't dyno mine but a similar car got some more hp and torque (mostly up high but still a couple down low)

videos:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11mD9vTgZts"]YouTube - Cooper non-S Magnaflow[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVmFllQozI"]YouTube - Cooper non-S Magnaflow[/ame]

pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lemme me know if you have questions or want more pics or more detail i am kinda tired tonight :-/
    those pics are very old i know have newer ones somewhere around
    and magnaflow parts can be found for well under msrp <- helped throw me in the direction

hope that helps your guide some!

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I have a Miltek on my '05 MCc. Installed Probably around March of 05. So four years old. 46,000 miles on the car right now. The resonator was rattling about 4-5 months into the ownership, but was replaced under warranty. No problems since.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys -- good stuff. I've been a bit negligent but I have added some words to the article on my own experience with the Larini system and I'll do some more updates with bits and pieces from your inputs later today.

goaljnky - Did you have to order a specific model to fit the 'vert? I've heard rumors there are differences that force slight redesigns to fit R52s but I've not had them confirmed.

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I can say with all honesty that I was the very first MCc with an aftermarket exhaust. Ryan, who was at Detroit tuned at the time and who I got the Miltek from, compared the part numbers for the OEM exhausts on R50 and R52 and they were the same. So we went ahead with the order. Of course when the installation took place the exaust was rattling on the convertibles rear bracing. That was taken care of with a couple of washers on each bolt and some longer bolts and have been trouble free ever since.

(Side story. I found the rear bracing bolts in my bag in the trunk couple of weeks ago. It took me about a week to remember what they were for. I spend that time trying to figure out what it was that I have taken apart and did not put together properly. :mad2:)

I had some pics of the install on NAM somewhere, but that was before GOALJNKY got banned. Not sure if the gallery is still there. Maybe on of the admins who is still there can check.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Good to know.

Nice try, but I checked and they're not there anymore. The pics are gone and your video links don't work.

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I can't even remember where the videos were linked to. Could have been my server at home, which would mean the videos are long gone to the binary heaven in the sky.

12. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
  13. R50 Paul

R50 Paul New Member

May 5, 2009
    Covina, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I too have the Milteck and it was great until the resonator took a dump. The place I got it from is no longer in business, so I guess I'm SOL.

I've been looking for a replacement, but am waiting until MiniMania "finds" some more of there R50 exhausts like they do every year.

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Paul, have you tried calling Stratmosphere? I think they are the distributor for Miltek and might be able to help you out.

15. R50 Paul

R50 Paul New Member

May 5, 2009
    Covina, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I did, and I would have to ship the ENTIRE exhaust back to them at my own expense. They are also not sure if my part could be fixed due to the fact that the system is no longer produced. So I said screw it and have a plan to hack the resonator out and see what happens from there.

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I can tell you now. If you hack it out you will be about 18 inches short. :D

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    He's a real jolly joker isn't he?

Yeah you're obviously going to replace the resonator with something and I'm guessing you're planning to use a piece of straight pipe. I did that with one exhaust and it worked pretty well but I wished I'd stuck a new resonator or cylindrical muffler in there instead. My Larini came with no resonator and there was too much drone/resonance in the cabin so I cut out a section of pipe in the right spot and added a 6" round cylindrical Magnaflow muffler. It fit perfectly and fixed the resonance problem.

Take some measurements while yours is on the car and I think you'll find that if you make your cuts carefully (for example, remember to allow room for slip fit joints) you can get something that will fit in there to replace it. I usually go to Summit Racing for stuff like that but there are plenty of other good sources of course.

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    There's a new JustaCooper exhaust article in the Library. Well, "new" to Motoring File, but it was written a few years ago by Richard (Octaneguy).

How To: Gen1 Cooper Exhaust Install (Remus)

If you're not considering the Remus you still might want to take a look. After all, though it's obviously about installing a specific system -- and Richard has his own way of doing things (don't we all?) -- there are plenty of informational tidbits in there for anyone unfamiliar with the Cooper exhaust and thinking about doing a swap.

Enjoy!

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    So lets expand this a little. What about a header for a Justa? How about a cheapy OBX? Would that be asking for trouble? I am sure this has been beaten to death on NAM.

20. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I would +1 the Remus. A guy in our local club had one a few years ago and it was the best sounding Mini I ever heard.