Kill it. Kill it with FIRE!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rawhyde, Sep 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Over the weekend, I have been working hard in my shop on a massive cleaning and organizing job. My neighbor was helping me, and as we were finishing up late last night; we decided to put a box of lawnmower parts in an old chair on my carport.

That's when the REAL fun started. When I flopped down the box of parts, I managed to piss off about 10 million yellow jackets who had built a nest in the innards of the chair. I got nabbed once, and my neighbor got stung three times. Naturally, the shop was open and the lights were on, so they sent a reinforced brigade in there to deter human occupation. We decided to shut down operations for the night.

This morning, I went to the hardware store and came back with a bunch of aerosol concoctions that were designed for the task. I can tell ya, that whoever thinks that can sprays 22 feet is either a supreme optimist or a bald faced liar. I can pee further than that stuff can spray.

I used two cans of spray and two foggers that we slid into place with a 10 foot stick of conduit. I then put the hose into the chair and turned on a gentle stream for about 2 hours. There was still lots of activity, but my neighbor insisted on snatching that chair off the carport and into the yard. This action did nothing good for their poor disposition. I got stung again. This was starting to suck.

Lebron was now wondering what to do next. I had wanted to leave the hose in place for a day or two and drown them, but that option was now moot. I told him that we were gonna kill it with fire.

I tossed on about a pint of Coleman fuel and followed it up with a beautiful toss of a wooden match! (See action photo below.)

I gave it a few more booster shots of Coleman fuel and kerosene. We pushed the chair over with the conduit when it became safe to do so and let it cook inverted for a while longer. Eventually, it wound down and I extinguished it with a hose. Take a peek at the mayhem inside.

This is the same chair I must have jostled a dozen times when I was lifting my MINI on the carport in my MINI Accessory thread. When I had it up in the air, I went under there with a creeper, scrub brush and a hose and washed the undercarriage. It's a miracle they didn't attack then.

Remember this folks, yellow jackets usually nest in a hole in the ground, but sometimes, they establish a nest in an unlikely place above ground. Be careful. A swarm of those things can put you in real danger. I have recently had some episodes of anaphylactic shock, so I kept my Epi-Pen handy.

Rawhyde

74-Kill-It-1-webpic.jpg

80-Kill-It-2-webpic.jpg

81-Kill-It-3-webpic.jpg

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    This is frigg'n hilarious! I've never had ta fry these pests, but I'm gonna remember this if I ever do.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Not. Hilarious. OMG.

I want to run screaming down the street, now at 4:30 in the AM, just reading this. Serious heebie jeebies. One of my most despised creatures on Earth... but I did develop really good instincts and reflexes as a child, growing up on a farm and in the woods.... knowing "the sound" when you step on something you wish you didn't... stop, don't want to think about it any more....

Do like the flaming chair pic, though. :Thumbsup:

4. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got it taken care of but I don't like those creatures either

5. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Looks like they had been in there for awhile!!! Nice Flaming Chair pic..

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,661 / 2 / -0
    Glad you took care of those vile critters. If anyone has to deal with a nest of these baddies wait until just after sundown. They will all be in the hive, then let them have it.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Think an RPG is too much?

8. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Too much is usually just right!

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That's great! If your going to do it do it right! :Thumbsup:

10. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Anything worth doing is worth over doing!!

11. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I had a neighbor years ago who hit a nest by mistake with a weed eater once (he was changing the string and popped a nest). He got stung 20-30 times before he could sprint across the yard and dive fully clothed into the pool.

I'm trying to imagine any other way to take care of these suckers in a chair like that. I'm thinking a giant tarp to bag it up (maybe one of those big christmas tree bags), but that would require a lot more close contact than I would like... Your solution had the added benefit of fire, which makes anything very cool. :D

12. silky

silky New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Not too much, but I would think not a good idea to explode and spread the little critters over a wide area. Think contain and destroy. Flamethrower, etc.

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    We had a big nest at the annual British Car Day I attended In Dayton, OH, this August. Fortunately, it was discovered quickly, but not until after a few people were dive bombed. A big sign was hurriedly put up showing where NOT to walk or stand, and that was good, because it would have been EXACTLY where each Class winner would pull for each photo shot! Can you even imagine the ensuing mayhem?

14. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Nice roast, but that fire was not near big enough! :frown2: :frown5: :Thumbsup:

15. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    #15 Apok, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Perhaps they were told something was longer and that was their basis for measurement? If ya know what I mean?

But I agree, 90% of those cans don't go past 10' at beast. Glad you got rid of the little buggers. Though I would have used far more flammable material. But then again I am a bit of a pyro.

16. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #16 agranger, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    I'd say it was just about right!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEcgSgVFzoA"]Yellow jacket extermination - YouTube[/ame]

17. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
  18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  19. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Need more flammable!

Flash burn those suckers with a can of carb&choke... Use the little red hose! :D

20. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    About to go BBQ some Yellow Jackets myself now... Little bastards are making a nest under my porch step! (Dont worry its concrete...)