1st Gen R53 Cooper S Koni Coilovers who has them speak up please :)

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by GreekDrifter91, May 18, 2013.

1. GreekDrifter91

GreekDrifter91 New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    are the koni coilovers good, better than yellows and good springs? better than megans? anything better for the same price? for 1300 i would hope so but i want to hear what people have to say.

i think these might be for me but i want to do more research on them.

MINI Cooper KONI Coilover Kit
    [​IMG]

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #2 Dave.0, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
    Do not buy them. I had them and they suck! That is my short review. Longer review below. Don't get me wrong Koni makes great shocks but the coil overs are crap.

Save your money and get a custom valved set of KW V2's from WMW.
    KW Variant 2 Coilovers R50,52,53 - Way Motor Works

With the Koni C/O I had to replace the rear Springs twice because of coil binding. Dealing with Koni cust service is a nightmare and replacement parts and service for these Koni coil overs is not available in North America.

Koni will service Koni "shocks" in the US but not this Koni "coil over" set up.
    I am not kidding I had this argument with them several times and even had 2 separate Koni authorized dealers try and get them serviced and everyone said they had to go back to Europe. WTF!

The fronts were a pain in the a$$ to adjust when installed with camber plates. The rears you need to remove to adjust, but the like most C/O's.
    The ride was not that good either and I could not replace the springs (Swifts) with aftermarket because of Konis unique design. If you look at the pictures you posted above you will see you are missing something compared to real coil overs. (Top plates for the springs) Those and cheaper C/O reuse the OEM tops hats. Take a look at the KW, Billsteins, and other more expensive full coil overs and you see what the extra cost gets you. Good coil overs are made with higher quality standards, parts you also get a full suspension and you don't have to reuse OEM parts.

In about two years after dealing with #'s of problems I dumped them and got the KW V2's for Way. I have been happy with them from day one and they were easy to set up.

Only recently did I replace all 4 springs with custom Swift Springs because I wanted a more aggressive and firmer set up.

I still have the KW V2 springs in boxes and they look great after 3+ years of harsh NE winters.

If money is no option get a set of JRZ's and they will set you back like 5 G's installed.

3. GreekDrifter91

GreekDrifter91 New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks good to know! im glad i asked. but for 300 more might as well get the V3 setup more stuff to play with lol.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Or more stuff to set wrong if you don't have a trained tech that knows how to corner balance the car for what you think you want.

Baby steps are better and no one really needs the V3 for a street set up that's for more of a track car. Also for the price of the V3 you can get a better set up. That's why the V2 falls right in he middle for street car with some auto -x and a few track days.