Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Koni FSD seizing in knuckle?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by aaronosaurus, Jan 26, 2013.

1. aaronosaurus

aaronosaurus New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We're in the process of swapping the stock struts for the Koni FSDs on an R53. Unfortunately the install process is not going as smoothly as everyone else. It seems like the strut is binding in the knuckle when we try to reinstall everything. I've tried greasing the bottom of the strut and hammering on just about anything(while using a jack to apply enough pressure to the control arm to _almost_ lift the car off the jack stand).

I've double checked part numbers and everything(I've made that mistake on other cars :eek: ). Anyone have any advice or tricks on how to get the strut back on the car?

2. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    there is a split in the back of the knuckle that is where the pinch bolt tightens. use a blunt end chisel that is wider than the opening on the knuckle and carefully tap it into that split to widen it. then you should be able to fit the lower end othe strut in. some of the FSDs have extra thick paint on the bottom.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Try measuring the new FSD against the old strut. Wonder what the difference is. Maybe the paint on the FSD is very thick & causing the problem.

Let us know how this turns out. FSD Konis are in my future.

4. aaronosaurus

aaronosaurus New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just calipered the struts, and they are the same(the FSD read ~0.15 mm thiner, but at this point I don't trust my hands). I'll try the chisel and see if that gets us some wiggle room.

Thanks for the late saturday reply!

5. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome-I have been exactly where you are!! remember-PATIENCE!

6. aaronosaurus

aaronosaurus New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So yes, patience is very key. I ended up pulling off the strut that was stuck(thankfully it came free), and cleaned it and the inside surface it will slide against THOROUGHLY with a wire brush. Then a very thin coat of grease and I lined everything up. Here you really have to grunt and shove on the knuckle to get the everything together. This is also the part where you really want a helper. It's really hard to get the bolts on the top hat through the mounts and secured while also holding the coilover.

The trick here seemed to be get everything lined up, and the strut seated up to at least the point where the tab on the tube is in the notch on the knuckle. If you try to apply the floor-jack-and-hammer method from the start the strut tube can bend far enough to bind everything. At that point I think you're better off just starting over.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement! And the FSDs are great.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Glad to hear you worked it out. Sometimes patience seems to be the hardest tool to find. :wink: Also glad to hear you are liking the FSD KONIs. :Thumbsup:

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I've not had favorable experience with FSD struts for whatever that's worth.

For strut bodies causing a tight fit, there is an OEM tool for spreading the pinch gap. Depending on how much gap is required a 1/4 inch drive extension can substitute. Insert the extension into the gap with square flats parallel, then turn ninety degrees to spread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes the trick is to get it all lined up. If the angle of the 2 is off slightly it will just bind up and not go togther.